Strange thought - waxing a jacket

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Mr_C_Hinecap, Nov 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It is raining, I'm off on exercise, my mind turns to comfort and style.

Has anyone waxed a CS95 jacket before? I remember Barbour used to do DPM jackets years ago, and I know Goretex is good. I just wondered whether any other loony had waxed an issue jacket? Just one of those slightly mad potential mods that might just work for sleeting rain.

2. Barbour used to make DPM jackets (They may still do!?) but I belive that these were baned as they happen to catch fire very easily?

If you want a good solution to staying dry, and sill looking good, have a loog at the Arktis range of Waterproof Smocks, or for a far less money solution, go get a dutch gortex jacket (that fits under your smock) have a look at SASS for these.

Linkies:-

http://www.arktisltd.co.uk/Products/1015_waterproofsmock.htm

http://www.sasskit.co.uk/

3. No, but I would be interested to hear the results if you decide to go ahead.

As an aside, a comrade told me an anecdote combining an attempt to waterproof an issue field jacket with the perils of living in shared accomodation.

Before an exercise, he decided to waterproof said jacket and put it into the washing machine in his shared house, along with some waterproofing gunk which he poured into the detergent tray. However, being an absent minded type, he forgot to actually set the machine going. Imagine his suprise when he returned an hour or so later to find his still dry jacket on the top and one of his female housemate's smalls on their final rinse.

4. As you say Barbour used to do one. At that time a few lads waxed issue jackets to get similar results more cheaply. It does keep the rain off, but you will get very damp under the jacket if you are at all active due to the fact that the jacket cannot breathe. You will also find that the jacket looks a bit like it is wet through, and as such will stand out like the testicles on a bulldog if you wear it when it isn't peeing down.

5. If you waxed an issue jacket I'd have thought the gloop would bleed through and be extremely messy on anything you wore under it.

Waxed jackets usually have a liner to sperate the stuff from the user, I have reproofed jackets before, melt the wax in a pan of boiling water and paint on using a paint brush, if you do it sparingly you might get away with it.

Worth a try, keep us posted.

6. Be careful what you wish for. Does the expression boil-in-the-bag mean anything to you. The venting on a CS95 jacket is not sufficient to enable sealing the body. Bear this in mind, if you are likely to build up a sweat in it.

On the other hand, if you're one of the shiny-arrsed, pie eating variety, the words "build up a sweat" will mean nothing to you anyway. :)

If you must... melt the wax first and brush it on, do the seams first, then the body panels, then the seams again - and enjoy smelling like a fecking candle.

7. Nikwax have probably got something that will do the job for you. I am quite certain that they do because all the Pertex outdoor kit relies on Nikwax.

I wouldn't try the wax idea though because as gloworm says Waxed jackets usually have a liner to sperate the stuff from the user, I have reproofed jackets before, melt the wax in a pan of boiling water and paint on using a paint brush, if you do it sparingly you might get away with it.

8. The smock should be water-repellant already; this will obviously degrade with time and washng, however can be renewed with agents such as mystolene mk. 9 (or Nikwax-type stuff if that's all you can find). Be aware that waxing jackets will, as said above, have negative effects on IRR properties and flame-retardence, and also will make the jacket much less breathable; part of the reason we use polycotton jackets rather than fully-waterproof ones besides cost and noise reasons is comfort in as many weathers as possible; would you wear your waxed Barbour in the hot sun on Dartmoor in July?

I occasionally reproof the jacket with commercial water-repellent stuff; when it gets really wet I'll wear gore-tex underneath (before the purists pipe up I'll point out that I actually keep things I need to get at in my smock pockets). Waxing t would be an interesting experiment, but I wouldn't do it on my only jacket.