Strange Spam

Today I received a very strange spam message:

--------------------------
D_N, I'll need you to assist me, Do you have a moment?

Thanks,
Ron Sinclair

Sent from my iPhone

Now, I don't personally know any Ron Sinclair, and the email address is

gm3638903@gmail.com

I know of one Ron Sinclair who works for one of our competitors, but I can't imagine that he would contact me out of the blue and hence I reckon that this is some kind of phishing attempt to get me to reply and confirm that my email address is live.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ron Sinclair

Sent from my iPhone

gm3638903@gmail.com

I know of one Ron Sinclair who works for one of our competitors, but I can't imagine that he would contact me out of the blue and hence I reckon that this is some kind of phishing attempt to get me to reply and confirm that my email address is live.

Any ideas?
It sounds as if either your, or his, email contacts list has been obtained. It's definitely phishing, or an attempt to get you to click on a harmful link.
If you right click on the email, you should have the options to mark the email as junk, and/or block the sender.
I would say, don't reply. Don't click on any links, mark the email as junk/block sender.

I've not replied and there are no links in the test to click on so I assume that it's phishing.

Assigned to junk on my email system (Thunderbird / MS365)

send me £23000 and I'll fix it

Cheap at the price.
What Megatonnage nuke will you be using?

Cheap at the price.
What Megatonnage nuke will you be using?
First I was going to turn your computer off and on again, then in the unlikely event that doesnt work i then set fire to your computer, delete your email account and run off with the cash.

4(T)

LE

Thanks,
Ron Sinclair

Sent from my iPhone

gm3638903@gmail.com

Any ideas?

Thats pretty much the same spam format you get from the millions of Yahoo mail accounts that were hacked.

Short enquiry message or just "Hi, how are you?" plus an email address or hyperlink. Often sent from the accounts of people you do in fact know (or did, before they died years ago!).

First I was going to turn your computer off and on again, then in the unlikely event that doesnt work i then set fire to your computer, delete your email account and run off with the cash.
Don't pay attention to this one, he is obviously a phisher working for some big boss in an Indian, maybe Nigerian, phishing call centre.

If he was a true professional in IT support he would have told you to switch off your computer, count to 10, then turn your computer back on....................................before setting fire to it.

Don't pay attention to this one, he is obviously a phisher working for some big boss in an Indian, maybe Nigerian, phishing call centre.

If he was a true professional in IT support he would have told you to switch off your computer, count to 10, then turn your computer back on....................................before setting fire to it.
Pah, I bet you don't even use Thermite.

edited to add - how dare you assume someone calling my support line can count to ten

Pah, I bet you don't even use Thermite.

edited to add - how dare you assume someone calling my support line can count to ten
Sorry, I assumed that the majority of your customer group would be able to count up to twelve - once they had taken their mittens off..

Sorry, I assumed that the majority of your customer group would be able to count up to twelve - once they had taken their mittens off..
so long as they can spell £23000

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
It's Cheltenham testing the line is live before the MiB kick your doors in.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Auld-Yin The Book Club 7
don't tell him pike The Intelligence Cell 97
Provost The NAAFI Bar 96

Latest Threads