Strange service number

Some advice on this one would be much appreciated;

Being a young whipper snapper I'm starting at RMAS shortly and so have been issued my service number, only I've come to notice its not like anyone else's as it reads 1700****. I have some history with the RMR but that was after JPA was introduced, so why the strange number?

Just so I can prepare a quick-fire answer for my C/Sgt. in January. I'm keen not to be 'special'

Being a young whipper snapper I'm starting at RMAS shortly and so have been issued my service number, only I've come to notice its not like anyone else's as it reads 1700****. I have some history with the RMR but that was after JPA was introduced, so why the strange number?

Just so I can prepare a quick-fire answer for my C/Sgt. in January. I'm keen not to be 'special'
too late for that

You have been identified early as someone who has just over half the value of a 'Spartan'.

how many digits does it have?