Strange Equipment from your Job.

The EOD world throws up many innovative ideas and equipment, some works, some are a bit of a white elephant.

Strange bits of kit won’t just be the bastion of EOD, I’m sure many roles, trades and job have kit that will seem bizarre to people outside that world (as well as some in it).

I’ll start with WHALE. A piece of radiographic equipment, nothing special you might think, we already used Radiography with small X-ray generators and plates (man portable), however WHALE was brought in because of the threat of Large Vehicle Born IEDs, it requires a large truck to transport it about, only a few people in the Squadron could operate it and because of the high dosage rates when it was used it could not be trained on and required permission from very high up to use. I don’t think it was ever used, just hours spent accounting and polishing it.

What have you used?

Is that was what was carried about in the Mowag Duro vehicles which all went through Withams a while back? Massive things. impressive.

After leaving it was a Time Domain Reflectometer. Very Dr. Who and who would not like that.

Incidentally I understand that the theme tune used (among other things) a wobbulator as part of the instrument set.

Rubidium Frequency Standards. In the Clansman era, there was a classroom at Blandford for Antennas and Propagation - my classroom for a few years. In it was a bunch of Clansman sets, and their antenna systems. Complete with the test sets for them. One of them (I think the 353) came with a Rubidium Frequency Standard.

Essentially an atomic clock - provided a very stable oscillator to calibrate other stuff from. One of them was occasionally useful. But I had four of the damned things. If the MOD paid less than $250K per, I would be surprised. Three of them sat under a bench unused for my 3-year posting. Ridiculous waste of money.

ugly

LE
Desk top oscilloscopes, laughingly called man portable, we didnt have a portable power supply to power them up. Luckily they remained at tech support despite that the technical instructors were convinced we used them every day!
Edited to add this was after leaving the army, it was BR which was like the Royal Signals but with a little bit less polishing and more testing with 2 pound hammers!

Rubidium Frequency Standards. In the Clansman era, there was a classroom at Blandford for Antennas and Propagation - my classroom for a few years. In it was a bunch of Clansman sets, and their antenna systems. Complete with the test sets for them. One of them (I think the 353) came with a Rubidium Frequency Standard.

Essentially an atomic clock - provided a very stable oscillator to calibrate other stuff from. One of them was occasionally useful. But I had four of the damned things. If the MOD paid less than $250K per, I would be surprised. Three of them sat under a bench unused for my 3-year posting. Ridiculous waste of money.
Doesn't surprise me. If it cost a million quid then lets have lots; if it cost a fiver, like a practice morse key, half-a-dozen if you were lucky in stores for approx the hundred-odd trainee RTGs at 8 Sigs at any one time.

MoD accountants, hey?

TIGR (Tactical Imaging and Ground Reporting). It was of absolute importance to 16X to have someone trained on this before deploying. War winning stuff.

I then never heard of it, much less saw it used, again.

Still, it came in useful in my Civvy job when they did the forced "tell me something interesting about yourself"

"Well, not many know this, but I am a Tiger trainer..."

I used to work for a company that were the sole agents for the Polilight 500 at the time. A magic lamp that would light up fingerprints/bloodstains/whatever. They had Xenon lamps that were quite temperamental and often needed replacing.

We sold them to the Forensic Science Service (RIP).

polilight.jpg

Computerised BATCO decoder for Army aircrew. Hand-held device with a battery-life of half a sortie, on/off switch just where you could catch it every time, landscape-orientated so it fouled the crewman's cyclic. Had to go back to RSWO every night to be loaded. But somebody made money out of it.

In the RN we had SLUTT’s on many vessels (Ship Launched Underwater Transponder Target) used for testing active sonars. Then they allowed WRNs at sea so multiple slutts.........

Is that was what was carried about in the Mowag Duro vehicles which all went through Withams a while back? Massive things. impressive.
No, this was back in ‘95. The Euro’s had an EOD or EOD ECM Box on the back.

After leaving it was a Time Domain Reflectometer. Very Dr. Who and who would not like that.

I fiddled with TDR's at 12 su salt lake Cyprus cable fault /high resistance locator. 86 ish it was generally operated by the grown ups.

FOAMING PIG - Used in NI to contain the explosion from car bombs.

ugly

LE
Need to get one and advertise it as used by seal team 6