Strange Dreams

I had a scoot around on Google regarding B&W dreams.

As I sort of alluded to it appears to be down to the influence of black and white media.

There is a research paper on this but it is behind the Elsevier paywall (Elsevier motto: "You pay for the research - we charge for you reading it"). Fakkin scalping bandits.

This is the abstract:

This study aimed to find out whether differences in the reported colour of dreams can be attributed to the influence of black and white media or to methodological issues. Two age groups, with different media experience, were compared on questionnaire and diary measures of dream colour. Analysis revealed that people who had access to black and white media before colour media experienced more greyscale dreams than people with no such exposure, and there were no differences between diary and questionnaire measures of dream colour. Moreover, there were inter-group differences in the recall quality of colour and black and white dreams that point to the possibility that true greyscale dreams occur only in people with black and white media experience.

There is an overview in New Scientist here:

Well that was obviously my initial thought as well.

But I think it is a bit more complex than that in reality.

Black and white is not natural to humans. Nothing is in B&W in reality.

B&W is an artifact of art (drawing on paper) and early photography/cinema. In both cases it is a technical limitation of the media used.

It must be more difficult for the brain to dream interpret the world as B&W than simply to reflect it in colour because it will have to look at every part of an image and work out the black, white and grey bits for every part of that image.

Maybe the monochrome dreamers have more brain power!
for a man who dreams in glorious 3D Dolby SurroundSound technicolour, that might not be a theory you want to propagate.

gorillaguts981

War Hero
One that has stayed with me for about 30 years and is still vivid and involved a group of us going on a shooting trip. About 8 of us took a train to West Wales and were dropped at a remote unmanned station up in the hills late at night. We had a few miles to walk up to a hostel in the hills. I've never been to that part of the world so my brain was making it up. Each of us had a bag and a rifle slip as we walked up through a forest ride. As we were walking and talking, one of the group slung his unbagged rifle over his shoulder with the barrel pointing backward. It discharged and I caught the bullet through the top of my left lung, a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser. I was quickly taken to the hostel and someone legged it back to the station (pre mobile phones). They wanted me to lie down but I knew that would be fatal so I sat up all night in a kitchen chair slowly bleeding. Come first light I started to feel giddy so I stood up. As I did I started to get tunnel vision and my legs went. I saw the bloodstained mat rushing up as I fell and knew that was it. My last thought in the dream was 'what next?' and I woke up instantly and fully alert. To say it put the shits up me don't do the words justice. I wondered if I had croaked in the dream, would I have really checked out. I stayed pretty wired all that day and I can still recall all the detail. My wife sometimes wakes up sobbing because she thinks a family member has died and we have to phone up, regardless of time to reassure her that person is OK. Most of the time we can't work out what triggered the dream.

for a man who dreams in glorious 3D Dolby SurroundSound technicolour, that might not be a theory you want to propagate.
I did rather think I might be shooting myself in the foot there but on balance I decided that it was necessary for the advancement of science.

Perhaps I need to refine my theory.

I am definitely one of the over 55s who should be occasionally be dreaming in B&W but to the best of my knowledge I never have.

A speriment: Looking around my kitchen I can close my eyes and picture what I have seen, in colour. I cannot picture it in B&W. I can mentally conjure up a B&W picture by imagining a B&W version which I am taking from an old movie/TV show but its not the same kitchen. Odd.

One that has stayed with me for about 30 years and is still vivid and involved a group of us going on a shooting trip. About 8 of us took a train to West Wales and were dropped at a remote unmanned station up in the hills late at night. We had a few miles to walk up to a hostel in the hills. I've never been to that part of the world so my brain was making it up. Each of us had a bag and a rifle slip as we walked up through a forest ride. As we were walking and talking, one of the group slung his unbagged rifle over his shoulder with the barrel pointing backward. It discharged and I caught the bullet through the top of my left lung, a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser. I was quickly taken to the hostel and someone legged it back to the station (pre mobile phones). They wanted me to lie down but I knew that would be fatal so I sat up all night in a kitchen chair slowly bleeding. Come first light I started to feel giddy so I stood up. As I did I started to get tunnel vision and my legs went. I saw the bloodstained mat rushing up as I fell and knew that was it. My last thought in the dream was 'what next?' and I woke up instantly and fully alert. To say it put the shits up me don't do the words justice. I wondered if I had croaked in the dream, would I have really checked out. I stayed pretty wired all that day and I can still recall all the detail. My wife sometimes wakes up sobbing because she thinks a family member has died and we have to phone up, regardless of time to reassure her that person is OK. Most of the time we can't work out what triggered the dream.
that's a good one.

i had one on tour where i woke up lying in a wheat field, in uniform but without any kit, its bright sunlight and eventually i become aware of a presence next to me. i turn and see its my mum (who passed away when i was a kid),she tells me that i'm dead but not to panic, everything will be okay and nothing can hurt me. to be honest it was pleasant, i wasnt scared during the dream and everything just seemed...okay. it was like being on valium.

i woke up in the dark and like a slap in the in the face i realised i'd fallen asleep whilst out on patrol; maybe on a short halt or when we'd paused on an ambush but in the darkness i know that i'm all on my own and the platoon has moved off leaving me behind. i start scrambling about for my weapon but cant find it then notice i dont have my body armour or helmet on. bizarrely i find them stacked behind me and cant understand why i've taken them off. a few more seconds pass and as consciousness recovers a bit more i start to understand that i'm not in the field, i'm in the courtyard of the compound we'd bedded down in.

even though the dream itself wasnt unpleasant its probably the scariest one i've ever had because of the setting/timing and the manner in which i woke up. i'm a pretty logical person but every time i crossed a wheat field for the next couple of days a small part of me expected to die.

needless to say i can recall that one pretty clearly even 10 years later.

Last edited:
I find Statins make me have extremely vivid dreams, often in glorious technicolour. When I can remember them they are often partly anxiety based and often go back as far as recruit training and particularly RMAS. I'm always going somewhere, I'm often late and running to catch up and I always never have the right kit - and have to stuff it all in my bergan in a disorganised mess. Weird because I am almost never like that in real life

I find Statins make me have extremely vivid dreams, often in glorious technicolour. When I can remember them they are often partly anxiety based and often go back as far as recruit training and particularly RMAS. I'm always going somewhere, I'm often late and running to catch up and I always never have the right kit - and have to stuff it all in my bergan in a disorganised mess. Weird because I am almost never like that in real life

in my experience you need to watch out for attacking Donald Trumps

I'm always going somewhere, I'm often late and running to catch up and I always never have the right kit - and have to stuff it all in my bergan in a disorganised mess.
I often have a similar one, but it always takes place at my old school. I can never find the classroom that I am supposed to be in for that lesson.

Anyone else a night freak? I make quite terrifying noises in my sleep.

I often have a similar one, but it always takes place at my old school. I can never find the classroom that I am supposed to be in for that lesson.

i dont talk in my sleep as much as i used to but this has been made up for by the small children who now reside in my house.

the baby laughing in his sleep is pretty weird

Sometimes I'm at Staff College and haven't prepared and I'm running around like a fucking idiot trying to get my shit in one sock.

Wait, that wasn't just a dream....

I often cry out at night though. Weird.

Last edited:
I rarely remember dreams. The one that does stand out was my scoring a try, under the posts, at Murrayfield for Scotland against the All Blacks (I'm utterly sh*t at Rugby).

My father had one when he was playing football for Scotland. Open goal, so he went to boot it in, only to suddenly hear my mother scream "OW!" as he kicked her at full power. He said the most annoying bit was that he woke up so never knew if he scored the goal or not.

I usually either do not dream, or don't remember them. However recently I dreamed I had ordered one of those boxes of herbs and spices etc. that you can add your ingredients to in order to make a delicious meal. It arrived, I opened it and it contained two baby crocodiles and a tiger cub. It ended with me scouring the kitchen looking for food for my new pets. Pretty 'kin weird

tiv

War Hero
Since being diagnosed with eye cancer in December I was dreaming most nights. Always a stressful situation to which there was no solution. One silly one was hearing a noise which, on looking out the back door, was caused by water pouring out an overflow - an overflow no longer connected to anything and I couldn't work out how. Since I've had radiotherapy the dreams have deminished thankfully.

Latest Threads