Stovies

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by 1stgulfmac, Jun 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now since my Mum died I have not had a decent plate of Stovies. She took the recipie with her. Stovies are a Scots delicacy of unbounded joy, not to confused with poorer imitations such as scouse, hotpot or any other English/Irish/Welsh variant. Yes I have "googled" this and tried some but its not quite right. I even tried Ma Broon's version in the excellent book,

[​IMG]

(Nothing to do with Des(Swiss Tony) or the other idiot in charge)

So now we have a cookery detachment some help please.

2. Tak' a puckle tatties - Kerr's Pink's a guid bet, though ony maincrap'll dae.
    Pare 'em, an' slice 'em thin-kine.
    Drap 'em in a suppie watter, forbyes they micht gan' broon.
    Syne tak' an ingin or twa, an' peel an' dice.
    Noo, here's the tricky bit. Y'see, history's a wee bit contermashious. Some wad say stovies need a bit o' beef. Ithers wad say, stovies wiz invented 'cos there wiz NAE beef tae be had.
    Noo, me, I sweer stovies shouldna hae beef. For the only reason we eat stovies, is 'cos we were fair scunnnered o' tatties in ony ither shape or form.
    Bit if ye really wint tae gie yer stovies a wee bit o' extra flavour, add a couple o' rashers o' smokey bacon. I ken it's nae traditional, bit this is progress!

Okay, here's fit ye dae.
    Heat a pucklie ile in an aul' pan. It his tae be an aul' pan, 'cos the stovies are only stovies if they're welded tae the bottom. An' ye widna want tae dae that tae a guid pan, wid ye?
    It can be ony kine o' ile ye like - olive, corn, whale, engine . . .
    Syne cut up a bittie smokey bacon - posh fowk use lardons, fitivver they are. Hayve it in i' pan, an' fry a bittie. Syne hayve in i' ingins, an' fry a bittie mair.
    Fan they're a bittie birsled, hayve in i' tatties, an' rummle 'em aroon' for a whilie.
    Noo it's cheatin' time.
    We nivver hid stock cubes in the true stovie days. Bit a ham cube is movin wi' the times.
    Sae's a dash o' L&P.
    Saut an' pepper, a suppie bilin' watter, an' simmer for twa or three days.
    Weel, 'at's a bit o' an exaggeration. Probably twa 'oors'll dae.
    As lang as they're biled dry an' welded tae the pan.
    The scrapin's are the best bit.
    Serve wi' oatcakes an' beetroot, an' a big gless o' milk.
    Syne a guid dram for efters.

3. Why has my Mrs been allowed to join the forum??????

Can't a bloke find a bit of peace SOMEWHERE?? Now I only have my shed left.

4. Lea and Perrins
    Oatcakes
    Beetroot

Whats wrang wi breed and butter, michty me yer posh. Now beef yer right but my mum also used sossidges.

5. Dear Mrs MacFairmaid o' Perth

Can you make stovies with ra' corn beef eh?

6. NO that's just corned beef hash FFS!

7. Can anyone give a translation of the fairmaids post, as I have not had the pleasure of Stovies (with bacon) since 1976.

Cheers in advance

Probably why I never understood a certain Mr Burns night stuff!

8. Have I stumbled into some foreign language forum?

9. Stovies aren't stovies unless they're made with Corned Dog.

10. Daphne Broon.....is that you?

11. Among the denizens of GSUOTC in 1967 it was boiled potatoes and Oxo gravy - but they were only undergraduates, of course. Some of them were attending some domestic science college somewhere, but that didn't seem to make any difference.

12. dont forget that they have to be cooked and then left for 24hrs before reheating and eating. The best and finest stovies (ex. the ones out of my mums kitchen) are the Washington in Dundee, just next to the train station. Cooked on a gas stove on the floor behind the counter, best Ive ever had.

13. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Brilliant - although I'll move away from the use of engine oil

For those who can't understand this - you're missing a treat :D

14. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Late 80's for me when I was posted from Kinloss.
    The's a pub on the way to Findhorn called The Stables,owened by a couple of ex-Armourer NCO's who always used to do up a batch of stovies,neeps & tatties ect for us on a friday night

15. Allow me:

Take a small quantity of potatos, Kerr's Pinks for preference, although any other variety will serve just as well.
    Peel and slice them thinly.
    Immerse these in a little water, lest they discolour in the meantime.
    Then, taking an oinion, or two, peel and dice.
    There is some controversy regarding the next ingredient:

There are those who say Stovies require the addition of beef to the mix; the more impecunious contend that Stovies only exist because there was no beef to be had. Personally, being minted, I tend to the former view - I am so minted I can even afford to cavalierly add smokey bacon to the mix. It isn't traditional, but demonstrates a certain style and individuality.

Having prepared our ingredients:

Heat some oil in a pan. For preference it should be somewhat antiquated since Stovies are only worthy of the name if they are welded to the metal and one wouldn't want to spoil one's best Gordon Ramsay Approved pots, would one?
    You may use any oil for this; olive, corn whale or, indeed, engine.
    Then cut up your smokey bacon - inhabitants of Surrey may substitute lardons at this point. I profess never to have heard of them. Fry the bacon and then add the onions. When the bacon and onions are suitable scorched, add the potatos and mix for a short period.

Chef's tip:

Prior to civilisation reaching these parts, stock cubes were exotic and previously unused in the recipe. Adding a ham stock cube demonstrates sophistication. Similarly, a dash of Lee & Perrins.

Season with salt and pepper and add some (but not too much) boiling water and cook for a couple of days.
    I jest! A couple of hours should suffice, just as long as the concoction has boiled dry and is welded to the pot as previously described. The crispy bits taste best.

Serve with oatcakes and beetroot, and a large glass of milk.

Finish with a decent malt for pudding.