Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Stormzy scholarship for black students

It's why I'd like to see a return of grants. Based on academic achievement and wealth. Or straight A student from poor back ground = free ride, low grades from rich back ground = no help.
Problem is, grades are at best a proxy measure for academic potential and are usually set with the underlying assumption of certain basics in teaching, career advice, continuity and family support. Where this assumed factors aren't present, the proxy measure doesn't hold.

I'd liken it to the old standing jump gym test. You place your mark on the wall then place another as high above it as you can. If all you're interested in is how high up the wall the second mark is, you don't need to bother with the first - but if what you're interested in is how high the individual can jump...

It's why I'd like to see a return of grants. Based on academic achievement and wealth. Or straight A student from poor back ground = free ride, low grades from rich back ground = no help.

Whole I see your point, there are three broad problems with this.

The first is that the increase in tuition fees has actually seen a rise in the number of applications from poorer students. That's not to say that fees aren't a demotivator for some, but the statistical evidence for grants increasing applicatons isn't strong.

The second is that the poorest students already have a comparatively smooth ride through university. There are a lot of grants and loans to help out those with an extremely low family income. Cambridge is particularly good for this with their Newton grants. The problem comes for those with fairly low family incomes. The threshold for a lot of support is a household income of around 30-40k per year. There's little help from established sources but it's still very hard to put someone through uni on an income that low.

The third problem is that graduates tend to make more money than non graduates. As currently configured, the student loan functions as a de facto graduate tax so you'll only pay it back if you benefit from your degree. Reintroducing maintenance grants means you're asking low income earners to subsidise the education of people who will go on to earn far more than them directly as a result of that education.

Problem is, grades are at best a proxy measure for academic potential and are usually set with the underlying assumption of certain basics in teaching, career advice, continuity and family support. Where this assumed factors aren't present, the proxy measure doesn't hold.

I'd liken it to the old standing jump gym test. You place your mark on the wall then place another as high above it as you can. If all you're interested in is how high up the wall the second mark is, you don't need to bother with the first - but if what you're interested in is how high the individual can jump...

I get what you're saying but there are other ways of ensuring academic achievement in high school etc.

Or streaming abilities, removal of trouble makers to special facilities.

The first is that the increase in tuition fees has actually seen a rise in the number of applications from poorer students.
That's true so far as it goes but the rate of application for the lowest POLAR quintile is still only around 20% of that of the highest. I'd disagree that the effect is as slight as you suggest.

The third problem is that graduates tend to make more money than non graduates. As currently configured, the student loan functions as a de facto graduate tax so you'll only pay it back if you benefit from your degree. Reintroducing maintenance grants means you're asking low income earners to subsidise the education of people who will go on to earn far more than them directly as a result of that education.

I would like to know what the exact stats are, I've said before on ARRSE that soldiers with a bit of rank tend to be paid more than most teachers and nurses. Are the stats skewed by people who earn tens of millions working for a hedge fund or by certain jobs only being made available (or easier) for those with degrees?

Stormzy launches Cambridge scholarship
Some guy called Stormzy who i understand is a rapper has decided to fund two scholaships to Oxford university. Good to see someone using their money to help disadvantaged students who couldnt afford to go there, so well done to him. Except, the scholarships are only available to black students. Question, is this racist? or are you allowed to define the rules as you see fit if you are supplying the money. Genuine question as i couldnt find any clarification about the rules anywhere. As to my position i dont believe in positive discrimination in any sphere, as far as i'm concerned it's the best person for the position be they male/female/black/white (other colours/genders are available but i cant list them all).
Actually, it's for Cambridge University, not Oxford ( pedant mode disengaged)

Stormzy launches Cambridge scholarship
Some guy called Stormzy who i understand is a rapper has decided to fund two scholaships to Oxford university. Good to see someone using their money to help disadvantaged students who couldnt afford to go there, so well done to him. Except, the scholarships are only available to black students. Question, is this racist? or are you allowed to define the rules as you see fit if you are supplying the money. Genuine question as i couldnt find any clarification about the rules anywhere. As to my position i dont believe in positive discrimination in any sphere, as far as i'm concerned it's the best person for the position be they male/female/black/white (other colours/genders are available but i cant list them all).

Another discussion on arrse discussing race dragging out the same old dreary arguement to what end.

**** off, read around some middle of the road, well balanced sociology texts (not hard left, tip of the spear loony tunes identity politics stuff) and decide whether

1. we have any real levels of positive discrimination in society over and above the isolated examples given by the daily mail or the small bubble that is visual media ie brown news readers

2. Study some socio-economic group statistics on UK society. Start with health, Education, Justice.

Come back and tell us if

1. Stormzy funding two scholarships to Oxbridge is going to end up with us all in a cannibals cook pot
2. You accept you feel a little bit anti black people

Its this constant low level, vaguely acceptable questioning/dripping about a specific group of people identified in whatever way that leads to idiots on the street throwing pigs blood at synagogues, and abusing young women in the street because of what they wear on their heads

Its about time some of the moderators came up with a formulae for deepsixing these types of thread

Last edited:
I would like to know what the exact stats are, I've said before on ARRSE that soldiers with a bit of rank tend to be paid more than most teachers and nurses. Are the stats skewed by people who earn tens of millions working for a hedge fund or by certain jobs only being made available (or easier) for those with degrees?

I think it's a case of the latter. The army is a bit unusual in terms of paying so much for such minimal entry requirements (and often minimal effort or ability, but that's another matter). Most jobs paying 40k or more require either a degree or a trade.

Of my friendship group from uni, the one who went into teaching is earning significantly less than everyone except the doctors and they'll all eventually end up in the top 3% of UK earners. The next lowest paid is my partner who is a civil servant taking home a little over an RSM's salary, with myself as the next highest. Everyone else is on serious money. Of everyone I know from uni, I'm probably in the bottom 10% of earners.

I know that's anecdotal and not necessarily representative of every uni or every course, but it's an indication nonetheless. That said, I'm led to bieve that you'll still earn a higher lifetime average salary if you go into certain trades than if you go to uni.

Piece of piss now GCSEs with teachers who have to care about you. I was suspended/wagged it for most of 5th year and did my GCCEs in isolation sat outside the Head Masters office in the corridor on my own. If I’d been in school now I’d have had my own private tutor to make sure I got at least a C in everything. :p
Obviously.

Except GCSEs are now 9-1, not A*-U. And there is no requirement for 1-to-1 tuition for *********.

You'd have been dumped in bottom set with the rest of the crayon sniffing retards.

Who'd have thought that a young musician using his own money to make sure two people who'd otherwise miss out can get to go to one of the world's leading universities could get the ARRSE gammon so riled?

The reality is that any British person can get into Oxbridge on merit , Student Finance does what it says on the tin , you dont need a sponsor if you have the brains.