Stormzy scholarship for black students

Of course - but it's highly unlikely refusal would be due to the colour of one's skin, nor would they be keeping a log of it as each potential student walked through the door.

FWIW, I happen to find Stormzy's gesture quite a good one.

The cynics and naysayers out there will talk of "positive discrimination", "it's clearly a tax avoidance thing", "if it were white students it would be racist" etc... All of which is very difficult to disagree with.

But in Western Society, particularly in the States, we do have a problem with underprivileged communities, and unfortunately there is an overwhelming demographic amongst these societies. From what I know of pioneering iconic figures in history, MLK, Malcom X, Muhammed Ali etc - they don't want our help - they want to stand up for themselves and be counted.

And so here we have a prominent member of our Black British society who has gained wealth, fame and success. Rather than spunk it all on Bentleys, gambling and hookers (like our 'eroic footballers) - he's standing up and using his power and wealth to help his fellow black British brothers and sisters lift themselves out of poverty and do something good and worthwhile with their lives.

And while it seems very discriminatory (black students only), the bigger picture for me is that a black person has recognised a problem in a black society and wants to address it.

I find it hard to fault that, to be fair.
I too find it an admirable idea.
It's his money, he can spend on who he likes.

No issues from this C/S

Let's face it rich black kids don't do "Grime", So what about the king fecking size underprivileged population of white kids, Are they not worthy of this or just worthy of buying your shite music. I guess they don't matter, racist twat.

Diversity my arse, inclusivity my dinner dumper!

I would applaud if it was to help ALL kids who come from disadvantaged backgrounds, But IT DOES NOT.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Am I right to assume this Stormy chap has a new record due for release and he needs some free publicity?
Seems unlikely. His last album was out pretty recently and he's just won best artist at the Brits. This is on top of him being the only grime artist who has really crossed over into the mainstrean.

He doesn't need the publicity. The fact that black kids should aspire to go to Oxbridge needs all the publicity it can get.

Let's face it rich black kids don't do "Grime", So what about the king fecking size underprivileged population of white kids, Are they not worthy of this or just worthy of buying your shite music. I guess they don't matter, racist twat.

I would applaud if it was to help ALL kids who come from disadvantaged backgrounds, But IT DOES NOT.

Snowflakery writ large.

"The nasty black man is sponsoring some black students. Wah! It's not fair! He's supporting a demographic that represents 2% of the population. Why isn't he willing to spend his money on the 80% who aren't black! Wah! Wah!"

If you're so outraged stick your hand in your pocket and support your indigenous brethren.

Snowflakery writ large.

"The nasty black man is sponsoring some black students. Wah! It's not fair! He's supporting a demographic that represents 2% of the population. Why isn't he willing to spend his money on the 80% who aren't black! Wah! Wah!"

If you're so outraged stick your hand in your pocket and support your indigenous brethren.
Although I said earlier its his money to do as he pleases, if someone else had said they are sponsoring 2 poor kids through university but they had to be white, I can imagine there would have been a fair bit of outrage.

I watched a video with an interview with ‘Lil Wayne’, a rather rat looking brown fellow who makes gangster rap with tattoos all over his face and silver teeth.

Let’s just say I had a pre-determined idea of what he’d be like but I was wrong.

He was asked about racism in the USA with regards ‘Black Lives Matter’ expecting him to stick the boot in and play the victim card. He said there wasn’t any racism otherwise he wouldn’t have 50% of his fans white and he wouldn’t be a millionaire. The interviewer tried to turn his viewpoint and get sound sound bites from him to get him siding with BLM and he left the interview.

Stormzy is thick as mince and I reckon this is getting blown out of proportion. I’m going to look into it a bit more before I make my mind up on it.
Got a link to that interview? I like most of what I've heard of Lil Wayne's music but I've never seen much footage of him off-duty and chatting.

LOLZ are you a joke puppet/parody account?

Another thought on Stormzy is he the guy who got shagged by Trump who then denied it or am i confusing him (stormzy) with someone else

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Although I said earlier its his money to do as he pleases, if someone else had said they are sponsoring 2 poor kids through university but they had to be white, I can imagine there would have been a fair bit of outrage.
This is a fair point. Poor white kids are an increasingly ignored demographic. White males are now the worst performers at school level by a margin. The problem is it's generally seen as racist to do anything that positively targets white people, even if they are demonstrably worse off than others.

Oxbridge is a alsight exception to this though. There still aren't enough poor white kids applying but there are a hell of a lot more than there are black kids.

The problem is it's generally seen as racist to do anything that positively targets white people, even if they are demonstrably worse off than others.
That'll come as a surprise to the HE sector. OFFA made it a standard part of the Access Agreements needed in exchange for the right to charge higher fees.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
That'll come as a surprise to the HE sector. OFFA made it a standard part of the Access Agreements needed in exchange for the right to charge higher fees.
Really? They require universities to specifically target underprivileged white male applicants?

Really? They require universities to specifically target underprivileged white male applicants?
Since 2016.
This guidance for the first time identifies the groups of students where most attention is needed, such as white boys from the poorest homes and students with specific learning difficulties.
Since I've worked in HE both north and south of the border and had WP as a specific part of my remits, I'd be right in the sights of anyone who thinks it, "racist to do anything that positively targets white people, even if they are demonstrably worse off than other" yet my door remains conspicuously un-knocked.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Since 2016.

Since I've worked in HE both north and south of the border and had WP as a specific part of my remits, I'd be right in the sights of anyone who thinks it, "racist to do anything that positively targets white people, even if they are demonstrably worse off than other" yet my door remains conspicuously un-knocked.
Interesting. I'm very surprised that hasn't had more comment.

Interesting. I'm very surprised that hasn't had more comment.
It's almost as if the reality isn't as important as the narrative, ain't it?