• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Stormzy scholarship for black students

No wonder this country is going to the dogs when people accept that sites like that are reputable and should be accepted as truthful.
I think most people are now so conditioned by their self-selecting social media feeds that the only 'real' news is the stuff that exactly matches their and their friends beliefs.

His first album went Platinum, he's got three Platinum and four Silver singles as a lead artist plus another Platinum and two Silvers as a featured artist, he was a millionaire at 24 and he's throwing one up Maya Jama on a regular basis.

I assume his impression of a rap star is going a bit better than yours?
I had to Google. Would. Good on him.

Thing is, this goes back to some of the comments on other threads about attitudes and segregation in the US. In the southern states, it is still very real and, indeed, right across the US you'll still see neighbourhoods divided largely on racial lines.
There's several states where they can't even get the kids to stop having racially segregated School Prom's.

Segregated prom - Wikipedia

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
"Cambridge has been criticised for not admitting many pupils from a black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) background.

In June, the university asked for help from schools and parents to increase the number of black British students it enrols."
See if they didn't put those stupid ethnic monitoring questionnaires on application forms? Crap like this wouldn't be an issue.

That way Cambridge, Oxford or any other university - along with surgeries, councils, HR etc could simply process people based on priority, score, intellect, talent, knowledge, ability etc.

Moreover, when the sad middle aged left wing whinge-bags come along with their clipboards and pens - specifically to see what colour people's faces are in the latest intake at Cambridge - the Principals can look them square in their eyes and say, unreservedly, unequivocally "we haven't got a clue - we admit people based on pure equality, ability and talent - now go and find something useful to do with your life, such as updating the phonebook from the weekly obituaries in the local rag, you meddlesome rat-bag, interfering dried up old trout".

Listening to him being interviewed.
To be fair he does come across as a double figure IQ type, but he's brighter than he appears.
Book, cover, etc.

He said he got six A*s, three As and five Bs at GCSE, but then only achieved a "humbling" ABCDE at A-Level: "For someone who would cuss in class and was on the verge of being expelled, it was A-Levels that showed me that in life you need work ethic."[13] Before focusing on his music full-time, he studied for an apprenticeship in Leamington Spa and worked in quality assurance for two years at an oil refinery in Southampton

Stormzy - Wikipedia

See if they didn't put those stupid ethnic monitoring questionnaires on application forms? Crap like this wouldn't be an issue.

That way Cambridge, Oxford or any other university - along with surgeries, councils, HR etc could simply process people based on priority, score, intellect, talent, knowledge, ability etc.

Moreover, when the sad middle aged left wing whinge-bags come along with their clipboards and pens - specifically to see what colour people's faces are in the latest intake at Cambridge - the Principals can look them square in their eyes and say, unreservedly, unequivocally "we haven't got a clue - we admit people based on pure equality, ability and talent - now go and find something useful to do with your life, such as updating the phonebook from the weekly obituaries in the local rag, you meddlesome rat-bag, interfering dried up old trout".
You do know that you very often have to attend a face-to-face interview for the Oxbridge, and others, entrance process?

Interviews | University of Oxford

Interviews | Undergraduate Study

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
You do know that you very often have to attend a face-to-face interview for the Oxbridge, and others, entrance process?

Interviews | University of Oxford

Interviews | Undergraduate Study
Of course - but it's highly unlikely refusal would be due to the colour of one's skin, nor would they be keeping a log of it as each potential student walked through the door.

FWIW, I happen to find Stormzy's gesture quite a good one.

The cynics and naysayers out there will talk of "positive discrimination", "it's clearly a tax avoidance thing", "if it were white students it would be racist" etc... All of which is very difficult to disagree with.

But in Western Society, particularly in the States, we do have a problem with underprivileged communities, and unfortunately there is an overwhelming demographic amongst these societies. From what I know of pioneering iconic figures in history, MLK, Malcom X, Muhammed Ali etc - they don't want our help - they want to stand up for themselves and be counted.

And so here we have a prominent member of our Black British society who has gained wealth, fame and success. Rather than spunk it all on Bentleys, gambling and hookers (like our 'eroic footballers) - he's standing up and using his power and wealth to help his fellow black British brothers and sisters lift themselves out of poverty and do something good and worthwhile with their lives.

And while it seems very discriminatory (black students only), the bigger picture for me is that a black person has recognised a problem in a black society and wants to address it.

I find it hard to fault that, to be fair.

Sorry (per the Aretha thread), it's going to feel like I'm coming after you twice this morning. I'm not meaning to.

I agree on debt aversion. On the other hand, a friend of mine has just done a paper on modern apprenticeships, which makes some good points on this.

Given the relative worth, in all senses, of many modern degrees, the modern apprenticeship route makes increasing sense. You don't accrue the debt; you gain hands-on experience over the course of study; and in terms of earning potential you typically come out on a par.

Funny how something that was deemed 'too expensive' is turning out to be a pragmatic solution. More power to it, I say.
The two very intelligent post grad 20 somethings I live with absolutely do not believe that their huge student loans are debts. "We only have to start paying it off when we earn 23k a year and that's never gonna happen"

Utterly baffles me and I was someone whose student finances were fÆcking atrocious:mrgreen:

I think most people are now so conditioned by their self-selecting social media feeds that the only 'real' news is the stuff that exactly matches their and their friends beliefs.
Its difficult moving out of your comfort zone on line, why would you. Most people who sat next to a stranger in a pub who disagreed with everything they said would just leave/move.

Human nature

The two very intelligent post grad 20 somethings I live with absolutely do not believe that their huge student loans are debts. "We only have to start paying it off when we earn 23k a year and that's never gonna happen"

Utterly baffles me and I was someone whose student finances were fÆcking atrocious:mrgreen:
Then one has to question the value/worth/call it what you will of degree-level educations.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Oh please!..... Where do you find this crap on the internet?

If he did said it and it’s true, at least quote a reputable source other than what looks like some surrogate BNP news source.

No wonder this country is going to the dogs when people accept that sites like that are reputable and should be accepted as truthful.
Prove he didn't.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Then one has to question the value/worth/call it what you will of degree-level educations.
In fairness, it isn't a debt in the usual sense of that word. It's more like a graduate tax with a threshold as it has no more impact on your ability to get a mortgage, etc than any other salary adjustment.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
So, you can't then?
I have far better things to do with my time than spend it refuting fantasy websites that you like to subribe to because they suit your views of the world as you think it should be.