Stormzy scholarship for black students

Another discussion on arrse discussing race dragging out the same old dreary arguement to what end.

**** off, read around some middle of the road, well balanced sociology texts (not hard left, tip of the spear loony tunes identity politics stuff) and decide whether

1. we have any real levels of positive discrimination in society over and above the isolated examples given by the daily mail or the small bubble that is visual media ie brown news readers

2. Study some socio-economic group statistics on UK society. Start with health, Education, Justice.

Come back and tell us if

1. Stormzy funding two scholarships to Oxbridge is going to end up with us all in a cannibals cook pot
2. You accept you feel a little bit anti black people

Its this constant low level, vaguely acceptable questioning/dripping about a specific group of people identified in whatever way that leads to idiots on the street throwing pigs blood at synagogues, and abusing young women in the street because of what they wear on their heads

Its about time some of the moderators came up with a formulae for deepsixing these types of thread
I've got to admit it.

I'm anti-lefttard, pc, f*ckwittery.

it is, afterall, they who have made it so that equality looks so unequal.

Although I am giggling at the current dramas surrounding trans-females and rad -fems.

As said above, stormy is doing a good deed. I just doubt the deed would be as well received were it a white entertainer setting funding up for white students.

it is, afterall, they who have made it so that equality looks so unequal.
It doesn't, you know. It just looks slightly less unequal than it used to be.

The reality is that any British person can get into Oxbridge on merit , Student Finance does what it says on the tin , you dont need a sponsor if you have the brains.

They need the brains anyway. They aren't going to get admitted because Stormzy is offering them a scholarship. They have to go through the admission process just like everyone else.

They need the brains anyway. They aren't going to get admitted because Stormzy is offering them a scholarship. They have to go through the admission process just like everyone else.
Exactly. He's not offering them the chance to go to Cambridge, he's offering them the chance to leave it without a level of debt that would deter them from taking up the place they'd earned.

Here's a prime example - Sadiq Khan Complains About ‘White Men’ In Latest Outburst
Obviously, his dad being an ex bus driver should make him an expert on the comings and goings of the TfL board.
Oh please!..... Where do you find this crap on the internet?

If he did said it and it’s true, at least quote a reputable source other than what looks like some surrogate BNP news source.

No wonder this country is going to the dogs when people accept that sites like that are reputable and should be accepted as truthful.

Absolutely correct, I work in the University, and the admissions process is long and difficult culminating in a fairly gruelling interview and testing process early in the Christmas break. If you are bright enough scholarships are available which cover not only the coursework but the student fees also. Wealth (or lack thereof) is no barrier to admission to the University.

Absolutely correct, I work in the University, and the admissions process is long and difficult culminating in a fairly gruelling interview and testing process early in the Christmas break. If you are bright enough scholarships are available which cover not only the coursework but the student fees also. Wealth (or lack thereof) is no barrier to admission to the University.
In reality the obstacles to get to Oxbridge start well before the admissions process for any working class student, not just black students,

Stormzy,

looks like lenny henry pretending to be a rap star,

I looked on youtube & require subtitles...

Stormzy,

looks like lenny henry pretending to be a rap star
His first album went Platinum, he's got three Platinum and four Silver singles as a lead artist plus another Platinum and two Silvers as a featured artist, he was a millionaire at 24 and he's throwing one up Maya Jama on a regular basis.

I assume his impression of a rap star is going a bit better than yours?

Anyone thought about setting up a scholarship that was almost impossible to fit the requirements for? That way, you can pretend to be a philanthropist, without actually spending any money.

His first album went Platinum, he's got three Platinum and four Silver singles as a lead artist plus another Platinum and two Silvers as a featured artist, he was a millionaire at 24 and he's throwing one up Maya Jama on a regular basis.

Eat shit, a billion flies can't be wrong.

Don't see the fuss, really. Man gives his own money to people he feels could do with it. We're still a long, long way away from the bizarre race-based admissions system some of the big American universities have been pulled up for using.

so less awards & money than than justin bieber....

Debt aversion is a significant demotivator of most low-income groups when applying to university, over and above the rest so I can actually see it doing some good. It's certainly better than nothing.

Agree entirely on the role model thing, though.
Sorry (per the Aretha thread), it's going to feel like I'm coming after you twice this morning. I'm not meaning to.

I agree on debt aversion. On the other hand, a friend of mine has just done a paper on modern apprenticeships, which makes some good points on this.

Given the relative worth, in all senses, of many modern degrees, the modern apprenticeship route makes increasing sense. You don't accrue the debt; you gain hands-on experience over the course of study; and in terms of earning potential you typically come out on a par.

Funny how something that was deemed 'too expensive' is turning out to be a pragmatic solution. More power to it, I say.