Stormzy scholarship for black students

Stormzy launches Cambridge scholarship
Some guy called Stormzy who i understand is a rapper has decided to fund two scholaships to Oxford university. Good to see someone using their money to help disadvantaged students who couldnt afford to go there, so well done to him. Except, the scholarships are only available to black students. Question, is this racist? or are you allowed to define the rules as you see fit if you are supplying the money. Genuine question as i couldnt find any clarification about the rules anywhere. As to my position i dont believe in positive discrimination in any sphere, as far as i'm concerned it's the best person for the position be they male/female/black/white (other colours/genders are available but i cant list them all).

I would argue that it is racist on the basis that should I for instance, offer a sponsorship to a student but they must be white, then I suggest I’d be slammed for it.

Furthermore, black kids are no more disadvantaged than white or for that matter, any other kid that’s been dragged up in similar circumstances. In fact I would argue that it’s the white kid that’s disadvantaged because they won’t have access to the additional assistance offered to other race groups.

I’d have had more support for this if Stormsy or whatever he’s calling himself, said that he would sponsor 2 kids from a given estate or geographic area.

The Guardian called. They want their bus back.
Don’t get me wrong. I’m not in the slightest bit bothered by this. My concern is that is exactly the sort of thing that feeds a particularly unpleasant mindset within society.

It does smack of massive double standards though.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Stormzy launches Cambridge scholarship
Some guy called Stormzy who i understand is a rapper has decided to fund two scholaships to Oxford university. Good to see someone using their money to help disadvantaged students who couldnt afford to go there, so well done to him. Except, the scholarships are only available to black students. Question, is this racist? or are you allowed to define the rules as you see fit if you are supplying the money. Genuine question as i couldnt find any clarification about the rules anywhere. As to my position i dont believe in positive discrimination in any sphere, as far as i'm concerned it's the best person for the position be they male/female/black/white (other colours/genders are available but i cant list them all).
Okay, this is one of those many instances in life where if you turn it through 180 degrees and it's still fair, it's fair but if you turn it through 180 and it isn't, it isn't.

Were I to institute a scholarship only for white kids, I'd be a 'racist'.

We live in an equal society - equal in the sense that while some have more than others, the inequalities are no longer necessarily based on race or religion - or, to put it another way, race or religion are no longer bars to access.

This is a good thing. David Lammy and an array of ‘Oxbridge is only for toffs’ teachers have created a situation where Oxbridge finds itself failing to recruit the legions of black (and disadvantaged for that matter) students who don’t apply in the first place because they’ve been put off with tales of toffdom and racism which’ll ensure they stand no chance of getting in, so why apply?

Stromzy’s doing this will change the dynamics- listen to Lammy and Mr Scruggs, the master in charge of university applications (who thinks all Oxbridge colleges should be converted into hostels for immigrants), neither of whom are particularly credible figures amongst black kids, or be told ‘go for it’ by a man who does (whatever we might think of his music and political views?

Indeed, I’d like to see Sir Lenny Henry, an array of footballists and others each offer to do the same thing. Lammy in particular would find that Oxbridge is rather less toff-racist than he thinks and would have to shut up. There are lots of very specific scholarships and grants in the University system, and if this has the intended effect, then jolly good.

Some Oxford scholarships on offer from my link above.

Hill Foundation Scholarship
Russian nationals wishing to study for a second undergraduate degree.Tuition fees, college fees and an annual grant towards living costs.12 noon (UK time) on 16 February 2018

The D. H. Chen Foundation Scholarship
Students ordinarily resident in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.Tuition fees, college fees, an annual grant towards living costs and up to £2,500 internship funding12 noon (UK time) on 16 February 2018

Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies Scholarship
UK residents from Muslim communities.Tuition fees and an annual grant towards living costs.12 noon (UK time) on 16 February 2018

Palgrave Brown Scholarship
Students must be ordinarily resident in and/or educated in the following countries:
Albania; Armenia; Azerbaijan; Belarus; Bosnia and Herzegovina; Bulgaria; Croatia; Czech Republic; Estonia; Georgia; Hungary; Kazakhstan; Kyrgyz Rep.; Latvia; Lithuania; Macedonia; Moldova; Montenegro; Poland; Romania; Russia; Serbia; Slovakia; Slovenia; Tajikistan; Turkmenistan; Ukraine; Uzbekistan.
Annual grant towards living costs.12 noon (UK time) on 16 February 2018

Palgrave Brown UK Scholarship
Students who have been resident or educated in Norfolk or Suffolk.Annual grant towards living costs.12 noon (UK time) on 16 February 2018

Reach Oxford Scholarship
Students from low-income countries.Tuition fees, college fees, annual grant towards living costs and one return air fare per year.12 noon (UK time) on 16 February 2018Lloyds Scholars ProgrammeUK residents from households with incomes of £25,000 or less.Additional bursary towards living costs and performance- related awards.5pm (UK time) on 25 May 2018

Okay, this is one of those many instances in life where if you turn it through 180 degrees and it's still fair, it's fair but if you turn it through 180 and it isn't, it isn't.

Were I to institute a scholarship only for white kids, I'd be a 'racist'.

We live in an equal society - equal in the sense that while some have more than others, the inequalities are no longer necessarily based on race or religion - or, to put it another way, race or religion are no longer bars to access.
It might be seen as discrimination but's it's what I would term positive action.

It's not that uncommon either. How many times have there been calls for more black policeman or more black nurses etc. The political world at all levels from standing for your local Council to seeking election to Parliament often see's call's for more black and other minority candidates and of course, for all of what I've mentioned here, for more women candidates candidates as well.

Larger employers including both public and private sector organisations will often want their workforce to reflect the ethnic makeup of the local community and that can have an effect on what criteria they might use when recruiting employees.

Positive action is used to try to move society as a whole to a more balanced position by encouraging some sections of it to get into study at college or university or better paid jobs that they might be excluded from for reasons often outside of their control.

Of course, there are plenty of people who are successful although their ethnicity could have placed them at a disadvantage but it didn't but, if you look at the statistics, people from minority ethnicities including black men and women still face a distinctive disadvantage in comparison to many others.

This scholarship offer is simply a leg up to try and make it all just a little bit more equal than it might be at the moment.

Last edited:
On reflection, I think discrimination was a wrong word to write. I should have said positive action.
You already have the fact that discrimination is illegal enshrined in law. Positive action is just another moniker for positive discrimination.

This has been done to death on other threads. You don't see complaints from certain ethnic minorities about discrimination; you do however see a strong work ethnic and a desire for betterment. Or, to put it another way, the absence of a blame culture.

so would my scholarship for white, makes from the North be described as 'positive action' or discriminatory?

I'm also a northern, white, make if it helps...
Run it past the University.

Let me know how it works out for you.

I watched a video with an interview with ‘Lil Wayne’, a rather rat looking brown fellow who makes gangster rap with tattoos all over his face and silver teeth.

Let’s just say I had a pre-determined idea of what he’d be like but I was wrong.

He was asked about racism in the USA with regards ‘Black Lives Matter’ expecting him to stick the boot in and play the victim card. He said there wasn’t any racism otherwise he wouldn’t have 50% of his fans white and he wouldn’t be a millionaire. The interviewer tried to turn his viewpoint and get sound sound bites from him to get him siding with BLM and he left the interview.

Stormzy is thick as mince and I reckon this is getting blown out of proportion. I’m going to look into it a bit more before I make my mind up on it.