Storm Around Tumbledown lyrics and tab

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by DrStealth, Aug 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i heard this song 'Storm around Tumbledown' at the local folk club the other night, a great powerful song, it had me in tears by the time the fella stopped playing, i wish i had heard of it earlier.

Storm Around Tumbledown is written by Dave Wilson, his duo is called Winter Wilson website http://www.winterwilson.com/,
    myspace is http://www.myspace.com/winterwilson
    You can hear a couple of minutes of him singing the song at http://cdbaby.com/cd/winterwilson1.

My version if based on what Vin Garbutt sings on Persona .. Grata. I've also heard that Anthony John Clarke sings it, but don't think he has released it on a CD yet.

Words and the chords I use are below, I am sure Dave Wilson uses different chords from me.

heres the lyrics and tab -

Dave Wilson - Storm Around Tumbledown
    Vin in D

Chorus
    / C Am F / C Am F (G) /
    There's a storm around Tumbledown tonight
    There's a storm around Tumbledown tonight

/ C Am F / C Am F / G C / F G C / Am F (G) /
    Only nineteen, young and so keen, he couldn't wait
    Sailing out with the boys all the cheers all the noise, he didn't hesitate
    He'd finished his training, he knew what to do
    Its just like an excercise, home in a week, maybe two
    And the rain clouds gathered

Chorus

As they were landing, they were told, here is the test
    We're heading for Tumbledown, come on boys, do your best
    There's glory in victory, its there for the taking
    You'll all be remembered, it's history we are making

Chorus

The shells cracked like thunder, all around him they fell
    And the bullets poured down on them, like a rain storm from hell
    What am I doing here, he asked himself why
    I'm only nineteen Lord I'm too young die

Chorus

An Argentine bullet, so swift and so true
    Ended this poor boys life in a second or two
    No more will he suffer the fear and the pain
    He'll never no more see the shores of England again

Chorus

cheers to Simon for teaching me the tune, and of cource to the writer Dave Wilson, i hope you dont mind me ripping you off and posting your material here. :wink:

2. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

thanks for this one - it's really getting you

gonna be one of my favs for sure
    giving it a try i guess it's supposed to be either F major or D minor

3. Just tried and liked, the MP3 version is now inbound

thanks for the pointer to this guy.

medders

4. That'll be you off in the back garden with your bivvy again then?

5. How I spend my social life is feck all to do with you Mr cuntybollox

regards etc

6. Just mind out for those athiests in that fox hole eh. B*stards get everywhere.

7. That will be a "yes, I am going to jump into a 2 man slit trench in between the geraniums and the delphiniums" then?

Where did you dump the spoil for your trench? In your neighbours garden or did you pile it into a bergan, tab 4km away to a skip and dump it there? Obviously you are to professional to leave the evidence of a trench in your own garden where it can be spotted.

How did you get the lupins on your overhead cover? Did you keep them in small pots hidden under 1cm of soil, or did you de-pot them completely? If the latter how do you stop them from wilting? Any problem with moles in your area? Be careful if you get one in your trench: they can bite worse than a 7.62 in the arrse.

Are the police aware that you are doing an OP on your neighbours? If not, then well done on good skills. Can you see any fit birds showering? Or just fat munters?

I think I can speak for all people in this site when I say I am really impressed, and would really, really appreciate it should you be able to post a couple of photos of your "foxhole" in the gallery.

8. You're not suggesting....

9. I would never suggest anything... I might state some wild innacuracy, but I lack the wit to be subtle.

However it always gives me a wry smile if someone starts blubbing when Op Corporate (or any other operation) is mentioned, and yet when questioned they were never there (or aged about 10 when it happened). If a veteran was at a certain engagement or lost loved ones and a tear comes to his eye when it is mentioned then all respect and fair play. But how can you be reduced to a pile of blubbering jelly by a song about a campaign fought years before you joined? Is it possible to feel such camradery with people you never met/loved/drank with/fought with/trained with/etc?

Standing at the Menin Gate for the Last Post, a shiver runs down my spine and I pray for those that fell near there and during the Great War (including 2 of my great uncles (my father is 90 next July)).

I do not cry, for I have not earned the right to cry.

10. stop being a bunch of cnuts, No I didn't serve in the Falklands..but was in the Army at that time

In my initial post I was simply stating that I LIKED THE MUSIC, it has no meaning to me at all other than all the tracks are easy listening

Biccies...I've called you a twat before and I'll no doubt call you a twat again...As the film line says...get in my crosshairs and you're going down.

11. Yeah, but how many nights have you spent dug at the side of your shed?

12. what a shoite come back...you've been on arrse for 4 years and have 11.000 posts plus...you think I need a life FFS look inwards you sad bloke.
    I get my fun by getting chav locked away, not flying a computer as you seem to do all day...is your own sad perpetual life so bad that all you have to do is rant about other humans....you my pal, are nothing but a seeping bag of bollocksnot.

13. Actually Old Bean, I've been on ARRSE for well over 4 years. ARRSE had a previous life, but that was before you worked out how to switch a computer on.

As for your fun 'work day', you're a custody officer in West Yorks, mate. You don't get the chav locked away. You've not got the intelligence for that nor are you in the right job...clue for you here...those who are, carry warrant cards. You merely make sure that he's booked in and get's fed. Hardly challenging now is it? Bit like being an RP Cpl.

Seeping bag of what? :lol:

Anyway, let's get back to your back garden exploits....do you stand to? Have you had any complaints from the neighbours? What about your employer...haven't they had a word yet?

14. You're a sniper now then are you......turnkey?

15. keep up old timer..no longer turning keys...out in the big world again......don't respond, you're boring me now..I can only bait for short spells

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.