Storing bulk diesel?

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
With prices so low, I'm thinking of storing diesel to save £'s when it inevitably goes back up. A bit like playing the stock market but a lot more likely to go wrong in some way or another.

I was just thinking a few drums in the shed and be damned any regulations.

Anyone else doing likewise or have any tips on it?

So low? Where do you live?? Or are you on about red diesel?

With prices so low, I'm thinking of storing diesel to save £'s when it inevitably goes back up. A bit like playing the stock market but a lot more likely to go wrong in some way or another.

I was just thinking a few drums in the shed and be damned any regulations.

Anyone else doing likewise or have any tips on it?
You can store it for 6 to 12 months in a 'dry' container in a cool environment. By dry it is meant that no moisture gets into it. Cool means cool and some sheds can get quite warm over the summer - it is a bio thingy so it can start to go off if it gets warm and the shelf life will be reduced to nearer the 6 month mark.

Depends how much you have in mind to store and the economics of it. It may be worth your while buying a plastic fuel storage tank if you can find one cheap enough - like the one's they use for oil fired heating systems.

You could have 'stored' here but my last killer pollution car when December 24th, wife's Xmas present, my mate has a diesel, should I ask him to store it?

You can store it for 6 to 12 months in a 'dry' container in a cool environment. By dry it is meant that no moisture gets into it. Cool means cool and some sheds can get quite warm over the summer - it is a bio thingy so it can start to go off if it gets warm and the shelf life will be reduced to nearer the 6 month mark.

Depends how much you have in mind to store and the economics of it. It may be worth your while buying a plastic fuel storage tank if you can find one cheap enough - like the one's they use for oil fired heating systems.
An old oil drum is better/cheaper than a plastic tank. <£30 for a clean 205l drum. A £5 hand pump, and a couple of 20l plastic fuel cans and job's a fish.

I have up to 2400 litres of heating oil - diesel more-or-less - at home. It's in two purpose made plastic tanks installed I.A.W the appropriate building regs, etc.
Diesel isn't 'petroleum spirit', so not subject to the strict regs that apply to petrol.
I have seen companies offering diesel in 1000ltr plastic IBCs for home use.

As far as I can see it's OK, but there's probably an upper limit published somewhere.

Seems pretty pointless unless your on about buying a few hundred gallons at least . A rough calculation that if diesel went down by 10p per litre you would save about £20 per 45 gallon barrel of fuel .

And as said a barrel would cost you £30 .

And i am guessing you would have the ball ache of buying it in bulk in the first place and transporting it home .

Its not cheap now anyway !!

There are no limits to storage quantity, however, be aware that the environment agency take a very dim view of diesel leaks into groundwater and land. Flashpoint of diesel is >56°C and hence is not flammable at UK ambient temperatures. Store it in the shade to minimise risk of deterioration.

Storage in drums and the stuff will easily last 2 years without any significant deterioration. Note that there is a difference between winter and summer diesel. Winter diesel is "spiked" with a small amount butane to start better in cold weather. Also has an anti-waxing additive. Thus if possible store winter diesel.

I have seen MOD steel fuel tanks that have had red diesel stored for 5+ years with no noticeable deterioration. If left too long and in poor conditions (heat / cool / contamination with mouse droppings, bird sh!t etc green sludge algae can form in extended storage.

Store in good quality steel or plastic drums with sealed caps. IBCs are also ok. Possibly a S/H plastic central heating tank?

Also bare in mind any insurance etc will be void incase of the worse as i take it it will not be stored in the correct way in a tank with a bund underneath .

You`ll pick a 1000 ltr plastic central heating tank up off gumtree for around £100.00

There are no limits to storage quantity, however, be aware that the environment agency take a very dim view of diesel leaks into groundwater and land. Flashpoint of diesel is >56°C and hence is not flammable at UK ambient temperatures. Store it in the shade to minimise risk of deterioration.

Storage in drums and the stuff will easily last 2 years without any significant deterioration. Note that there is a difference between winter and summer diesel. Winter diesel is "spiked" with a small amount butane to start better in cold weather. Also has an anti-waxing additive. Thus if possible store winter diesel.

I have seen MOD steel fuel tanks that have had red diesel stored for 5+ years with no noticeable deterioration. If left too long and in poor conditions (heat / cool / contamination with mouse droppings, bird sh!t etc green sludge algae can form in extended storage.

Store in good quality steel or plastic drums with sealed caps. IBCs are also ok. Possibly a S/H plastic central heating tank?
A lot over 56C

Beware the diesel bug... it is generally considered a boaters thing but affects heating oil etc... large volumes of diesel stored for quite a while and subjected to water contamination by way of condensation.

The condensation is largely unavoidable and it creates ideal conditions for the organic diesel bug to live long and prosper.

Google Diesel Bug but in the meantime...

IMG_0712.JPG

Troy

LE
I store a bit of diesel sometimes and it's barely worth the trouble. When the price is down and/or I have a money saving coupon to use up. My car fuel tank is about 65 litres except I won't go completely low so, say, 55 litres is the most I get to put in it at a fill. However, the coupon is generally for up to 100 litres at Tesco and I don't like to waste the opportunity to save a few pence. So I fill up a 25 litre drum and a couple of Adblue drums as well to get the max saving. The full tank lasts quite a while but eventually I add the smaller drums as they come with the handy hose which make filling easy. Now comes the nuisance bit. Pouring from the 25 litre drum causes some spillage so it would be too clumsy to pour it straight into the car. Instead I use a large funnel and decant some diesel into the small drums and use the blue hose to put it into the tank. I now have the knack of it but it's still a clumsy exercise. Expect to spill some till you get the hang of it.

If I bought fancy equipment like pumps, or even jerrycans and decent clip on spouts. Then there would be no saving.
Like I said it's barely worth the trouble, but if there was a fuel shortage threatened then I would store at least one drum.

Google Diesel Bug
The first one I looked at was from the AA (NZ version). It is horribly incorrect :- "After a day out on the road, the remaining diesel is warm from the heat of the engine and as the temperature cools, cold air is drawn into the fuel tank. The cold air causes condensation on the inside of the tank,"
Cold air condenses on the warm walls of the tank!? WTAF?
"In that water are the microbes as they live off the oxygen in the water and then eat the diesel.".
The ones I am more familiar with are anaerobic, such as Pseudomonas Aeruginosa, so therefore don't live of the oxygen in the water.

The first one I looked at was from the AA (NZ version). It is horribly incorrect :- "After a day out on the road, the remaining diesel is warm from the heat of the engine and as the temperature cools, cold air is drawn into the fuel tank. The cold air causes condensation on the inside of the tank,"
Cold air condenses on the warm walls of the tank!? WTAF?
"In that water are the microbes as they live off the oxygen in the water and then eat the diesel.".
The ones I am more familiar with are anaerobic, such as Pseudomonas Aeruginosa, so therefore don't live of the oxygen in the water.
I didn't write it, honest. Can't say I have ever troubled myself with the scientific detail either... life is too short for all that so knowing of its existence is quite enough for me

Try this: Diesel Bug not written by the AA of NZ

I use 205L drums that are kept in a cement floored unseated storage shed and never had a single problem with fuel going bad. There is generally 8 drums of petrol, diesel, AV gas, or jet fuel in various stages of fullness all year round. Diesel and jet fuel I treat with diesel conditioner/anti-gel, and for petrol and AV gas I use marine grade fuel stabilizer. For transferring fuel all I have is an old hand pump I picked up at auction for a few quid, so not an expensive set up at all. Mind you, that’s my informal storage method and I have no worries about safety inspections and such by the man.....

Latest Threads