• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Stores are for storing...& ebay

Quick rant....

Does anyone else find it annoying when there is a particular piece of equipment which can be issued and would be very handy for course/exercises but the QM says 'your not entitled to it?'

I totally support all kit going to those on ops and training for ops first, but there must be a surplus of kit from certain non frontline/in of the wire guys cause of the amount appearing on ebay!

main 3 things i'm after are:
1 MTP daysack
2 MTP grab bag
3 Hippo pad

And no i dont want them just because they are mtp (all though will help with new kit coming in) and dont want to fork out a fortune on ebay for issued kit!

Rant over

The man bag is no use to those not on the ground but we all got issued with it so for me I'll just put my butties and pop in it to torment "the man".

In all fairness mate i'm going very soon and were not getting all the kit because there isn't enough within the system, i gave my bag and day sack to one of my blokes becasue there wasn't one for him.

In all fairness mate i'm going very soon and were not getting all the kit because there isn't enough within the system, i gave my bag and day sack to one of my blokes becasue there wasn't one for him.
and i totally support kit going to those on ops or about to go on ops

it just annoys me that there are items through the system, and not just mtp for herrick but other general equipment, that makes life easier but you cant get it through the sytem, yet someone is selling it on ebay.
i mean i would happily pay for the cost of it through the qms as its cheaper then getting ripped off on ebay or buying sub standard kit

agree with what your saying in theory but there is enough in the system because people are selling it on ebay!
There is enough in the system to issue to those people who are deploying on ops. Somemof those may choose to sell it because they don't need/want it or they have finished their deployment. The MTP kit is getting rolled out across the forces so just wait like everyone else or get on a tour.

As for compasses, watches and the like then I agree with the ridiculous attitude of storing for the sake of it.

i'm not saying i need it, just that it would make my life easier on courses/ex's, and would like to do it with kit that is available thru the system.

And just cause i havent been to afghan in the last 2 years or will probably not go for the next 2 doesnt mean i'm not doing other, (and at time just as) important work within the army/ops world.
plus i still have career courses, as well as assisting with instructing, MATTS and exercises. and yes i know other people are in a similar postion as me too

In theory. It's very probably a production overrun. MOD won't buy more than it needs so supplier needs to flog on EBay. If you aren't on ops you don't need it. Emphasis on 'need'.
Lets be honest here, very little military kit that gets flogged on Ebay is a production overrun unless it a major seller.

Although you're right about needing it even if there was a ton of it in the QMs if you don't need it then why should the MOD give it out, its supposed to be saving money.

There is enough in the system to issue to those people who are deploying on ops. Somemof those may choose to sell it because they don't need/want it or they have finished their deployment. The MTP kit is getting rolled out across the forces so just wait like everyone else or get on a tour.

As for compasses, watches and the like then I agree with the ridiculous attitude of storing for the sake of it.
Have I understood you right there. People are selling issued kit because "they don't need/want it "?

Is this stuff a one time only/no need to give it back issue then?

For tour you get a full issue and at least in the RN/RM world it is one time issue. Next time you go you get another full issue. With a few exceptions helmet, body armour etc.

For tour you get a full issue and at least in the RN/RM world it is one time issue. Next time you go you get another full issue. With a few exceptions helmet, body armour etc.
With the exception of boots and socks/gloves we used to hand everything back that was issued for tours. Oh and those stupid deputy dawg hats of course.

Wonder why is this stuff a consumable? Does it get worn out over one tour or something?

With the exception of boots and socks/gloves we used to hand everything back that was issued for tours. Oh and those stupid deputy dawg hats of course.

Wonder why is this stuff a consumable? Does it get worn out over one tour or something?
The only thing I can think off that you should be handing back is body armour and pouches (even helmets should be kept), everything else you should be keeping unless its kit that is property of your CQMS that you have signed out on loan. What have you been handing back?

i mean i would happily pay for the cost of it through the qms as its cheaper then getting ripped off on ebay or buying sub standard kit
I think the ebay prices for the MTP daysack are cheaper than the identical dessie or green DPM versions civvies can buy online or in shops and the same price or cheaper than many of the offerings by Camelbak etc.

If you need it THAT badly, man up and pay the money. We used to buy most of our kit in the late 70's / early 80's because almost all of the issue kit was pants in the field. You young 'uns of today don't know you're born ;-)

D_B

The only thing I can think off that you should be handing back is body armour and pouches (even helmets should be kept), everything else you should be keeping unless its kit that is property of your CQMS that you have signed out on loan. What have you been handing back?
This was a looooong time ago. Last century in fact. :) But yes webbing and such like stuff.

I thought that was what the poster said was being sold on Ebay?

Ditto when I got back from my last trip, didn't even have to hand the pouches in as they came with that stupid vest thing (the only person I saw wear one was the OC).
Everything else I got with the black bag they weren't bothered about when I de-kitted, shame I handed my daysack back really. Clothing blokes eyes lit up when he saw that, so I think that's where most of this stuff on fleabay comes from.

Latest Threads