Storage of bow weapons within a barracks?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by vampireuk, Apr 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm sure one of you chaps may have come across a similar situation, I'm looking to take my compound crossbow back to the barracks so I can load up my truck with a target and go out somewhere quiet and do some shooting in my downtime. Of course I'll have to run this by the adjutant, but in the meantime would anyone be aware of it if will be required to be held in the company armouries or within my armourers workshop, with me being the only key holder anyway.

2. You'll be fine with it in the Armrs wksp.

3. Good, next question. When the QM wanders in with yet another Sam Brown belt.... :)

4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Maybe I'm being thick - but you don't need a licence for a crossbow or bow, so, unless there are barracks-specific regs, you don't have to put it in the armoury. I'm assuming you're in the UK of course.

5. While this is true I'd think the smart option would be to store the thing securely in my workshop, I could imagine someone throwing a fit if I were to store the thing in my room. :D

6. I used to store my crossbow in my locker.

7. I used to keep my compound hunting bow in my locker. Same with the arrows. As I used to bowhunt (remember, it used to be legal here too) I kept the broadheads locked up. Made a very good Tgt out of several sweatered mattresses cut, compressed and held together with hessian.

Only problem I ever had was from an ignorant RMP who did not know the law and was convinced you needed a licence for 'such a dangerous weapon'. When asked to draw it he couldnt ( I was drawing 80 Lbs at the time) Funnily enough he nearly filled his trousers when he what was on my FAC. Problem with storing it in the Armoury is the chance that some tw@t will play with it, draw it and fire it without and arrow.....one broken or damaged bow. You can unstring a recurve but if the compound is balanced you want it left well alone.

8. Well in that case it's getting stored in my accomodation, whilst we touched on the subject of hunting, why on earth was it made illegal to hunt with bow weapons.

9. Where you store it is down the the CO I suspect. Whatever you do don't just stick it under your bunk and not tell anyone. If there is an incident and some drunk twaat gets hold of it there could be hell to pay..

As for the logic of banning bow hunting - you are havin' a giraffe?

... since when did logic get in the way of UK weapons laws :roll:

10. A good point indeed.

And having just rescued my long prized bow from the attic it is in a sorry state, the strings appear OK. However, the rest needs a rather big clean up, mainly removing every nut and screw and removing the damn rust, a new quiver after the rubber holding the bolts in place has cracked. Welcome to the armourers shop/bowyer :lol:

11. Mad Jack Churchill... proper Nails.

12. why did they ban bow hunting?? hmmm in my opnion its pretty barbaric dont you think. I have no problem hunting deer and such like, but why revert back to the time when we didnt have wepons that were far more efficient at killing prey. whats wrong with a rifle? my two cents

13. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

You may not be up to speed with the selection of heads available for hunting, these, coupled with arrow type and the power of a decent bow make for very efficient killing devices.

African dangerous game is hunted with various types of bow and there you definitely need the target to fall asap, so our game and vermin could be culled as effectively.
    Some thirteen countries in europe permit bowhunting, in most the criteria for a licence and taking an animal is pretty strict although bows sometimes have a longer season than guns and rifles.

14. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

15. There's an old story that I read, that I'm trying to accurately re-write from memory.

A Danish Count went out to Kenya, shortly before WWII, with the intention of hunting by bow. On arrival, he was told he'd to see the relevant bureaucrat who would weigh his case and judge whether a licence for hunting by bow would be granted.
    The office was staffed by a younger, fresh faced man, straight out from passing his Colonial Service exam in London. His assistant was a colonist with several decades experience of tromping about in the bush.

After hearing the Dane's request, the younger man paled, said something about bow-hunting being "awfully inhuman, don'cher know" and was reachind for his pen to write "DENIED" across the license request form, when the experienced hand cleared his throat and spoke up. The older man related that owing to WW1 and various tribal problems he'd been shot with both bow and gun and lived to tell the tale. He then described that after being hit by an arrow, he'd had to look down to see the shaft and fletches protruding to be sure that it'd hit, but when struck by a bullet, he'd been in no doubt, "Because it Bl**dy well hurt!"

The count was granted his license and had a successful trip. I believe his bag included several carnivores and possibly a hippo as well as numerous antelope & gazelles.