Discussion in 'Economics' started by Chef, Oct 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The latest government health wheeze is to get smokers to give up smoking for the month of October, a month without smoking puts most people on the path of abstinence.

I'm not interested in the rights and wrongs of smoking itself, that has been done lots elsewhere, my questions are these;

If nobody buys tobacco or related goods for the month, how would the government deal with the loss of several millions £££ of duty, how many small traders would go to the wall?

If it worked, and say two thirds of smokers packed up, what would the long term loss of revenue do to government finances? Would the health benefits offset the loss of those revenues?

Bearing in mind that the sudden mass buying of petrol late last year, or earlier this one pushed up revenue significantly. Also that the cash from fuel has dropped, as cars become more efficient, and people do make less journeys for the planet's sake; causing the government to look at new ways of getting money from motorists. Pay per mile etc.

Has this idea been thought through?
  2. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

You're forgetting that the biggest "socio-economic group" that smokes couldn't give a **** what the government says and are, generally, in receipt of welfare payments.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. That pontificating(pompous) scrote HB will be along shortly to add his six pennarth.
  4. ..... and they are most likely smoking fags upon which no tax or duty has been paid anyway....
  5. I appreciate that, what I wondered, in purely economic terms, is what would the effect be if the PM's secretary rattles in tomorrow screaming,

'Nobody's buying fags, lighters, or matches! BAT are on the blower, their factories are on slow time, less fuel is being bought as there is no stock to be moved, corner shops are feeling the pinch already.'

That's why I put it here rather than chuck it into the smoking good or bad pot. I guess this is more could the government survive the drop in income if their 'dream' came true?
  6. £11.1bn last financial year

But that's alright. All the non-smokers are more than happy to make that up through tax increases on their earnings, pensions and whatever else the government has to hit to keep up its revenues.

Just as long as their do-gooding interfering nonsensical arrogance has been pandered too and noone smokes anymore.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. If they really wanted people to stop smoking, then they'd just ban it. However, since that's political suicide and the only reason for wanting people to give up is because it's a stupid habit doesn't really pass the financial test, which is why they go about smoking in such a half arsed way.

The revenue it brings in is very important to the treasury, so they want to be seen to be trying to get people to stop, whilst hoping that people don't.
  8. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Zat a fact? My 40 a day go on my company Amex, I stick them on the card when I buy fuel. That goes down as 'travel' and is paid monthly by me firm. Which pays taxes. Which in turn, allows deadbeats like you to pontificate on smokers.

That said, you are right. I couldn't give a **** what the Government says. I pay accountants to do that.
    • Like Like x 4
  9. TheIronDuke

10. That is bloody libellous. My occasional smoking is a great pleasure, I don't give a **** what the government says and I get raped by the taxman to pay for the underclass.
  11. I see what you did there.
  12. I have been considering investing in a pipe for sometime. I think it would please me greatly but I have been put off my the idea I might feel faintly ridiculous. But Stoptober! Stoptober! That has sealed the deal. Next time I am in London I am piping up.
  13. Stoptober. I don't remember this episode of The Thick Of It.
  14. TheIronDuke

Stop poncing about and go for a half billiard.

View attachment 92481

One gently cradles it in ones fist whilst looking educated and interesting. If any **** hints that you may look faintly ridiculous you can go "Hmm. Good point" whilst quietly reversing the pipe and taking their ****ing eye out with the stem.

Also keeps ones hands warm.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Couldn't care, weed's not taxed.

Perhaps if the government, (whatever flavour), stopped trying to fiddle with everything in our lives and concentrated on what they were voted in for. Like emptying bins, building roads, sticking plasters on wounded knees, and properly educating the kids.
    The extra money can be easily found by scrapping all these initiatives, and let people make their own choice.
    • Like Like x 1