stopping windows from auto updating

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Grumblegrunt, Jun 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

everytime I tell it to stop it turns back on, any tips I might have missed?
  2. Did you stop it in the control panel?
  3. msr

msr LE

Leave it on. Windows updates are an essential part of the security process.

4. HHH

HHH LE

What msr says.

I don't see any reason to switch it off.
  5. Every time I have had auto updates on my laptop or PC has managed to crash and take an age to sort out. (I am a techno mong by the way.) Decent Anti-Virus and updates off and I haven't had any problems since. I will probably now have an attack on my laptop and lose everything :)
  6. My recommendation has always been to switch Auto Updates to Download and wait for you to install. Never switch them off completely.
  7. Grumblegrunt

I prefer to wait to see if the updates actually work as many cause problems needing patches on patches or the patches mess up other software. ie9 beta runs great for example but ie9 final trashes the sidebar. plus some of the updates appear quite sinister in a microsoft kind of way.

every time I turn off auto update and stop it from auto rebooting it seems to reset when I do install the updates a week or so later.
  8. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

The only time it should be off is when you have a pirate copy of the OS, and they are next to useless anyway. Otherwise, let it do what it has to do. I had a nasty set of viruses on me lappy and it prevented Vista from updating for 8 months, and all that does is leave the thing vulnerable to attack or cause no end of problems.
  9. That's usually the best as random reboots are updates can mess things up for you, but always apply the updates as soon as you can. I've been breaking into IT systems on a professional basis for over a decade now, I can assure you that unpatched systems are still, without doubt, the fastest way in. Second only to shit passwords.;-)
  10. msr

msr LE

I have never had a problem with autoupdate. You need to update both the operating system and your applications - especially java and flash. This will tell you what needs updating Secunia - The Leading Provider of Vulnerability Management and Vulnerability Intelligence Solutions then download PSI and scan your pc.

11. Grumblegrunt

secunia gives a lot of false positives I find and also makes you download software which might not work on some setups. if I spend time ring fencing version 4 to block features I dont want then I dont want to download version 5. just run it now and secunia says I have chrome 9 when I actually have chrome 12! same for safari which auto updates so I have no need to re download and fresh install it which is the suggestion.

ie.. I have realplayer because its handy for downloading embedded files but the only part I let run is the downloader so have no need to update it. java and flash havent shown themselves to be very reliable in the quality of their updates lately going by the permanent patching
  12. msr

msr LE

This is not a reflection on the quality of their updates, more that being installed on almost every PC in the entire world they are under constant attack and hence under constant update.

You must be running a very strange setup if you do not want all your applications to be updated by secunia. As with Windows Update, I have no problems with secunia.

13. On my own machine, I update straight away, When running work machines & servers, I never do. First thing I always do is clone the standard desktop machine and run the patch there first for a while to make sure it doesn't screw up the build.

As for security, I find a good hardware firewall, combined with a good update strategy and well definied desktop security program does the trick. Doesn't have to cost the earth as long as you set it up right
  14. The only people who who would be worried about certain windows updates are those who use pirated versions of Windows and in some cases Office as well as everything else :)
  15. Or those on Herrick with just 20mb wifi a week where it's recommended you turn off your auto updates to avoid eating up all your bandwidth.