Stopping The Aches

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Drivers_lag, Feb 23, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've started Body Pump recently as a way to combat missing bits in the gym.. being a bloke and just ending up with massive biceps, lats and chest basically.

It's ace for two reasons, one - it's chocka with fanny... which is nice and spares me the humiliation of having to go to aerobics as well.

And two, it gets pretty much EVERYTHING in one sitting with no room for slacking so I'm a happy bunny.

Thing is, if you get the weight right, it's ******* nails and I'm left crippled the next day. Worse than stiff, I feel like I've got ******* flu.

Stretching helps a bit, as does a good kip or a mild gym sesh the following day.. or both, but one of the staff mentioned that he found hammering protein helpful. This may or may not be a figment of his imagination and it's a bit of a moot point anyway as I pretty much live on chicken, eggs and fish.. I also have whey protein for when I can't be arrsed cooking..

But it did get me thinking if there was anything that might help, diet wise.

Anyone got any ideas or tips?

I'm ******* threaders!

D_L

2. Chips & Guinness.........

3. Salt.

Not good for slugs though.

4. I think you may have answered your own question. Are you beasting yourself too hard as well?

5. You are Andy McNab and I claim my £5... now back to crayoning the naafi walls for you my lad.

6. Of course I'm beasting myself too hard ... no pain no gain :)

I'm not new to iron or fitness, but no-one that I've seen works that hard in the gym - on weights, anyway.... it's a proper 1 hr beast with almost no rest. I'm not much inclined to go lighter if it's possible not to, so it's just a question of getting used to training like that.

7. You've found out the hard way what a lot of gym bunnies find out in equally hard ways:

1) Big chest, arms and neck does not = super fit bloke.

2) You're working muscles you haven't worked hard before. I think I'll be safe in saying that because you forgot point 1 you went at it hammer and tong and have possibly suffered a small injury.

My advice for what it's worth is to gradually build up this body pump thing. Exercise should be challenging but not ******* insane. DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Sorness) is common after an intense session but physical pain near the top of the scale isn't (or at least shouldn't be.) Fluid intake and like Sluggy says salt can help but I can't say banging loads of protein into your system will make a huge difference.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

8. Kinda.. the excercise routing is choreographed into supersets, so the idea is to pick a weight that you can survive with for each muscle group without losing form. It packs into one hour an amount of reps that most lifters would do in two... so it's intense to say the least and there's no temptation to be blokey about it.

It's not about a ton of weight, mostly the bar's got between 10-25 kg on it, it's the intensity of the workout that's caused a bit of a jolt to the system.

9. Try old fashioned epsom salt ( magnesium sulphate crystrals) in a hot bath and soak for twenty minutes or so .These can be bought from Boots or more cheaply garden centers a couple of cups in the bath before bed and/or the day after should help.

10. Get some bananas down you as they contain potassium, and you could try mixing a spoonful of sodium bicarbonate with 500ml of water before exercising.

I find a few laps of the pool (if available) after a hard workout helps, and ensure your water intake is sufficient.

11. A pint (or half a litre) of milk,after the session.

Not my idea,scientifically proven using Rugby League training sessions,it rehydrates you quicker,helps repair muscle damage quicker,and a few other bits and pieces too! ;-)

12. icecube bath....

having said that once you've frozen the **** out of yourself epsom salts do seem to do the job.

best bet more warm up and don't dodge the warm down

As someone said, you've just started so its gonna hurt a bit, it'll get better with time

not ideal but scoffing a bit of brufen always helps

13. Welcome to old age. I find a mixture of ibuprofen, 50mg indomethacin, wild krill oil and compression bandages allow me to walk to the train station.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Yeah... I was thinking about milk the other day. It went went pretty much along the lines ' baby cows sup that, and look at the ******* size of them when they're finished!' So I googled and the answer was -

'Of course milk is good for you, baby cows sup it and look at the size of them when they're finished'

Bodybuilding.com - Milk And Bodybuilding - Do They Mix?

Snag is, you have to hoover two gallons of it a day, same as they do!