Stopping in Singapore en route to Aus - Recommendations?

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Last year's NYE was London (just outside the pay zone though cos I'm too tight)
This year is Edinburgh

Next year we're heading to Oz to stay with the Good Lady's mate in Perth for a couple of weeks. We initially decided to stop off in Sydney Harbour to see the NY out ahead of the rest of the world, but I've since found out it's a bit like Times Square when they pen you into zones, bend you over and fleece your spending money ...just so you can get your view of the Opera House and fireworks blocked by loads of Aussies holding up their smartphones to show their mates footage of the stuff they'd already watched at home on the HD TVs...

Popping a few randoms into Skyscanner, it seems like a good 3 leg would be to throw Singapore in there - that three pronged hotel (Marina Sands) with the massive platform, infinity pool etc is coming up at around £250 a night for this year, so I'm thinking book early enough get it a bit cheaper.

top-view-famous-hotel-singapore-shot-marina-bay-sands-one-most-luxury-breatht-breathtaking-cit...jpg

Dubai / Qatar etc is out, purely on the basis you can only drink in hotels there, and last time I went to Dubai it cost me 35 flip-flops for a 500ml glass of Stella and that was back in 2010. It's probably over a tenner a beer now.

@Ravers has probably been to Singapore already and knows where all the best whore joints are - not sure that'd be a huge help with the lady in tow, but any advice on Singapore one way or t'other? We also looked at Kuala Lumpur too, but it's inland and looks manic as f**k - not sure it would be the best place to celebrate NY...

This year is Edinburgh

Next year we're heading to Oz to stay with the Good Lady's mate in Perth for a couple of weeks. We initially decided to stop off in Sydney Harbour to see the NY out ahead of the rest of the world, but I've since found out it's a bit like Times Square when they pen you into zones, bend you over and fleece your spending money ...just so you can get your view of the Opera House and fireworks blocked by loads of Aussies holding up their smartphones to show their mates footage of the stuff they'd already watched at home on the HD TVs...

Popping a few randoms into Skyscanner, it seems like a good 3 leg would be to throw Singapore in there - that three pronged hotel with the massive platform, infinity pool etc is coming up at around £250 a night for this year, so I'm thinking book early enough get it a bit cheaper.

Dubai / Qatar etc is out, purely on the basis you can only drink in hotels there, and last time I went to Dubai it cost me 35 flip-flops for a 500ml glass of Stella and that was back in 2010. It's probably over a tenner a beer now.

@Ravers has probably been to Singapore already and knows where all the best whore joints are - not sure that'd be a huge help with the lady in tow, but any advice on Singapore one way or t'other? We also looked at Kuala Lumpur too, but it's inland and looks manic as f**k - not sure it would be the best place to celebrate NY...
Paging @redshift

I’m sure he’d be pleased to see you :)

Rab_C

War Hero
This year is Edinburgh

Popping a few randoms into Skyscanner, it seems like a good 3 leg would be to throw Singapore in there - that three pronged hotel with the massive platform, infinity pool etc is coming up at around £250 a night for this year, so I'm thinking book early enough get it a bit cheaper.

Check out Pan Pacific hotel on Marina Bay, same area as The Sands but cheaper, and smaller, the service is impeccable. Singapore however isn’t too cheap if you’re not eating at hawker centres.
Edited to add, you know you can now fly non stop to Perth from LHR?

I'd definitely recommend Singapore; clean, safe and some interesting things to see (there's another thread on it somewhere). Mrs S.O. enjoys it so much, she said she'd happily spend time there on her own if necessary (is that a hint for me?). Last time, we stayed at a hotel on Robertson Quay, nice and central to restaurant district and just across the road from Fort Canning.

E2A: https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/singapore-and-hong-kong-what-to-see-do.286885/

Last edited:

endure

GCM
Singapore was ruined when Lee Kwan Yew shut Bugis Street down.

The look on the face of the Dutch couple sitting next to us who'd been told it was a tourist attraction when all the trannies pitched up looking for punters was priceless...

A suite at Raffles is the answer. A couple of warmers in the Long Bar and then walking distance to excellent eateries.
You can visit the top deck of Marina Sands, take in the view, have a drink and a meal if you feel like it.

TamtamPWRR

War Hero
Sydney isn't so good as a party town these days, the wowsers are in firm control over such horrors as people enjoying themselves late into the night. Singapore, as others have said, is a good town, that's be my choice of stopover for NYE.

Fake Sheikh

War Hero
Defiantly Raffles, like going back in time when we had an Empire.

The Landmark Mandarin Oriental is shag expensive but worth it, but book early.
Eating in is costly but one night only, rest of time ask hotel to recommend something locally.
However, hotel sometimes does an offer or might give you an upgrade if quiet or you spending loads!

endure

GCM
Tokyo? One place I've been to and have always wanted to visit again.

Donny

ADC
The obvious choices are Singapore, HK or Bangkok. I’ve always found Singapore rather insipid and I’ve never been much attracted to the place. For me, HK wins by a narrow head over BKK on the basis that’s it’s always exciting (even if it might be a little more exciting than you want at the moment, if you choose the wrong place to stay). BKK would also be great but I can’t say I’d stay there if I had the time to head somewhere away from the capital.

ETA if you go the other way round you could always make a big trip of it, taking in East and West Coasts of the USA followed by NYE in Hawaii.

endure

GCM
The obvious choices are Singapore, HK or Bangkok. I’ve always found Singapore rather insipid and I’ve never been much attracted to the place. For me, HK wins by a narrow head over BKK on the basis that’s it’s always exciting (even if it might be a little more exciting than you want at the moment, if you choose the wrong place to stay). BKK would also be great but I can’t say I’d stay there if I had the time to head somewhere away from the capital.

If he goes to Bangkok he can send the wife off to Siam Paragon to do a bit of shopping while he pops down to Soi Cowboy...

Just do Perth mate.
Really chilled out relaxed vibe there, everyone's really polite and there's very little aggro.
I was there a few years ago and it was one of the best NYE I've ever had.

Perth City centre. There's a bar called La Boheme. The BEST full English I have had ANYWHERE in the world.

Dubai is not expensive for alcohol unless you drink in the very high end hotels/clubs. There are a few places which do full or half board deals, including alcohol. If you plan to be there over a Friday or Saturday almost every hotel has a 'Brunch' deal, either lunchtime or evening. All you can eat and drink for not a massive amount. Champers deals as well if that's your thing, free flowing shampoo all afternoon, with very nice food for circa £80 each.
Singapore is really nice, very easy to get around and tons to see and do but it's not cheap. If you went with Emirates you could fly to Dubai (6.5 hours), Singapore (7.5 hours), Perth. Economy return for 2 people with daytime flights from LHR or LGW is £3.75k. I worked in Dubai and wife and I flew to Singers a few times from there.
How about going via Bali? Garuda Air (Indonesian National Airline) do direct flights from London to Bali (15 hours), they don't attract much attention but are an excellent airline. Near the airport Bali is almost 2 completely different experiences. On the West is where all the tourists stay, mainly Ozzies & Kiwis, its where the sun goes down. On the East its much more for locals and its where you see the sunrise. Way up North its much more remote and not hugely touristy. Very cheap to eat, drink, taxi and hotel. Only 4 hour flight to Perth and there are loads of carriers and about 8 flights a day. One of the more prolific carriers is Lion Air but the local name is Lying Air.

Edited to add: Earlier this year I was working in Indonesia, mainly Jakarta. Flights with Qatar airways (very nice) via Doha were a ridiculous price around £750 return. Left from LHR with only a short transit wait in Doha (6 hour flight) then onto Jakarta (8 hours). Traffic can be bad but the new Metro is starting to have an impact. Hotels range in price but you can get some very nice ones for not a lot of money with breakfast included (If you like chicken and rice, some Western food). Plenty of cheap flights to some of the more interesting islands further South Like Flores (Komodo dragon near to there). Labuan Bajo airport on Flores has a lot of flights, the town is uuuummmmm pretty rough and ready with about 1000 companies offering boat trips to see the dragons. Hotels can be extremely nice and very cheap, food and tourist souvenirs are extremely cheap. One of the nicest Italian restaurants in the far East is in the village, go figure!

Last edited:

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Do it properly. Cruise there over 3 months drinking mucho cocktails and seeing many, many Johnny foreigners.

How about going via Bali? Garuda Air (Indonesian National Airline) do direct flights from London to Bali (15 hours), they don't attract much attention but are an excellent airline. Near the airport Bali is almost 2 completely different experiences. On the West is where all the tourists stay, mainly Ozzies & Kiwis, its where the sun goes down. On the East its much more for locals and its where you see the sunrise. Way up North its much more remote and not hugely touristy. Very cheap to eat, drink, taxi and hotel. Only 4 hour flight to Perth and there are loads of carriers and about 8 flights a day. One of the more prolific carriers is Lion Air but the local name is Lying Air.
Bali, SE Asia's version of Magaluf!

philc

LE
Scrub round Singgers, Bugis St is closed but a few Indian knocking shops are in the area, get yourself to Manila, thats where it was and still is at, Red Triangle still rocks. Failing that Honky Fibbers, down the Wanci, cheapest beers are in the Tat bars and you can get yourself inked.

Of course seeing as the other half is with you Singgers it is, watches, and some thing nice in silk like all the other dullards.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
Singapore is fine and not quite as crazy as Bangkok or as polluted and traffic-choked as Jakarta. The flight from London to Perth is about 17 hours and, although I haven't done it I don't really fancy that length of time in the air. Agree with others in that you'll love Perth!

Latest Threads