Stop systematic humiliation of MPs, warns Archbishop

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by strewth, May 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Archbishop of Canterbury has warned that the ‘systematic humiliation’ of MPs is threatening democracy.
    Dr Rowan Williams has voiced concern over the issues raised in the expenses scandal.
    Writing in The Times tomorrow, Dr Williams said: ‘Many will now be wondering whether the point has not been adequately made: the continuing systematic humiliation of politicians itself threatens to carry a heavy price in terms of our ability to salvage some confidence in our democracy.’
    He also expressed fear that the scandal could damage confidence in politics and public service overall.
    His comments come after Tory backbencher Nadine Dorries warned that MPs were becoming victims of a ‘McCarthy-style witch-hunt’ over their expenses claims.
    She said she was also concerned that an MP could commit suicide because the situation at Westminster had become ‘completely unbearable.’

Date 22nd May 2009 (edited for brevity)
    My Reply

It must be wonderful to view life through a narrow ecclesiastic prism. I suspect Dr. Rowan Williams is not likely to lose his house, his income, his life’s savings nor his pension, whichever way the pendulum swings.

It is not the systematic humiliation of M.P.’s that threatens democracy, but the MP’s feeding frenzy at the ‘expense trough’ that has threatened democracy. The issue of having confidence in democracy is not in question. I suspect democracy will survive long after these parasites have vanished into the fog of obscurity or some of Her Majesty’s less salubrious institutions.

The ‘question’ is the litany of excess which aside from beggaring belief, has made a mockery of the electorate, showing utter disdain and contempt for the people they claim to represent.
    To paraphrase, Dr. Rowan, ‘the point will be adequately made’, when these so called M.P.’s are swatted unceremoniously from power, in the same way as one would swat at an irritating insect.

It’s interesting to note that Dr. Rowan’s only supposed concern is the fate of democracy and yet he takes no issue with the rights or wrongs of this parasitic swarm, these laughable and lamentable servants of the people.

If, as reported he said “that the scandal could damage confidence in politics and public service overall”, then I fear Dr. Rowan is perhaps living in a parallel universe, quite unlike our own.

The further comments by Tory backbencher Nadine Dorries (mentioned in the same article) in which she appears to be concerned “that an M.P. could commit suicide, because the situation at Westminster had become completely unbearable”, presupposes that these M.P.’s have either a social conscience or are honourable people who live by some code of ethics. If that were the case, we would see them dropping on their swords by the score.

I suspect that we will have to wait some time before we could enjoy such a spectacle.
  2. I switched off as soon as I saw who it was. Williams/Canterbury is a twat and needs to confine himself to Church organisation; he has nothing to contribute to day to day life as experienced by those isolated from his life style.
  3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Already done on another thread.
  4. The only threat to democracy is the current crop of career politicos who show such blatant contempt to the people they are "really" supposed to represent.

CHuck them of the Tarpian Rock (or failing that Lands End).
  5. Fully agree - Williams is a prize eejit with an impressive track record of getting it wrong. Anyway, despite his seat in the Lords, why does he feel the need to sound off on politics? He should stick to his chosen vocation of preaching the word of Mohammed and leave the grubby pigswillers to shift for themselves.
  6. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

The Archbishop of Canterbury is a politcal appointment made by the Prime Minister and a member of the House of Lords to boot. Let's see your expenses My Lord.

Game over.

Another New Labour apologist trying to cover his and his friend's friends behaviour.
  7. Well, perhaps we should save them the trouble (could get expensive if they all start claiming for rope etc).

Just line the fckers up against a wall and put some lead in 'em. :evil:
  8. Should make MP's use JPA for all their claims, my average is three claims before an internal audit :x wonder what theirs would be :?
  9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Larf?!?! I norly shoit meself!

The article was from 1993, but hey ho. HM The Queen claims nothing on expenses, and the bit about her paying National Insurance contributions is hilarious! :D

These troughing scumbags made her accept a freeze of the Civil List for 10 years in 2000.

The entire Royal Household and all the estates and staff cost £5.7m per annum, and they bring in a much larger fortune in international deals, trade and tourism. Best value for money this country has ever had.

The cost of Parliament on the other hand . . . . let's see, an average of £100,000 per MP in Additional Costs Allowance alone x 650 . . . well well, that's £6.5 million pounds per annum in gnomes, duck-houses, trees, plugs, flashy hotels with bints and more for absolutely no appreciable benefit for the UK, its economy, its people or service provided by these scum, leaching liars.