Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stop saying sir on the phone- A request by an RN doctor

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Well, this post is about the tweet posted a few days ago by a Royal Navy officer, an anaesthetist who posts on twitter as @doctorwibble who asked the question of Twitter about why the Army trains people to answer phones with Sir, particularly when they don’t know who is calling?

The tweet is less than a week old so it’s current enough. Sir.

Aye, I get it. Its an an interesting thread and there's more on another one. That's all really. If it was going to be moved it would have been moved. All good.

I can remember every rifle company CSM still having a company runner sitting in his office as telephones were scarce in the battalion - and that was in the '80s!

Our RSM in Hemer decided to use a bugler to summon the COS, CSMs, RP staff etc. Unfortunately hardly anyone else knew what the various calls were so every time a bugle call went out every phone in the battalion started ringing as people tried to find out what he wanted.

In your current job, or a previous one?
When I was RN, at one point @Jimmy_Green having the privledge to be (mostly sleeping) on the same ship as I.
In current job - in a perfect world, I'd answer the phone "Police-emergency- who's hurt your feelings on Facebook this time?"

I think there's one roundabout question to be answered here...
Is the effort required to prevent/change how we answer the phone worth it...is the juice worth the squeeze?
The answer can only be no!!!

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
If the person is ringing you why do you need to tell them who you are????

Plus you can just look at the screen on the VOIP phone or it comes up on computer screen who's calling.

Plus you can just look at the screen on the VOIP phone or it comes up on computer screen who's calling.
Your job was easy...all you had to do was essentially answer the phone and say: "MCO - PWO.. (then very quietly say 'C') speaking". :)

Last edited:

You know Fixed Voice Official is miles behind don't you, also, S4B is brilliant in some situations, chocolate fireguard everywhere else!!! And I'm pretty sure you need to know who you're talking to before sending a message.

Last edited:
I never answered the phone with a sir, because even back in days of lore I never knew who was on the other end.

It was always - “Good Morning/evening, Cpl/Sgt/Staff dingerr speaking”, then once I’d found out who was on the line I’d chuck in a sir, ma’am or shit lips as appropriate.

Once I picked up my WO2 the phone was answered with a gruff “Q dingerr” as defined by convention.

"Days of yore" surely?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Queen's badge on the belt, collar dogs and cap badge aren't Queen's though...
Legal reasons I would guess. As I recall all uniforms have some dress errors to prevent falling foul of impersonating legislation. Not Dick Emry stylee impersonation of course.

"Stonehenge, Duty Druid" if you were in the SPTA axis...

I also remember being quite surprised by:

" CSM's Office, C Company, 3rd Battalion The Royal Anglian Regiment, 16th/44th Foot (The Beds, Herts & Essex), Pte XXXX speaking, can I help you Sir?"

As a Trog I was more used to answering the 'phone with a simple "No"...

Greenfly

On ROPS
On ROPs
The conversation shifted after Maj Gen sexton tagged in the AGC SPS Branch Sgt Maj. The Senior Soldier of the AGC (SPS) Branch tweeted that she is flabbergasted that many addresses and briefings commence with the adage “ Sirs, Ma’ams, ladies and gents”.

The discussion between the RN Doctor, the Maj Gen and the WO1 now seems to indicate the guidance for addressing a military audience should be “colleagues”

Latest Threads