Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stop saying sir on the phone- A request by an RN doctor

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Maybe we should answer "Scuze ranks. A Company office"

mad_collie

Old-Salt
I always thought the Army way of answering the phone was strange.

In this modern climate, it was only a matter of time before the outrage bus was revved up again.
did-you-just-47f248.png

I made an another characteristically terrible decision this evening and logged onto Twitter. My attention was drawn to a very opinionated Royal Navy officer, an anaesthetist who posts on twitter as @doctorwibble , who is knee deep in a sexism row. This debate kicked off when the RN doc asked a question of Twitter about why the Army trains people to answer phones with Sir, particularly when they don’t know who is calling?
For example- Good morning, 49 PARA, Private Bugsy speaking Sir”.
With her feed containing white knights, seething right wingers, overly offended lefties and even a serving pongo Maj Gen I thought I’d bring it to the attention of Arrse.

So far twitter as thrown up some crackers ranging from - PC nonsense gone mad. To this is a Russians troll attack to undermine the effectiveness of our troops. The main theme however is the suggestion that the RN quack wouldn’t cope in a real war if they couldn’t cope with being called sir on the phone.

In your own time, go on.

F@cking Matelots, they'll be asking the Army to start wearing the same uniform next....

Another gag was picking random extensions out of the GPTN directory and making chainsaw noises when answered. Totally surreal but hilarious. Something of a furore ensued when one hapless recipient also had his car zapped with a dayglo chainsaw sticker and reported it to RAFP as a death threat. They started appearing all over Suffolk and there's still one or two surviving in the Underground I'm told. Happy days.
Every time the GD muppets in the MGR started a tannoy message we would phone them, every time it worked and the sound of the phone ringing and joe SWO having a fit echoed across the camp, to this day i cannot fathom why after 6 months it was still working and no one had just printed off a sign to go by the mick.

mad_collie

Old-Salt
Every time the GD muppets in the MGR started a tannoy message we would phone them, every time it worked and the sound of the phone ringing and joe SWO having a fit echoed across the camp, to this day i cannot fathom why after 6 months it was still working and no one had just printed off a sign to go by the mick.
Did every MGR have an Irishman in it?

Having been ripped a new one for incorrectly answering the phone in 1990, I made it a point to do so religiously. Even as CSM.

That may speak more about me than the Army though.

Having been ripped a new one for incorrectly answering the phone in 1990, I made it a point to do so religiously. Even as CSM.

That may speak more about me than the Army though.
That’s probably more to the truth of it.

It’s about ‘you’ and every other ‘you’ in the army / 3 services.

The current situation has a senior response of ‘do people still actually do that?’, the same question in soldier magazine two years ago had a similar senior response ofdo people still actually do that?’, and the question probably pops up all over the place every now and then.

People are doing it because they experience people doing it, and if they don’t do it then one day someone expects it and complains - so they start to do it
There are changes afoot with Skype calling etc so you see who is calling, but the average soldier isn’t taking calls on MoDNet and isn’t going to be doing so for some time. There are phones out there with caller ID, but again the average soldier won’t have it

There is going to be the unknown caller pretty much forever.
If the MoD put a defence wide policy out on exactly how phones were to be answered then that would be slagged off for wasting time coming up with an official way to answer.....

Extn 2345 Guardroom Pte Bloggs, good morning, how may I be of service to you today sir, madam, my lord, lady or gentleman .....

or

Yo dude, wassup

tgo

War Hero
Heh I just looked at the twitter and post and all corresponding 1,00000000000000000000000000 replies and thought.

You know what, she's got too much time on her hands. Generals getting involved and everything.

Because she's irked... not offended. Oh no, just irked. Oh that's OK then, carry on.

I swear to god I've woken up on 'alternative Earth' where it's full of fuckwits.

Twitter - the place to be even more self important than you already are. It needs nuking from orbit.

I never answered the phone with a sir, because even back in days of lore I never knew who was on the other end.

It was always - “Good Morning/evening, Cpl/Sgt/Staff dingerr speaking”, then once I’d found out who was on the line I’d chuck in a sir, ma’am or shit lips as appropriate.

Once I picked up my WO2 the phone was answered with a gruff “Q dingerr” as defined by convention.

That’s probably more to the truth of it.

It’s about ‘you’ and every other ‘you’ in the army / 3 services.

The current situation has a senior response of ‘do people still actually do that?’, the same question in soldier magazine two years ago had a similar senior response ofdo people still actually do that?’, and the question probably pops up all over the place every now and then.

People are doing it because they experience people doing it, and if they don’t do it then one day someone expects it and complains - so they start to do it
There are changes afoot with Skype calling etc so you see who is calling, but the average soldier isn’t taking calls on MoDNet and isn’t going to be doing so for some time. There are phones out there with caller ID, but again the average soldier won’t have it

There is going to be the unknown caller pretty much forever.
If the MoD put a defence wide policy out on exactly how phones were to be answered then that would be slagged off for wasting time coming up with an official way to answer.....

Extn 2345 Guardroom Pte Bloggs, good morning, how may I be of service to you today sir, madam, my lord, lady or gentleman .....

or

Yo dude, wassup

"Extn 2345 Guardroom Pte Bloggs, good morning, please enunciate in a loud and clear manner, your chosen personal pronoun for today. I apologise in advance for my white privilege, disgusting maleness and unconscious micro-agressions. If you would prefer to speak to a creature less loathsome than myself please hang up and dial 0800-OWSABOUTTHATTHEN.".

At my last regiment, 25 years ago, the RSM approved telephone answering script was so long winded I'm sure most people had forgotten why they rang in the first place.

Mid 70’s in BAOR the practice of answering the phone and stating your rank was stopped as a “security measure“, you were simply to pick up the phone and state your unit and surname.

One day I had an “incident” whilst on a sortie and on my return had to call RHQ to get an incident number for the required signal to HQAAC. The phone at the other end was answered “2DIV, Jones!” I replied “ah Jones, Sgt Beefer here from 662, pop along to the Adj and get an incident report number please”. To which Jones replied laughing “It’s Colonel Jones actually Sgt Beefer, this is fücking stupid, hang on a mo and I’ll fetch the Adj”

He was a popular CO.

We had the adj act as our phone receptionist at girdwood one morning, we were all busy with the usual sick and injured. He'd popped in with the CO and RSM and we were a tiny bit busy.
He didn't let anyone know it was the med centre, just answered with "adjutant"
Many people hung up....

Latest Threads