Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stop saying sir on the phone- A request by an RN doctor

Order of St John. Medics’ (sort of) equivalent to OBE.
.Ring-Ring-- Hello,Marine Mac speaking--- Depending who it is and voice sounds-- yes sir/Mam/Mate/What ya want,Cunt..
Mind you I got caught out a few times at cft 345 .--OOPs.:)

The author of the tweet is a friend of mine. She works in a unit and area with a lot more women than normal parts of armed forces -yet still Army say 'sir' when answering the phone. Its a mild annoyance, but I'm sure most people here would be mildly annoyed if they were automatically called 'ma'am' when phone was answered.

She is also an exceptionally experienced officer with a lot of very punchy tours in her career. An awful lot of UK and allied soldiers owe their lives to her, as she did multiple MERT tours in HERRICK, into some phenomenally dangerous places, in order to save soldiers lives.

Regardless, if minor telephone etiquette is the greatest issue in her working life, requiring a social media outburst such as this, her superiors would do well to consider a more productive career trajectory for her.

Or a more flattened one.

Last edited:
I answer the phone with a cheery Ey up Duck. Should suffice I think
A loud and curt "WHAT?" helps to make the call go quicker I find.

I made an another characteristically terrible decision this evening and logged onto Twitter. My attention was drawn to a very opinionated Royal Navy officer, an anaesthetist who posts on twitter as @doctorwibble , who is knee deep in a sexism row. This debate kicked off when the RN doc asked a question of Twitter about why the Army trains people to answer phones with Sir, particularly when they don’t know who is calling?
For example- Good morning, 49 PARA, Private Bugsy speaking Sir”.
With her feed containing white knights, seething right wingers, overly offended lefties and even a serving pongo Maj Gen I thought I’d bring it to the attention of Arrse.

So far twitter as thrown up some crackers ranging from - PC nonsense gone mad. To this is a Russians troll attack to undermine the effectiveness of our troops. The main theme however is the suggestion that the RN quack wouldn’t cope in a real war if they couldn’t cope with being called sir on the phone.

In your own time, go on.
That's a ridiculously unbelievable post.

No Para has ever been taught to use a telephone.

The author of the tweet is a friend of mine. She works in a unit and area with a lot more women than normal parts of armed forces -yet still Army say 'sir' when answering the phone. Its a mild annoyance, but I'm sure most people here would be mildly annoyed if they were automatically called 'ma'am' when phone was answered.

She is also an exceptionally experienced officer with a lot of very punchy tours in her career. An awful lot of UK and allied soldiers owe their lives to her, as she did multiple MERT tours in HERRICK, into some phenomenally dangerous places, in order to save soldiers lives.

Most people in the Army arent "sirs" they dont get mildly annoyed if some young tom answers the phone in that manner.
Generally, because most of them have a life.

For almost 30 years...I'd never heard of that, either.

But the whole Col Bloggs, Sir! has always struck me as very odd and anachronistic. So no change, then.

When I was in training we actually had a lesson on answering the telephone in the manner that she is whinging about. The instructor was female.

The young toms of today just copy what they hear other people saying.
Its not likely to change because people just say it automatically and have done for years.

Or Lincolnshire. Now then
Ought not to be doing that one now shirley?
1596611860996.png

It is a bit odd to have the phone answered in that manner. It always makes me think the pongo at the other end is stood to attention and saluting at the same time.

Stops him playing with his willy while speaking to you.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
It is a bit odd to have the phone answered in that manner. It always makes me think the pongo at the other end is stood to attention and saluting at the same time.
You just have to pay attention to how it is said. It is much better to have the phone answered in the manner "A Company, Pte Bloggs speaking, Sir" which give the caller much more information than just "Hello".

Also, note that the word Sir is an add on an means absolutely nothing for the very reason that the receiver has no idea who is calling. It just trips off the tongue and is loaded with nil respect. I doubt any officer/WO places any weight on the first "Sir".

I always answer my phone with a salute and

"Good morning or afternoon or evening or night, Sir or Ma'am or Lady or Gentlemen or scuzed gender"

Politeness costs nothing.

Mid 70’s in BAOR the practice of answering the phone and stating your rank was stopped as a “security measure“, you were simply to pick up the phone and state your unit and surname.

One day I had an “incident” whilst on a sortie and on my return had to call RHQ to get an incident number for the required signal to HQAAC. The phone at the other end was answered “2DIV, Jones!” I replied “ah Jones, Sgt Beefer here from 662, pop along to the Adj and get an incident report number please”. To which Jones replied laughing “It’s Colonel Jones actually Sgt Beefer, this is fücking stupid, hang on a mo and I’ll fetch the Adj”

He was a popular CO.

You just have to pay attention to how it is said. It is much better to have the phone answered in the manner "A Company, Pte Bloggs speaking, Sir" which give the caller much more information than just "Hello".

Also, note that the word Sir is an add on an means absolutely nothing for the very reason that the receiver has no idea who is calling. It just trips off the tongue and is loaded with nil respect. I doubt any officer/WO places any weight on the first "Sir".
Whilst in Berlin, the only Bn extension that didn't answer in that fashion was the Int Cell who answered with their extension number and no name. It was a bit of a giveaway.

Whilst in Berlin, the only Bn extension that didn't answer in that fashion was the Int Cell who answered with their extension number and no name. It was a bit of a giveaway.
If you dialled the extension surely you would know it.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
You mean your CO answered the phone with "CO speaking, Sir". I doubt it.

Most officers picked up the phone and used either their job "Company Commander" or just their last name. No "Sir"s were involved at that level :)

Latest Threads