Stop saying sir on the phone- A request by an RN doctor

Just issue a DIN or such instructing everyone to answer the phone with a curt, no nonsense "HAIL HYDRA!" before demanding the code phrase of the day.

"The Wombat strikes at midnight"

or

"One sausage or two Comrade?"

Just issue a DIN or such instructing everyone to answer the phone with a curt, no nonsense "HAIL HYDRA!" before demanding the code phrase of the day.

or

"Broadsword calling Danny boy!"

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
The author of the tweet is a friend of mine. She works in a unit and area with a lot more women than normal parts of armed forces -yet still Army say 'sir' when answering the phone. Its a mild annoyance, but I'm sure most people here would be mildly annoyed if they were automatically called 'ma'am' when phone was answered.

She is also an exceptionally experienced officer with a lot of very punchy tours in her career. An awful lot of UK and allied soldiers owe their lives to her, as she did multiple MERT tours in HERRICK, into some phenomenally dangerous places, in order to save soldiers lives.
If she's exceptionally experienced, perhaps she'll be placated by the fact that 'Sir' is generally the safe way to bet when phoning units doing the heavy lifting on ops and that going 'into some phenomenally dangerous places, in order to save soldiers lives' predicates the soldiers in question going there first when, presumably, it was even more phenomenally dangerous.

P.O.N.T.I

War Hero
It is a bit odd to have the phone answered in that manner. It always makes me think the pongo at the other end is stood to attention and saluting at the same time.

Don't

Clearly you have never served in a H/Div Regiment.............................

P.O.N.T.I

War Hero
The author of the tweet is a friend of mine. She works in a unit and area with a lot more women than normal parts of armed forces -yet still Army say 'sir' when answering the phone. Its a mild annoyance, but I'm sure most people here would be mildly annoyed if they were automatically called 'ma'am' when phone was answered.

She is also an exceptionally experienced officer with a lot of very punchy tours in her career. An awful lot of UK and allied soldiers owe their lives to her, as she did multiple MERT tours in HERRICK, into some phenomenally dangerous places, in order to save soldiers lives.
Very good, thoroughly impressed............................
Now...............do you have any photos of her sans kit?

But, but , but (no, I haven't turned Welsh). From about 20 years ago women officers were saying they wanted to be called Sir, not Ma'am.
I think it was another Americanism that crossed the pond.
Seem to recall that from US TV series and films rather than it being fact.
(Oddly enough, and coincidentally, just watched an old episode of Castle and the female Captain insisted on being called Sir when Beckett called her Ma'am).
Surely to go for Welsh, you go for example " Good morning, 49 PARA, Private Bugsy speaking, I'll Sir you now then in a minute"

Surely to go for Welsh, you go for example " Good morning, 49 PARA, Private Bugsy speaking, I'll Sir you now then in a minute"
To be an authentic Welsh reply it has to involve the phrase "you English bastard" by law?

or

My mate was a fucker for doing something similar. He'd come back from the bop, put his kit on, go for a duty supper and use the phone in the JRM to ring the QRA crew room. 'THE WHITE RABBIT HAS THREE EARS!' Phone down, back to the block, repeat several times a month. He was never discovered.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I made an another characteristically terrible decision this evening and logged onto Twitter. My attention was drawn to a very opinionated Royal Navy officer, an anaesthetist who posts on twitter as @doctorwibble , who is knee deep in a sexism row. This debate kicked off when the RN doc asked a question of Twitter about why the Army trains people to answer phones with Sir, particularly when they don’t know who is calling?
For example- Good morning, 49 PARA, Private Bugsy speaking Sir”.
With her feed containing white knights, seething right wingers, overly offended lefties and even a serving pongo Maj Gen I thought I’d bring it to the attention of Arrse.

So far twitter as thrown up some crackers ranging from - PC nonsense gone mad. To this is a Russians troll attack to undermine the effectiveness of our troops. The main theme however is the suggestion that the RN quack wouldn’t cope in a real war if they couldn’t cope with being called sir on the phone.

In your own time, go on.
A bored gunner NCO would occasionally answer as "Dr Barnado's duty bastard speaking , can I help you ?"

To be an authentic Welsh reply it has to involve the phrase "you English bastard" by law?
No they give you a warm welcome, especially if you have a holiday home

or

On tour I would occasionally put signs up "from the escape committee"

Such as "the Badgers are playing banjos"

"Tom would like visitors"

And

WO 2 (censored) is a fucking chopper.

The last one was more of a public service announcement

Another gag was picking random extensions out of the GPTN directory and making chainsaw noises when answered. Totally surreal but hilarious. Something of a furore ensued when one hapless recipient also had his car zapped with a dayglo chainsaw sticker and reported it to RAFP as a death threat. They started appearing all over Suffolk and there's still one or two surviving in the Underground I'm told. Happy days.

Latest Threads