Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stop saying sir on the phone- A request by an RN doctor

Medal people, what's the one on the left? Looks vaguely like a Maltese cross but has priority over a GSM?

Order of St John. Medics’ (sort of) equivalent to OBE.

I answer the phone with a cheery Ey up Duck. Should suffice I think
I reserve the “alwright, duck” for mey owd.
Having lived for ages near Portsmouth, now an “Awright, mush” does the job. Get the accent nearing Phil Mitchell, and you are about there, as they all think they is well hard.

i always answered with 'have you been in an accident that wasn't your fault?"

Obviously that isn't entirely true as I often had receptionists to answer the phone for me

Having lived for ages near Portsmouth, now an “Awright, mush” does the job. Get the accent nearing Phil Mitchell, and you are about there, as they all think they is well hard.

Pompey has phones?

I'd expect them to answer with 'Ugg'

wheel

LE
Dust mayne Owrite duck
1596578040483.png

Faded

Old-Salt
I actually agree with her to be honest. Why do we need to answer the phone in such a formal manner when you have no idea of the rank/gender of who is calling?

Lulworth Camp 1983 Christmas guard for the naughty boys of B sqn , 1RTR.
I dread to think what the phone bill was for picking out random garrison Guard rooms was, but I do vaguely recall chatting to some jocks in Hong Kong.

Probably a hangover from the days when phones were new and manned by a clerk.

We had several female Officers none of whom I would have worried about answering the phone to in this manner. It did bother me that the caller might be a Colour/Staff Sergeant or below.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
So if the Army changed it to "Cpl Wanker 234 Foot and Mouth Ma'am" all the green jobs would be happy? Right.

I binned the idea when I got to full screw. “Workshop - Cpl R”. 9 times out of 10 it was someone of SSgt or lower rank. If the OC happened to call or the SSM, the next line was “Morning Sir” If it was a female officer, oddly enough it’d be “Morning Ma’am”. Not rocket science, and no one ever got a Wendy on about it.

You are absolutely correct, for the years you are talking about.

Unfortunately, many years later, I am offended on their behalf, and by your use of the name "Wendy", which you have used in a derogatory manner, thereby belittling those that menstruate.

I'm sure that we can settle this amicably via PM, prior to my instructing a solicitor and you losing your house to cover my 6 figure law suit.

I'm waiting.

Latest Threads