Stop saying sir on the phone- A request by an RN doctor

Precisely. Individuals in touch with the real world get it from the off. Unfortunately, one of the considerable 'side effects' of serving is the insular nature it induces and not only that, almost encourages. I consider it very important to dip a toe in external activities as much as possible; you could argue that the officer career structure leans itself better to this.

This would never be acceptable anywhere else; yes the military environment is unique, but it doesn't excuse alienating behaviour and attitudes that hinder an increase in diversity (and therefore talent) of our workforce.

I am a serving NCO into double figures of service and try to highlight these issues where appropriate. "That's how we've always done it" is not an acceptable excuse anymore and the Army is in no position to stall on modernising it's culture.
Thank you for your service Ma'am.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

bob231

War Hero
Slightly naff white knighting aside, it's not a stupid point. Why persist in tacking on a meaningless extra syllable?

And yes, I am fully aware of how hard it is to change break-in behaviour and this isn't particularly important, but to write it off as a result just looks idle.

Greenfly

On ROPS
On ROPs
If you were just "simply" annoyed to be called sir, what was all this bollocks?

Are you going to campaign to get the REME to change their name for toms if you get through?

As the majority of the Army are not Sirs or Ma'am, I doubt they give a shit about it one way or another. The blokes who become officers wont care. The female officers who have a life wont care about it, just a small vocal minority who plainly have **** all else to worry about. just so you are clear why it happens, its because decades ago thats how we were taught to use the phone, it hasnt been taught in years, its just young lads/lasses copying what they see and hear from the older generation, just like they call the Spar/Londis the NAAFI. Nothing to do with sexism, Army policy or being stuck in the past.

Are you sure you cant be arsed because you have shown yourself up to be a bit of snowflake? Good luck joining the paras if some young tom initially calling you Sir on the phone bothers you. Seriously, you are supposed to want to be a leader, do you think Pte Bloggs and Pte Bloggeter care that someone on a phone called them Sir once on the phone?

As to your humility

You wrote on another post
The British Army has struggled to fill its infantry units for years, yet in an era of a recruiting crisis, a very small group of people seem to be obsessed with the idea that people who haven’t got a dick and can’t possibly do the job and its dangerous to let them in.

Did your RAF officer parents tell you that? The vast majority of people who object to females in the infantry have reasons such as the Army are ******* when it comes to equal rights, in other parts of the Army where females have served for nearly 3 decades next to men, there are still problems, the army said there will not be two standards of fitness (Previously females had to do less press ups and had a longer time to run) purely coincidentally the Army has recently changed the fitness tests, now they are generally easier but as they apply equally to males and females its okay... I cant remember what year the Army is supposed to have 15% females serving but its soon, quotas that cant be met, generally lead to a lowering of standards so they can be met.

You probably didnt know all that but it didnt stop you chopsing off about those nasty men who were sexist.

You might be the best officer that Sandhurst has ever seen, you might be in for a shock, only time will tell.
That-a-boy Stacker, you tell her!

She actually said her biggest concern was going on her 8 mile run, whilst you old fucks gob off.

Stacker, gen question- have you ever fired a rifle outside of a range you REMF?

Now watch the dumb cunts bite!

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

She actually said her biggest concern was going on her 8 mile run, whilst you old fucks gob off.

Now watch the dumb cnuts bite!
Who's sock are you again? I've lost the mong spread sheet.

Now watch the dumb cnuts bite!
No i havent. Much like most of the Army.

Not quite Nobby_sapper standard of white knighting but you are getting there.

Precisely. Individuals in touch with the real world get it from the off. Unfortunately, one of the considerable 'side effects' of serving is the insular nature it induces and not only that, almost encourages. I consider it very important to dip a toe in external activities as much as possible; you could argue that the officer career structure leans itself better to this.

This would never be acceptable anywhere else; yes the military environment is unique, but it doesn't excuse alienating behaviour and attitudes that hinder an increase in diversity (and therefore talent) of our workforce.

I am a serving NCO into double figures of service and try to highlight these issues where appropriate. "That's how we've always done it" is not an acceptable excuse anymore and the Army is in no position to stall on modernising it's culture.
If you were a serving NCO you know full well its no longer Army policy to say sir on phone and hasnt been for a long time so why are you making up stories about "thats the we've always done it".
Clearly your regiment has no major problems for you to give a fuck about, just that occasionally someone says sir automatically on thebphone.

Greenfly

On ROPS
On ROPs
No i havent. Much like most of the Army.

Not quite Nobby_sapper standard of white knighting but you are getting there.
Well fair fucks to you for dusting the whatsit crumbs of your gut, smelling your own farts and then offering advice. You didn’t serve in the infantry so what gives you the authority to proffer advice.

Fuck white knighting some snowflakey bint that we all know won’t get anywhere P Coy, it’s you I want to fuck. Really slowly. Whilst I spin dit’s about Nahr-e Saraj. Fuck you turn me on!

Greenfly

On ROPS
On ROPs
If you were a serving NCO you know full well its no longer Army policy to say sir on phone and hasnt been for a long time so why are you making up stories about "thats the we've always done it".
Clearly your regiment has no major problems for you to give a **** about, just that occasionally someone says sir automatically on thebphone.
Again, you served in LOGISTICS you dribbling spastic. You were barely a soldier haha.

I love how much this is getting to you though. The essay you typed was delicious. Keep biting, I’m loving it. Go on.. reply to this. Don’t fight it x

Clearly your regiment has no major problems for you to give a **** about, just that occasionally someone says sir automatically on thebphone.
At my first unit some SNCOs would award extras for catching someone not using Sir, mind you letting the guardroom phone ring 4 times was considered a crime there.
It takes a while for people to change the habits of a lifetime.
It's not like anyone meant anything by using the word. It was automatic.

I learnt there were different ways of saying "Sir" or "Ma'am", some were not as respectful as others. The phone thing was nuteral.

If we really want to mirror the way modern society is going being referred to as Sir, Ma’am, saluting and the wearing of rank should be coming to the end of its usefulness. It works on civvy street.

Last edited:
My Father did something similar, with "Battersea dogs home, duty stray"

His CO simply responded with something along the lines of 'This is the top dog..."
My mother often answered the telephone with "Hello, dogs' home?" until a rather senior officer queried the response.
To be fair to the old dear, she would get death-threats fairly regularly and handled that crap with total sang froid.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

Bodenplatte

War Hero
I learnt there were different ways of saying "Sir" or "Ma'am", some were not as respectful as others. The phone thing was nuteral.
"You will call me 'Sir' and I will call you 'Sir.' The difference is, you will mean it."

RSM* John Lord at Sandhurst or RSM Ronald Brittain at Mons . . . . . .

* I think he was the last before the AcSM appointment came in.

How would you answer the phone if you are unable to establish who is phoning prior to picking the receiver up?
Quickly and easily?

“Hello, X Squdron office, Corporal Smith speaking, how can I help you?”
<caller identifies themself>
”Sorry Sir/Ma’am/Dïckhëad, sort it out yourself.”

Latest Threads