Stop saying sir on the phone- A request by an RN doctor

As a female about to commence training at RMAS I would be quite miffed if I was called Sir!

The Army is fighting a recruitment battle for young talent against a huge range of employers and needs to attract people not just for the short term, but the long term too. It needs to show that it is an employer where everyone feels welcome and that their gender is of secondary concern to their ability to do the job. We shouldn’t fear moving with the times.
One would hope that when you have passed out with PIPS (are we allowed to say PIPS nowadays), that you would be delegating the routine task of making phone calls to your Troop Sgt/Cpl/Clerk etc whilst you are concentrating on the more important issues. I.E. Sgt/Cpl/Clerk etc XXXX phone the cookhouse and book late meals for the Toms, I am off to the CO's/OC's briefing for tomorrows exercise/training etc etc.

As a Former Troop Sgt, I would be slightly miffed if my Troopy (Troop Officer) would be making routine phone call's to the cookhouse/MRS etc etc.

I would also be delegating down to my Troop Cpl etc, i.e. Cpl Smudge give the cookhouse a shout and book late meal's for the Tom's. Lt xxxx's authority, any hassles pass the phone back to me etc etc.

How would you answer the phone if you are unable to establish who is phoning prior to picking the receiver up?

SIR, it's only a word!!!!!!

As a Potential Officer you have more important issues to worry about and one is qualifying and passing out of RMAS.

It is clearly disgusting and colonial behaviour to answer the phone with "Sir".

All phones should be replaced with a Blue phone and a Pink phone with each having seperate numbers. That way boy officers must phone the blue phone number and girl officers must phone the pink phone numbers.
Then the person being called will know whether to say "Sir" or "Maam".
Trans officers can call either depending on how offended they want to be.

It is clearly disgusting and colonial behaviour to answer the phone with "Sir".

All phones should be replaced with a Blue phone and a Pink phone with each having seperate numbers. That way boy officers must phone the blue phone number and girl officers must phone the pink phone numbers.
Then the person being called will know whether to say "Sir" or "Maam".
Trans officers can call either depending on how offended they want to be.
Military radio's are green, will they be supplied in various colours for each sex/diversity etc?

Where will it all end!!!!!!

What’s wrong with ’Yo!’
I answered the phone once with a cheery 'Yo M@ F@!' assuming it would be an SO3 on the line. It was the 1*. Oops. Fortunately this was the early 90s and he had never heard the term so didn't have a clue about what I was saying and must have assumed it was a bad line or his dodgy hearing. Needless to say my responses to his questions were well-laced with Sir and copious grovelling just in case.

Military radio's are green, will they be supplied in various colours for each sex/diversity etc?

Green phones???? That is so aggresive! What the hell has that got to do with the military?

Every person of uniform must prioritise not offending anyone....ever. Hate crimes like this are why the Army will not be able to recruit delicate people....and without delicate people this country would have achived nothing!

I see that it is good practice in senior civil-service land to have your preferred pronouns stated in your signature block. I'm sorry, I really don't give a f@ck about how you identify yourself, what clothes you wear and who you do / do not sleep with, my only concern is whether you are reasonably good at your job and I will form my own view on that.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I see that it is good practice in senior civil-service land to have your preferred pronouns stated in your signature block. I'm sorry, I really don't give a f@ck about how you identify yourself, what clothes you wear and who you do / do not sleep with, my only concern is whether you are reasonably good at your job and I will form my own view on that.
The Police tried that whole what is your preferred method of address thing too, my response of "Oh Mighty One, Destroyer of Worlds" Got me an interview without coffee. If they didn't want to know, why ask? Is apparently also not the correct answer.

Last edited:
Not just in the CS either - they're creeping in where I am too (Defence industry).

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

How would you answer the phone if you are unable to establish who is phoning prior to picking the receiver up?
"12 Platoon, Lt Tappet speaking" worked well.

As did 'Adjutant' in the grumpiest possible manner.

I had no issues at all if my soldiers picked up with a 'Cpl Smith Speaking'. As long as it was Cpl Smith who was actually speaking, of course.

I answered the phone once with a cheery 'Yo M@ F@!' assuming it would be an SO3 on the line. It was the 1*. Oops. Fortunately this was the early 90s and he had never heard the term so didn't have a clue about what I was saying and must have assumed it was a bad line or his dodgy hearing. Needless to say my responses to his questions were well-laced with Sir and copious grovelling just in case.
A story of my own faux pas

Here we are, staring down the barrel of an Integrated Review that is (if the scuttlebut I hear is correct) going to put a bayonet through Defence in ways that will make SDSR 2010 look like MB had won the Euro-Millions, and people worry about how someone answers a f***ing phone?

I understand that the original complainant might be a fairly well decorated and respected RN Medical Officer; good on her. However, if she is prioiritising her thoughts on being called "Sir" down a phone then she has missed the bigger picture completely. Not entirely unknown amongst PQOs and Reservists, granted, but Jeeeesus F***ing Christ.

Here we are, staring down the barrel of an Integrated Review that is (if the scuttlebut I hear is correct) going to put a bayonet through Defence in ways that will make SDSR 2010 look like MB had won the Euro-Millions, and people worry about how someone answers a f***ing phone?

I understand that the original complainant might be a fairly well decorated and respected RN Medical Officer; good on her. However, if she is prioiritising her thoughts on being called "Sir" down a phone then she has missed the bigger picture completely. Not entirely unknown amongst PQOs and Reservists, granted, but Jeeeesus F***ing Christ.
Though to be fair, 15 pages in, we're hardly ignoring the subject.... :)

Erinon

Old-Salt
I was expecting a call from my mate and answered, "Trumpton Firestation Fireman Sam here" to which my CO replied, " This is the Chief Fire Officer, can i speak to..." good job he had a sense of humour.

Last edited:

Erinon

Old-Salt
Green phones???? That is so aggresive! What the hell has that got to do with the military?

Every person of uniform must prioritise not offending anyone....ever. Hate crimes like this are why the Army will not be able to recruit delicate people....and without delicate people this country would have achived nothing!
and God forbid they actually have to shoot someone.

I was expecting a call from my mate and answered, "Trumpton Firestation Fireman Sam here" to which my CO replied, " This is the Chief Fire Officer, can i speak to..." good job he had a sense of humour.
My Father did something similar, with "Battersea dogs home, duty stray"

His CO simply responded with something along the lines of 'This is the top dog..."

Buddy!

War Hero
As a female about to commence training at RMAS I would be quite miffed if I was called Sir!

The Army is fighting a recruitment battle for young talent against a huge range of employers and needs to attract people not just for the short term, but the long term too. It needs to show that it is an employer where everyone feels welcome and that their gender is of secondary concern to their ability to do the job. We shouldn’t fear moving with the times.
Precisely. Individuals in touch with the real world get it from the off. Unfortunately, one of the considerable 'side effects' of serving is the insular nature it induces and not only that, almost encourages. I consider it very important to dip a toe in external activities as much as possible; you could argue that the officer career structure leans itself better to this.

This would never be acceptable anywhere else; yes the military environment is unique, but it doesn't excuse alienating behaviour and attitudes that hinder an increase in diversity (and therefore talent) of our workforce.

I am a serving NCO into double figures of service and try to highlight these issues where appropriate. "That's how we've always done it" is not an acceptable excuse anymore and the Army is in no position to stall on modernising it's culture.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Precisely. Individuals in touch with the real world get it from the off. Unfortunately, one of the considerable 'side effects' of serving is the insular nature it induces and not only that, almost encourages. I consider it very important to dip a toe in external activities as much as possible; you could argue that the officer career structure leans itself better to this.

This would never be acceptable anywhere else; yes the military environment is unique, but it doesn't excuse alienating behaviour and attitudes that hinder an increase in diversity (and therefore talent) of our workforce.

I am a serving NCO into double figures of service and try to highlight these issues where appropriate. "That's how we've always done it" is not an acceptable excuse anymore and the Army is in no position to stall on modernising it's culture.
clip clop