Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stop saying sir on the phone- A request by an RN doctor

She's 100% correct. The Army really needs to get rid of these backwards attitudes, it makes us look silly to the other two services who are lightyears ahead of the Army in terms of career management and diversity and also has the potential to alienate potential recruits.

I'd suggest anyone who feels otherwise really doesn't have a place in the modern day British Army.

Well played, sir!

It looks as though you've won this round of 'I'm More Offended Than You', as @CrestedViper has withdrawn in the face of your resolute queefery.

Bodenplatte

War Hero
I'm salutin' you now, SAH !

I never saw that happen, but I swear that I saw a Grenadier RSM salute a Tannoy loudspeaker when being addressed by an Irish Guards major. A sudden flash of memory gives me RSM Randall, Major Prince Ghika, at Earls Court in 1965. Rehearsals for the Royal Tournament - always good to pop in and have a look. Randall was in the main arena, Geek was completely invisible somewhere up in the Gods and Flies.

Last edited:
This is absolutely hilarious. Dr Wibble is spot on. Turn it around - I suspect many male Arssetiri would have been exceptionally miffed had they been addressed as Ma'am when calling. Times have moved on. Tradition can be made instantly and is oft an excuse for shoddy behaviour.

it wasn't uncommon, while I was in a BHM, for the phones on the wards to be answered with 'Ma'am' as there were quite a few female officers, especially on the wards, I had a couple of phone calls I made, to another ward, answered with "Ma'am".
I was far less offended about that than I was being called "Sir", what with me appearing to work for a living an' all.
In the same way that being with another unit as a Tom I was called 'Trooper' by those who had forgotten that I wasn't a tankie. To be fair after a few days on exercise we all looked the same.
Once or twice I was insulted by being called Bdr. (there are limits)

In every case (except the Bdr one) there were far bigger things to worry about (like a W/Pte D* R****s at rinteln, she was terrifying)

Scroll up Ma’am, you’ll find you are the only one that is outraged that some may not agree with you.

I’m not some shirking violet, nor am I one of the “woke brigade”. All I said is I’d appreciate it if I wasn’t called Sir.

Right, I best head back to the kitchen. These dishes won’t clean themselves. I’ll use my tears to wet them.
But you will be happy to be called Ma'am? Thats not very egalitarian is it?

it wasn't uncommon, while I was in a BHM, for the phones on the wards to be answered with 'Ma'am' as there were quite a few female officers, especially on the wards, I had a couple of phone calls I made, to another ward, answered with "Ma'am".
I was far less offended about that than I was being called "Sir", what with me appearing to work for a living an' all.
In the same way that being with another unit as a Tom I was called 'Trooper' by those who had forgotten that I wasn't a tankie. To be fair after a few days on exercise we all looked the same.
Once or twice I was insulted by being called Bdr. (there are limits)

In every case (except the Bdr one) there were far bigger things to worry about (like a W/Pte D* R****s at rinteln, she was terrifying)

I was called colour a few times when attached to the infantry, I would have been miffed but luckily I realised that it made fuck all difference to my life.

She's 100% correct. The Army really needs to get rid of these backwards attitudes, it makes us look silly to the other two services who are lightyears ahead of the Army in terms of career management and diversity and also has the potential to alienate potential recruits.

I'd suggest anyone who feels otherwise really doesn't have a place in the modern day British Army.
Modern day British Army? I think all the SLR and NI references should tell you all you need to know about the age demographic of the ARRSE collective.

But you will be happy to be called Ma'am? Thats not very egalitarian is it?

I think it would suit your narrative better if I used my little dainty 23 year old lady thumbs to type out a passionate post. A nice big rambling emotive piece regarding the injustice in society, toxic masculinity and the upset I feel having to fight gender inequality everyday.

The dull truth I’m afraid is my position is far less interesting. It’s simply as a female I’d be somewhat annoyed if I was addressed as Sir. That’s it. Not earth shatteringly outraged. Not filled with horror or shock. Not rendered unable to carry on. Just somewhat annoyed. Which people can choose or choose not to give a fuck about, it doesn’t matter to me. I then made a wider point about the challenges Army recruitment faces with attracting quality young talent. I mentioned that I believe as an employer they should continue to demonstrate that gender is of secondary concern to their ability to do the job. My biggest concern today is that I’ve had to delay my 8 mile run.

I probably share many of your frustrations and equally roll my eyes at PC gone mad. I don’t think someone is on the other end of the line waiting to try upset me. For a little more context, I am the daughter of two 22 year service personnel and I grew up on military bases. This obviously means very little and I only mention it to highlight that I’ve experienced the military culture in some respect.

I don’t care what you have between your legs, if I think someone is a dick or cunt (see what I did there) then their gender is irrelevant to me. I really can’t be arsed to continue this silly back and forth with you. You joined this forum when I was ten years old and have 57,246 posts- clearly I have a while to go before I am savvy enough to match you in online debate.

To round up, I’m not joining to go on a feminist crusade nor will I throw my teddies out if I hear something I don’t agree with. I’m joining with the intention of doing the job well and doing myself proud. Whether I am readily "accepted" by those I work with will hopefully be down to how I
am as an individual, my professionalism & humility.

Can I go back outside and play now mister?

I think it would suit your narrative better if I used my little dainty 23 year old lady thumbs to type out a passionate post. A nice big rambling emotive piece regarding the injustice in society, toxic masculinity and the upset I feel having to fight gender inequality everyday.

The dull truth I’m afraid is my position is far less interesting. It’s simply as a female I’d be somewhat annoyed if I was addressed as Sir. That’s it. Not earth shatteringly outraged. Not filled with horror or shock. Not rendered unable to carry on. Just somewhat annoyed. Which people can choose or choose not to give a **** about, it doesn’t matter to me. I then made a wider point about the challenges Army recruitment faces with attracting quality young talent. I mentioned that I believe as an employer they should continue to demonstrate that gender is of secondary concern to their ability to do the job. My biggest concern today is that I’ve had to delay my 8 mile run.

I probably share many of your frustrations and equally roll my eyes at PC gone mad. I don’t think someone is on the other end of the line waiting to try upset me. For a little more context, I am the daughter of two 22 year service personnel and I grew up on military bases. This obviously means very little and I only mention it to highlight that I’ve experienced the military culture in some respect.

I don’t care what you have between your legs, if I think someone is a dick or **** (see what I did there) then their gender is irrelevant to me. I really can’t be arsed to continue this silly back and forth with you. You joined this forum when I was ten years old and have 57,246 posts- clearly I have a while to go before I am savvy enough to match you in online debate.

To round up, I’m not joining to go on a feminist crusade nor will I throw my teddies out if I hear something I don’t agree with. I’m joining with the intention of doing the job well and doing myself proud. Whether I am readily "accepted" by those I work with will hopefully be down to how I

A long winded way of saying how not bothered you are.

The dull truth I’m afraid is my position is far less interesting. It’s simply as a female I’d be somewhat annoyed if I was addressed as Sir. That’s it. Not earth shatteringly outraged. Not filled with horror or shock. Not rendered unable to carry on. Just somewhat annoyed. Which people can choose or choose not to give a **** about, it doesn’t matter to me. I then made a wider point about the challenges Army recruitment faces with attracting quality young talent. I mentioned that I believe as an employer they should continue to demonstrate that gender is of secondary concern to their ability to do the job. My biggest concern today is that I’ve had to delay my 8 mile run.

I don’t care what you have between your legs, if I think someone is a dick or **** (see what I did there) then their gender is irrelevant to me. I really can’t be arsed to continue this silly back and forth with you. You joined this forum when I was ten years old and have 57,246 posts- clearly I have a while to go before I am savvy enough to match you in online debate.

You really need to be a lot less bothered about this right now. Your instructors will give you enough to be bothered about.

When you’re commissioned you’ll be pretty busy too just learning your actual job for a couple of years.

As you progress you can start to make changes from within. Little ones at first, and given the nature of the beast you should be proud of those. Don’t come out swinging or it will end in tears.

Latest Threads