Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stop saying sir on the phone- A request by an RN doctor

Chimp

ADC
This is absolutely hilarious. Dr Wibble is spot on. Turn it around - I suspect many male Arssetiri would have been exceptionally miffed had they been addressed as Ma'am when calling. Times have moved on. Tradition can be made instantly and is oft an excuse for shoddy behaviour.

As a female about to commence training at RMAS I would be quite miffed if I was called Sir!

The Army is fighting a recruitment battle for young talent against a huge range of employers and needs to attract people not just for the short term, but the long term too. It needs to show that it is an employer where everyone feels welcome and that their gender is of secondary concern to their ability to do the job. We shouldn’t fear moving with the times.

As a female about to commence training at RMAS I would be quite miffed if I was called Sir!

The Army is fighting a recruitment battle for young talent against a huge range of employers and needs to attract people not just for the short term, but the long term too. It needs to show that it is an employer where everyone feels welcome and that their gender is of secondary concern to their ability to do the job. We shouldn’t fear moving with the times.

Do you have any fake outrage for the vast majority of people in the Army who aren't either a Sir or a Ma'am?

Its not Army policy to call people Sir on the phone so why are you waffling on about "moving with the times". Its just an automatic response from people (Including females).

Still, at least you have you have your priorities right when it comes to being "miffed"about the most trivial of things :roll:

I don't think I've ever answered a phone in a way that would need me to use 'sir' 'ma'am' or even '<inset rank> before I'd worked out who was calling. I doubt I'd ever be 'miffed' but I do find it a bit odd.

"Good morning/afternoon/evening, Rfn. Twott."
"Colour/Lt./Capt./etc."
"Sir/Ma'am." as appropriate.

Or

"Good morning/wotever, Rfn. Twott."
"Cpl. Badger."
"F*ck off you c*nt, I'm already doing your job for you. You owe me beers."

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

I suppose calling you "love" is out of the question, then?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

Be sure to call your instructors they or them to show how inclusive you are, it'll give you an extra edge

Do you have any fake outrage for the vast majority of people in the Army who aren't either a Sir or a Ma'am?

Its not Army policy to call people Sir on the phone so why are you waffling on about "moving with the times". Its just an automatic response from people (Including females).

Still, at least you have you have your priorities right when it comes to being "miffed"about the most trivial of things :roll:

Oh for goodness sake.

I have no “fake outrage”. I merely stated an honest personal opinion that I wouldn’t be best pleased if I was called Sir. That’s it.

If you were a man working in a canteen, would it be appropriate to call you a "lunch lady" ?
We now refer to police officers, firefighters, postal workers ... all non-gendered terms. It's not that complicated.
You shouldn’t be afraid to adapt and modernise.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Oh for goodness sake.

I have no “fake outrage”. I merely stated an honest personal opinion that I wouldn’t be best pleased if I was called Sir. That’s it.

If you were a man working in a canteen, would it be appropriate to call you a "lunch lady" ?
We now refer to police officers, firefighters, postal workers ... all non-gendered terms. It's not that complicated.
You'll find a lot of us have done an awful lot of adapting and modernising in our time, under conditions you haven't the faintest concept of yet.

Oh for goodness sake.

You tell 'em, pet.

Buddy!

War Hero
She's 100% correct. The Army really needs to get rid of these backwards attitudes, it makes us look silly to the other two services who are lightyears ahead of the Army in terms of career management and diversity and also has the potential to alienate potential recruits.

I'd suggest anyone who feels otherwise really doesn't have a place in the modern day British Army.

Oh for goodness sake.

Who gives a shit if you werent "best pleased"? Funny how for decades no one gave toss about the vast majority of the Army not being Sirs (or Ma'am) but its only a problem when someone who is a Ma'am doesnt like it.
I assume in the interests of you being young and trendy, that you wont expect anyone to address you as Ma'am should you make it through Sandhurst? Equality being fashionable at the moment.

If I worked in a lunch hall I doubt anyone on the phone would address me an a lunch lady.

You are going to shit the bed when you find out what the REME call their toms.

As for adapt and modernise, Soldiers (male and female) dont wait by the phone, ready to offend a female officer by calling her Sir, its just something that they have picked up during their time in the Army. Neither sex is really likely to care that a female officer is addressed as sir for the first 5 seconds of a phone call.

She's 100% correct. The Army really needs to get rid of these backwards attitudes, it makes us look silly to the other two services who are lightyears ahead of the Army in terms of career management and diversity and also has the potential to alienate potential recruits.

I'd suggest anyone who feels otherwise really doesn't have a place in the modern day British Army.

You are doing it wrong, it should be anyone who disagrees with you is a Nazi.

You see the irony, right?

Err no.

Have you googled what the REME call their toms yet? That can be a equality crusade for you if you get through Sandhurst

Houseboy

Old-Salt
Scroll up Ma’am, you’ll find you are the only one that is outraged that some may not agree with you.

I’m not some shirking violet, nor am I one of the “woke brigade”. All I said is I’d appreciate it if I wasn’t called Sir.

Right, I best head back to the kitchen. These dishes won’t clean themselves. I’ll use my tears to wet them.

You see the irony, right?

In principle you’re right and I expect everyone on here actually agrees with you.

Two things.

1. If taking the p*ss out of each other was an Olympic sport, the British Army would be up there on the podium every time. Their coaches would probably be found here on ARRSE.

2. Look up Lazlow’s ‘Hierarchy of Needs’. If you are about to go to RMAS I can tell you (based on my own experience) that your horizon is not going to get above the bottom tier of that hierarchy while you are there.

I suggest you spend the rest of your remaining time running and learning how to clean kit and iron properly. And no, that isn’t a sexist remark.

Latest Threads