Stop, Mecca Time

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by icecold, Aug 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. icecold

icecold Clanker Reviewer

Apologies if this has already been done, had a quick scan and couldn't find anything.

Giant Mecca clock seeks to call time on Greenwich - Telegraph

A giant clock has been built in Mecca, which will run on Arabian Standard time. Islamic scholars are hoping that it will replace GMT as a standard time.

"A standard time by which other clocks were set was needed to organise global travel and communications, but in the Islamic world the idea that it should be centred on a part of London is seen as a colonial anachronism."

Not really sure I agree with any scientist who comes up with arguements like this...

This claim that the holy city is a "zero magnetism zone" has won support from some Arab scientists like Abdel-Baset al-Sayyed of the Egyptian National Research Centre who says that there is no magnetic force in Mecca.

"That's why if someone travels to Mecca or lives there, he lives longer, is healthier and is less affected by the earth's gravity," he said. "You get charged with energy."
  2. Muslim nation in overstated self importance due to wealth beyond their cultural means and un-enlightened sand religion shock.

Expect to come to an end in 2040 when the oil runs out.
  3. A "giant clock" eh? Gosh, what a scientific innovation!

These mediaeval infidels really ought to join the 21st century.... in fact joining the 19th century would be a giant step forward. Fuckwits one and all.
  4. ... I am disappointed.

I was expecting a youtube of some burka clad, harem-pant wearing lovelys busting a move to MC Hammer.

Bollox :(

<... runs off>
  5. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Allah be praised (PBUH). I must say the islamo-clock thingy is in jolly good taste. 21,000 led's that flash in green and white so that even deaf Muslim's know when to pray.
  6. icecold

icecold Clanker Reviewer

Now that really would have been a sight!! Ooohhh ooohhh.
  7. icecold

icecold Clanker Reviewer

And they can see it from 18 miles away! M ust be a bugger to live next to, with all those lights flashing on and off.
  8. According to Yusuf al-Qaradawi, an Egyptian cleric known around the Muslim world for his popular television show "Sharia and Life", Mecca has a greater claim to being the prime meridian because it is "in perfect alignment with the magnetic north."

WTF?? I would think everwhere was in perfect alignment ... Nice to see that Muslim clerics can talk twaddle just as well as Christian ones!
  9. They just haven't been doing it for so long.
  10. Fair comment rebel!
  11. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

What's their problem?

Have the Arabic Nations forgotten that they were one of the 25 signatories to the 1884 International Meridian Conference, and voted in favour of Greenwich being the Prime Meridian?

Likewise someone ought to tell them and the Torygraph that it hasn't been GMT for 38 years (since 1972), apart from in the UK. The official name is UTC.
  12. I seem to remember this proposal from the equal amounts of spluttering outrage when they announced the plan in Apr 2008.
  13. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I'm surprized that nobody has made the obvious point that Arab time is a bit like the Spanish concept of 'mañana' but without the urgency. (See also 'Cyprus, my friend')
  14. Spanish concept? Don't you mean the Al-Andalusian concept?
    Al-Andalus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is necessary. Many of those with hearing impairment are from communities that permit marriage between cousins; allegedly. There are many others who mothers had the random misfortune to get rubella during pregnancy.

I, on the other hand, am a deaf bastard due to the effects of whizz-bangs in my mis-spent youth.
  15. I don't get it, Meccas have always had clocks, so the bar staff know when to call time.