Stop complaning about the kit!!

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Schaden, May 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

MOD statement.....

"The success of our forces against the Taleban shows that they are not only among the best in the world, but also among the best equipped," he said.

Why do they think that frantically spinning the positive on bloody everything means that everyone believes them?
  2. If that's what passes for logic in Downing Street these days, no wonder the country is in the state it is. A 4th Year school pupil could poke holes in that argument.
  3. I think the quote is ' we have managed to succeed in all our wars and conflicts in spite of the logistics and equipt, not because of them!'
  4. Stolen from the same thread on PPrune:

"That's the spirit, George. If nothing else works, then a
    total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face
    will see us through..."
  5. Seeing most soldiers buy there own kit is it any wonder that they are getting less complaints about it. There was a time that if you used any thing but what was issued to you you would quickly wind up in cells. Now if you want some thing that is practical and long lasting you go and buy it your self.
  6. Even back in the bronze age, when I was in, we had to buy our own kit because what was issued was cr@p.

SLR (Not to be confused with SLR Boy).
  7. Seconded: on my last NI tour, 4yrs before Combat '95 uniforms, I did a rough estimate on the lads in my COmpany.

I reckon most of them were traipsing around South Armagh wearing about £300 of kit bought from civvy suppliers: Danner boots, Barbour smocks, Norwegian shirts, etc. etc.

On the other hand, in those days, the stitching on your smock pockets used to give way if you put anything in them, so wearing issue kit meant you'd return from a foot patrol looking like Wurzel Gummidge.
  8. lord knows how much we have all spent, one of the things i always thought was good about the american system was that they got an allowance towards uniform.

However im sure if Neu Arbeit did anything with that it would become a crock quicker than you can say 'Spin to win'
  9. so does this mean that the MOD are going to reimburse our soldiers for the kit they bought from civvy suppliers .

If the mod did a survey in to how much our much soldiers paid for their own kit out of there wages Joe public would have a shock .

The thing is how do they expect soldiers to pay for their kit when they have lots of other expenses to pay out especially when they also have family's etc to look after

there was this reply from no 10 regarding equipment in march
  10. I heard about the terrible pockets on the '85patt jacket, but what was a Barbour smock like?

Was it DPM-lookalike, or just green waxed cotton like an anglers overcoat?

Forgive my youth - this isn't a Wah.
  11. I believe that there was a Barbour 'Combat' in DPM. Barbours in general were the height of fashion in the eighties, especially for WO2s and above.

Among us low-lives there were a few who used the Barbour 'Thornproof Dressing' (wax) on a spare combat jacket. I don't know how well it worked, but it looked gash.

12. See here:
    [hr]TT is correct about the DPM Barbour - very popular among ill-equipped lads hacking through S Armagh thorn hedges in the rain, not just WO2s and up (although I did see Gen Inge in one once, at Catterick - just after his staff had baned the wearing of Barbours in uniform!) :D

If the kit was any good, then why is Silvermans still around?

I thought we were making progress in afghanistan because we were the best army in the world.

Only a bad tradesman blames his tools.

14. I found some of that a bit confusing...

WMIK is heavily ARMED

and yet they talk about putting ARMOUR on pinz gaur's as a replacement.

I know the words sound the same but they mean two completely different things.

another hole the 4th year could poke in the argument?

(edited to include the quotes)
  15. The answer seems to be in here somewhere:
    WMIKs (in the current config), are Lannies with guns - and an armoured underbelly.

So you armour the underbelly of yr PG, transfer the Weapons Mounting Installation Kit from Clapped out Lannie to Ganz Neu Pinzgauer, and rock on: heavily armed, heavily armoured (underneath) and still in short supply, (I expect).