Stop Britain Funding Argentina (Petition)

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Ignorant_Layman, Mar 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In the wake of the referendum, I thought it might be wise to give this campaign a little kick up the backside:

Sign the petition: Stop British funding to Argentina | Home | The TaxPayers' Alliance

"We are calling for the British Government to oppose any further World Bank loans, underwritten by British taxpayers, to Argentina. Our new campaign includes an e-petition on the UK Government’s official website and we have published new research looking at the scale of the funding. British taxpayers’ money is supporting loans to Argentina on a substantial scale, over £225 million.

This is despite recent attacks from the Argentinian government on British interests, including advocating a boycott of British goods, and disputing the sovereignty of the Falkland Islands. Moreover as a middle-income country, Argentina has no pressing humanitarian need for aid.

We need your help to collect 100,000 signatures to ensure that the issue is debated in the House of Commons. Please help make this happen by sharing the petition far and wide."
  2. Done

Take that you Argies...that'll learn 'em

3. I have boycotted their corned beef since 1982!

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

When relations began to Fray...
    • Like Like x 4
  5. If you read the article through, Factcheck halfway concedes that "not tracing these loans back to the supporter countries undermines accountability for the work of Multi-National Development Banks", and decides to reserve judgement until "We've put this to a number of experts in international economics".

The TPA's arithmetic seems eminently sensible: If Argentina has outstanding loans valued at $10.6 billion (£6.9 billion) at the Inter-American Development Bank and $5.6 billion (£3.6 billion) at the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development and Britain has a 0.96 per cent stake in former and a 4.5 per cent shareholding in the latter, our "slice" from each of the outstanding loans is £227.6 million.

At any rate, it's clear that we're putting something into Argentina, however intricate the mechanism. At a time when Argentina is trying to organise a Cuba style blockade of an Overseas Territory, this isn't acceptable.

6. 22 June 1986 did it for me.
    • Like Like x 4
  7. I have stopped playing Polo in protest!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. But I like Polos. Except those sugar-free ones. They make me shit through the eye of a needle.
  9. You must have a pretty good aim ;-)
  10. [​IMG]

Take that Johnny Gaucho!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. DieHard

DieHard LE Book Reviewer

Petition the public to boycott everything Argentine, its a lot more effective than getting the gov to do something.
    If one of the national papers jumps on to the bandwagon then it will pick up pace very quickly.
    They would lose more than £225 million
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Facts don't matter...what matters is that 'Beggar's Belief from Basingstoke' and 'OMG!! from Orpington' get their daily dose of frothiness. "****ing Argies! ****ing Sweaty Socks! ****ing Romanians! ****ing Yorkshiremen! ****ing whoever else looks or even remotely sounds ****ing foreign who's getting more than me!" They love it! It's what keeps them going!
  13. Ben, toss me the Fray.
  14. Why? I thought it was produced in Uruguay.