Stomach Ulcer/Possible Cancer Questions

My father died in his 70s of a sudden heart attack, and I thought what a way to go, clean and simple. I would not want a lingering death.
Whenever go and see my Mum our first toast is always 'absent friends' thinking of my Dad and my brother. Both died suddenly and she is grateful that neither suffered a long illness and loss of dignity. As the Irish toast goes 'May you get to heaven ten minutes before the Devil knows you are dead'

I attended the 80th birthday lunch today of my uncle who was the twin of my mother who died far too soon at 47. He kindly mentioned her in his speech which made me fill up no end. It reinforced for me the importance of family.I'm glad Joe (David) managed to get home and to die at home in the UK. Build bridges with family if you can folks , if contact has been lost. Sometimes things happen where this is impossible, but do try. One other thing , I noticed is how frail the elderly can now appear,uncles wife now has the dowager hump and uncle can't walk too far...which is a bit of a bugger as he's an Orangeman through and through and now rides in a flash car for his parades

Last edited:
I've been asked to post this info up on behalf of the family:

David's funeral will take place on Wednesday 16th of May, at 1pm (UK time) at Teeside Crematorium, Middlesbrough. We will then go on to The Blue bell Hotel. NO FLOWERS PLEASE. I am requesting donations to the Oncology unit at James Cook University Hospital to buy a Toto Turning System. If David had had this it would have lessened his pain and made the nurses job less stressful. I will give details for donations as soon as I have them and I will carry on organising sponsorship locally.

. Build bridges with family if you can folks , if contact has been lost. Sometimes things happen where this is impossible, but do try.
Indeed, I've never forgotten a sentence from a Dennis Wheatley novel - The Second Seal;-

" 'Too late', the saddest words in the English language"

Well, Joe has gone. Get the beers in mate, I'll be along presently.

We were born 11 months and 400 yards apart, never met and never spoke to each other but doubtless our paths crossed several times. Middlesbrough, London, Hong Kong.

It was a good service. I'd feared that with him having been in Hong Kong for the past 21 years, as well as being an only child, his funeral might not have been well-attended - one of the reasons I turned up, really. I shouldn't have worried. Joe made a quite a few friends on ARRSE, despite being a despicable, never-served civvy. It's probably an indication of his personality that he was considered a well-respected and valued member and that same personality brought enough people to almost fill St Bede's Chapel at the crematorium. It seems that he made friends very easily wherever he went.

The service brought out many details of Joe's life. While not a mirror of my own, there was much that I could identify with. Moving from Middlesbrough to London, then Joe shifted his life to Hong Kong (something that I was encouraged and sorely tempted to do but I lacked the courage to go through with it). Childhood memories, places and so on.

It's probably worth a mention that when I visited HK in 2012, I intended to pay Joe a surprise visit. We'd messaged each other in the past and exchanged a few pleasantries but never went as far as to reveal our real identities. Nevertheless, it was enough for a keen stalker and practitioner of Google-fu, such as I am. l knew his parents ran a newsagents in North Ormesby - it took a while but I found a photo of the shop - which gave me his surname. Knowing his job, that gave me his office address, phone number and first name. With that and his interests, it wasn't too hard to find out in which part of HK he lived. As that was a bit far off the beaten track, and not wanting to impose too much, I decided that the best place to surprise him would be at his office on the Thursday afternoon as that would give the opportunity to arrange something for the weekend. Unfortunately, I had a back problem that relapsed on the Tuesday night. Not wanting to impose a cripple on him, all the plans went awry, so I never did meet him. A shame, as I would have loved to have seen his face when a total stranger turned up at his office. (Let this be a lesson in PERSEC - four innocuous details can be enough to trace a single person in the entire world) (unless your name is Wong and you're a Chinese farmer).

Anyway, that's enough. Joe went through the same portal as my parents and several uncles and aunts over the last 10 years. Perhaps that's why I'm saddened at the passing of a stranger. Or maybe it's just a reflection of Joe's character.

Well, Joe has gone. Get the beers in mate, I'll be along presently.

We were born 11 months and 400 yards apart, never met and never spoke to each other but doubtless our paths crossed several times. Middlesbrough, London, Hong Kong.

It was a good service. I'd feared that with him having been in Hong Kong for the past 21 years, as well as being an only child, his funeral might not have been well-attended - one of the reasons I turned up, really. I shouldn't have worried. Joe made a quite a few friends on ARRSE, despite being a despicable, never-served civvy. It's probably an indication of his personality that he was considered a well-respected and valued member and that same personality brought enough people to almost fill St Bede's Chapel at the crematorium. It seems that he made friends very easily wherever he went.

The service brought out many details of Joe's life. While not a mirror of my own, there was much that I could identify with. Moving from Middlesbrough to London, then Joe shifted his life to Hong Kong (something that I was encouraged and sorely tempted to do but I lacked the courage to go through with it). Childhood memories, places and so on.

It's probably worth a mention that when I visited HK in 2012, I intended to pay Joe a surprise visit. We'd messaged each other in the past and exchanged a few pleasantries but never went as far as to reveal our real identities. Nevertheless, it was enough for a keen stalker and practitioner of Google-fu, such as I am. l knew his parents ran a newsagents in North Ormesby - it took a while but I found a photo of the shop - which gave me his surname. Knowing his job, that gave me his office address, phone number and first name. With that and his interests, it wasn't too hard to find out in which part of HK he lived. As that was a bit far off the beaten track, and not wanting to impose too much, I decided that the best place to surprise him would be at his office on the Thursday afternoon as that would give the opportunity to arrange something for the weekend. Unfortunately, I had a back problem that relapsed on the Tuesday night. Not wanting to impose a cripple on him, all the plans went awry, so I never did meet him. A shame, as I would have loved to have seen his face when a total stranger turned up at his office. (Let this be a lesson in PERSEC - four innocuous details can be enough to trace a single person in the entire world) (unless your name is Wong and you're a Chinese farmer).

Anyway, that's enough. Joe went through the same portal as my parents and several uncles and aunts over the last 10 years. Perhaps that's why I'm saddened at the passing of a stranger. Or maybe it's just a reflection of Joe's character.
I did meet with Joe and it is sad you did not but life is life, we spent an evening in lan qui fong having beers and talking the usual man shit, meeting with strangers is the fruit of life, everyone has a new perspective. 10th of August I intend to meet another ARRSER who was friendly with Joe. Anyone in for a meet up in Hong Kong?

Had a chat with his mam (yes, that's how we spell it up here). It seems that he wanted to be a tankie but at 6'6" or thereabouts, he wouldn't fit (I had a mate who was 6'2" who had the same thwarted desire), apparently the drivers hatch won't close on anyone over 6'.

Must have been a bit of a disappointment for his ex-Coldstream dad.

His mam's lovely. His wife's lovely. I'm making no comment about his daughter as she's only 14 but I'd remark that it's not just his model-making skills that he was good at.

All a bit of an eye-opener, it seems that I wasn't the only one who'd never heard of a parmo until I was 50.

Sorry if I'm wittering. I'm taking 3 different tablets that recommend avoiding alcohol. It's only the second time in 6 years that I've had 4 pints. I had a pint last night and woke up with a hangover. Hmm. It's 17:55 and I'm staying in a pub...

Shit. I was going to post some stuff about my scares with stomach cancer and being referred by an Indian doctor who was maybe less than competent and the consultant scanning me at the hospital laughing and saying 'why were you referred? - that is your rib!', but now doesn't seem the right time/place to do that.

This is very sad news.

My condolences to his friends and family.

Anyone who wishes to donate for the hospital equipment that Ami is raising funds for, donations can be made to the following account.

Barclays
South Tees Hospitals Charity
20-48-42

Please quote reference E118