Stomach Ulcer/Possible Cancer Questions

I've had some digestive problems since January - when I swallowed food it was getting 'stuck' on something going in to my stomach, and food wasn't being digested. This got steadily worse so I was carted off to hospital on Tuesday evening (6th March).

I had an endoscopy on Wednesday morning and they found a BFO ulcer at the top of the stomach and down in to it. This is obviously why I've had the difficulty swallowing, it is effecting peristalsis which is why food wasn't passing through as nature intended. My Haemoglobin had also dropped from 15.3 in December to 10.

I was quite relieved when the doc said ulcer - until he said that he didn't like the way it protruded and said it could well be cancerous. I'm now waiting on the results of the biopsies, hoping for the best but planning for the worst.

In the meantime, I'm on a fluid-diet - yoghurt with honey, high-cal drinks, fresh fruit milk-shakes, soup etc. When I was released the one thing they didn't give me were laxatives, so things backed up pretty quickly again. I'm managing it wih Senakot tablets, and I tried a spoonful of Olive Oil but had a problem getting it down (my gag reflex seems a bit more accute than it was).

I'm back to the hospital on Thursday, but does anyone have any advice on how to manage it in the mean-time, because my stomach is all over the place with bloating and rushing to the loo?

Last edited:
Following my back injury, I had to attend group physio sessions which comprised Tai Chi. The Physio was a great fan of this and once remarked that, in addition to toning muscles, it massaged the gut, encouraging regular bowel movements - useful for those attendees who were experiencing constipation as a side-effect of their medication.

It did nothing for my IBS but it might be worth a try.

Firstly, good luck for Thursday.

Mint is good for bloating, peppermint tea, water, cordial are all worth trying. Personally I'd go for the tea and try it both hot and cooled. For the constipation, Lactulose is available over the counter which acts as a stool softener to help keep things moving, it can make you fart a bit mind.

Is it worth popping into a chemist and asking what's the best thing? There must be one near you. Explain the circumstances and see what they recommend that you can have there and then that doesn't need a prescription.

Hopefully, one local visit and good advice and a remedy without having to return to the doctor before your next appointment.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Strange that you are having problems passing if you are on a liquid type diet.
Ask the doc for movicol that will help and it's not too severe so you won't be rushing.

When I was diagnosed the hospital called the day after I had the colonoscopy and biopsy to tell me the bad news. However I was elated because they finally found something. The nurse said that it was the first time someone actually said "Oh good, you've found something".

Hopefully you are ok because they are very quick in diagnosing and get the patient back in if it's serious.

Best of luck, digestive tract problems are nasty. I've got a small hernia that pops my bowl out, at the moment I can push it back and after two major surgeries on my bowel I really don't want to go under again, I dare say the day will come when it doesn't pop back in though.

I'm back to the hospital on Thursday, but does anyone have any advice on how to manage it in the mean-time, because my stomach is all over the place with bloating and rushing to the loo?
Fingers crossed for you!

I've had some digestive problems since January - when I swallowed food it was getting 'stuck' on something going in to my stomach, and food wasn't being digested. This got steadily worse so I was carted off to hospital on Tuesday evening (6th March).

I had an endoscopy on Wednesday morning and they found a BFO ulcer at the top of the stomach and down in to it. This is obviously why I've had the difficulty swallowing, it is effecting peristalsis which is why food wasn't passing through as nature intended. My Haemoglobin had also dropped from 15.3 in December to 10.

I was quite relieved when the doc said ulcer - until he said that he didn't like the way it protruded and said it could well be cancerous. I'm now waiting on the results of the biopsies, hoping for the best but planning for the worst.

In the meantime, I'm on a fluid-diet - yoghurt with honey, high-cal drinks, fresh fruit milk-shakes, soup etc. When I was released the one thing they didn't give me were laxatives, so things backed up pretty quickly again. I'm managing it wih Senakot tablets, and I tried a spoonful of Olive Oil but had a problem getting it down (my gag reflex seems a bit more accute than it was).

First of all, almost all endoscopic procedures that find evidence of a stomach ulcer will involve a biopsy to exclude or confirm malignency, but they are also checking for the much more common presence of H. Pylori - a bacteria that can cause ulcers. In the event of the latter you will be prescribed a hefty cocktail of antibiotics which is pretty unpleasant (from about the 3rd day of a seven day treatment) but which will have the dual effect of clearing out your gut and a slight weight loss - the latter due to the fact that your butt will be rarely out of the bog and you won't feel like munching. That said you will rapidly recover and feel great.

Main point right now is don't be so daft as to do anything or take anything suggested by well meaning amateurs. If you can't manage, go to a Pharmacist, explain the situation and they will either prescribe a solution for your constipation or refer you to a GP. That way you will either get a safe relief or a professional excuse to approach your GP surgery. Best of luck, hope you are sorted quickly (that should probably read 'arrseorted'.

Ask the doc for movicol that will help and it's not too severe so you won't be rushin
Movicol can be bought over the counter after a chat to the pharmacist - bloody expensive though. As to being "not too severe", that depends on the dose. I was tied to the bog for two days in advance of a colonoscopy - mind, that was on 8 sachets a day, as I recall. When I'd finished, I thought I had piles but luckily it was just my tongue.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Movicol can be bought over the counter after a chat to the pharmacist - bloody expensive though. As to being "not too severe", that depends on the dose. I was tied to the bog for two days in advance of a colonoscopy - mind, that was on 8 sachets a day, as I recall. When I'd finished, I thought I had piles but luckily it was just my tongue.
I know I shouldn't laugh, but....well at times you have to.

Not a medic here but a lot of blokes I know of my age have problems with their stomach and digestion. And prostate problems. It all messes their life and sleep patterns up and they take a lot of Rennies. They change their diet and they start exercising, some of them drop meat and dairy, some eat loads more fruit especially red berries and dates, and more veg. I'm not sure how good their consultants are but some were told to change their diet, increasing fluids and soluble fibre. Every case is different and the GP usually knows best but I've been thinking that seeing a nutritionist might help. Good luck to the OP.

Just start drinking your vodka with banana milk shake like the experts do

Bon chance

I had similar problems in my early twenties. It turned out to be, after a long search, H-Pilori bacteria. Once given a serious treatment of antibiotics I have had no problems for over 30 years.

I really do hope it is this simple for you.

Good luck and all the best.

Did they prescribe omeprazole?

If not i’d Have thought that that was a professional oversight unless there is some freaky contraindication i’ve Never heard of

Can’t see why they wouldn’t

Might as well repost this.

After my first spine op I was on lots of Codeine.

I also ended up with a complaint I termed Co4 or CoCoCoCo - CoCodamol Constipation Complex.

My arrse had gone AWOL and become a conscientious objector. Doctor gave me Movitol (or something like that) which worked as a bulking agent and just made it worse. Pharmacist suggested Lactugal and glycerin suppositories (I still have the unopened box of them going cheap - I was not a fan of the delivery mechanism).

I necked half a pint of Lactugal and chased it with a pint of Andrews Liver Salts.

Worked fine - eventually. I ended up with a massive case of the squits but was unable to get rid of them. The end of my digestive system was plugged with a solid metal version of the Hoover Dam. So I was constipated and diarrhoeac at the same time,

Spent the entire day on the khazi with chronic guts ache squirting little dribs and drabs that worked their way around the blockage. Eventually squeezed the plug out of my arrse, which was the closest I will ever come to experiencing childbirth.

Good luck to you. Hope it all turns out well.

Might as well repost this.

After my first spine op I was on lots of Codeine.

I also ended up with a complaint I termed Co4 or CoCoCoCo - CoCodamol Constipation Complex.

My arrse had gone AWOL and become a conscientious objector. Doctor gave me Movitol (or something like that) which worked as a bulking agent and just made it worse. Pharmacist suggested Lactugal and glycerin suppositories (I still have the unopened box of them going cheap - I was not a fan of the delivery mechanism).

I necked half a pint of Lactugal and chased it with a pint of Andrews Liver Salts.

Worked fine - eventually. I ended up with a massive case of the squits but was unable to get rid of them. The end of my digestive system was plugged with a solid metal version of the Hoover Dam. So I was constipated and diarrhoeac at the same time,

Spent the entire day on the khazi with chronic guts ache squirting little dribs and drabs that worked their way around the blockage. Eventually squeezed the plug out of my arrse, which was the closest I will ever come to experiencing childbirth.

Good luck to you. Hope it all turns out well.
If you scoff it long enough you eventually balance out, the price to pay is a codiene habit :mrgreen:

Well if we're telling true stories, twenty years ago I had a bad case of the bungs over two days and couldn't shift the plug. It got so bad I took an oral laxative without thinking, big mistake as @Tedsson knows. Spent half a day squirming and groaning driving the other half round the twist. True dit, when it gets that bad it's really painful. Laxative says Go, arrse says No, there's me in the middle and the wife expecting an Alien birth in the front room, a blown gasket or sudden death. How ******* embarrassing, "he died of constipation and a blown gasket".

Other half phones the GP who calls back an hour later to recommend a certain suppository stocked by the Chemist only a minute's walk away. Excellent says I, and went or rolled like a pregnant matelot round to the shop looking like I'd sh*t myself. Chemist was closed due to a ******* power cut. The next Chemist with the right botty bomb, still not sure why it had to be that one, was eight miles away.

I had to get the car out, other half was waiting for the hairdresser, phones brother and off we went, me trying to drive squirming and swerving down the dual carriageway. Scrunging at the other drivers. Brother asks "are you going to die? because if you ******* die I'll ******* die as well". Gets into the city and finds a parking space with a Chemist in view.

We get out and find the ticket machine, me squirming, local scrote takes the piss, local scrote gets slammed against the wall and apologises profusely. Sore ring, bad mood. Goes and buys the bullet, never took one before. Lady in the shop demonstrates, "wet the end first, insert botty bomb, sit straight down. G'bye". Cue repeat of the eight mile squirming swerving drive, still scrunging, ring in rag order. Brother's kissing his rosary and nearly in tears.

Frightened the hairdresser, wet the bullet and loaded it into the breach. Instant magic. Told the wife her new hair-do was a mess and bought bruv a pint.

Hope your appointment with the doctor goes well this Thursday. I sympathize. I had bowel cancer surgery in December, but the biopsy the docs did as part of the cutting came out clear of cancer (for now). I have to watch my food intake now though and make sure that I don't eat too much otherwise it comes back up. Urp!

Well, that's a bugger - I was told last week that I have stage 4 stomach cancer and it's spread to pancreas, lymph nodes and peritoneum. I’m due to start chemo on the 17th April, but short of a miracle along the loaves and fishes line the prognosis isn’t good :(

I’ve been in and out of hospital 3 times in the last 2 weeks with Ascites (they drained 10 L of fluid from my abdomen), and low BP.

Anyone offer any crumbs of comfort?