Stoma

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Tommo5050, Jan 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. About 3 months ago I was admitted to hospital and underwent Emergency surgery and ended up with a stoma. I'm having real trouble with keeping the bag that's insitu from leaking, consequences of that is my sh1t has burnt all the skin away directly under the stoma and the stoma team decided to make me use wafers so that my sh1t didn't get on the skin, unfortunately I've been ordered by the doc to use a powder to repair the skin and therefore the wafer wont stick to my skin and then sh1t gets back onto the skin and then usually creeps out of the edge of the bag. Can anyone suggest a way of fixing this problem, it's bad enough having to cope with this everyday without stinking of sh1t all the time.... And this is serious so no P1ss taking please, oh well, maybe a little bit.

2. Argh... must... resist... urge....

3. Contact your local hospital and ask where the nearest continence advisor is based. He/she should be well trained in stoma care and best placed to help you. I wish you the best of luck, I can imagine that the problem is quite distressing and I wish you a speedy solution.

4. I'd take this problem back to the stoma team for their advice. I wonder if the key to this is stopping the leaks. Its many years since I've done any general surgery but I find it a little worrying that there is leakage to such a significant degree to cause excoriation of the skin. Might be worth asking if you could try a different type of appliance. You could also trying asking these people:

http://www.ostomylifestyle.org/index.php

All the best.

5. Thanks for that, I will speak to the people from the link you gave me because the stoma team feel like they've exhausted their ideas. Another problem with this is I still have stitches around the wound site that should have dissolved but now the stoma team have realised the stitches are not the type that actually dissolve. I'm getting very frustrated with this, I haven't been able to pick up my son for nearly 5 months now and that's more distressing than stinking all the time. Again, thanks for the link.

6. OK, it sounds a little more complicated now. I'd ask to see the consultant surgeon who did your op and ask him a few questions, starting with "Is this stoma working normally?"

7. It's been (some) time since I did any general surgery, but any cutaneous sutures in there after three months ain't going to help your wound heal any quicker.

As per JB above, I'd suggest chatting to the Consultant, you are perfectly within your rights to request it and this needs sorting out. Is the stoma permanent or temporary?

Hope you get sorted.

SD

8. Also could try these people: http://www.iasupport.org/default.aspx or http://www.colostomyassociation.org.uk (depending whether you have a colostomy or ileostomy)

From http://www.colostomyassociation.org.uk/find-information/hints-and-tips-for-you.aspx

C

9. Thanks,

It's temporary and the sutures are also causing problems with the wafer. I had a Colonoscopy 3 weeks ago, was due to undergo surgery to remove part of my bowel but after seeing further ulceration in my Bowel they are now suggesting Crohns but the biopsies are not coming back with anything conclusive. The team who are dealing with me had a multi disciplinary meeting two weeks ago and I've not heard anything since.

10. Good news that it's temporary, at least the light at the end of the tunnel is a little brighter.

You should have heard the results of the meeting by now, this is something the NHS is crap at, particularly if you aren't jumping around and shouting because for every quiet punter being ignored in the corner there's another six gobby ones demanding the attention. Time to start shouting Tommo.

Good luck with it!

SD

11. Just an update on this, I went to see my Stoma team on Thursday last week as my Stoma had prolapsed, they brought the Surgeon in who operated on me in the beginning, he looked at my stoma and said 'lose some weight, I need you in surgery' and walked out. Even the Stoma team were speechless, so as it stands, I've got to lose a couple of stone which Im not complaining about as I could do with losing some as my Pie arm has become over active as of late, I was only really p*ssed off because he looked at me as though I'd asked asked him to wash a Tramp's C*ck and while critising me for being a bit chubby round the gills he looks like he's no stranger to a kebab fritter. Pretentious C*nt.

12. You should have skiffed him.

13. with quality bag content :D

14. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Tommo, having met you and your family, I do realise your going through a lot, BTW my civvy work colleagues have no sense of humour and barf everytime I show the photo which is every day as they deserve it. Hopefully you will get through this and when you do there is a holiday for you.

15. Tommo, I fully sympathise with your situation. My wife was admitted to hospital in November as an emergency and had to have a stoma (temporary), diagnosis was bowel cancer so I know where you are coming from. Reading your post I realise that we have been lucky, we have had one or two "accidents" and she also had problems with the stoma bag being on her stitches, (this she alleviated by using gauze tape between stoma and scar), the stoma team and surgeon, oncologist etc. have all been brilliant, I am sorry that yours does not seem to be providing the same service. She is looking at having stoma put back in next couple of months so we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Her positive mental attitude has seen her through not sure I could have coped as well if it was me.

Suggest you try links provided and Stoma team and nurse.

Hope you get it sorted.

Feel free to PM for further advice.