Stolen weapons

Could be worse- I seem to remember reading a couple of yeras ago that the Russians have 17 suitcase-sized nuclear weapons unaccounted for!

I like the way they suggest that one SA80 getting lost on an excercise is more 'dramatic' than a raid on a Artillery armoury in which 28 Brownings got nicked. It comfortably puts the onus on the squaddie rather than armed criminal gangs.

Interesting priorities the press...

That followed the recovery of a handgun left by an army captain in a supermarket toilet in Hertfordshire.
They also dramatised the article by neglecting to mention it was a female army captain who left the weapon behind :twisted:

I like the way they suggest that one SA80 getting lost on an excercise is more 'dramatic' than a raid on a Artillery armoury in which 28 Brownings got nicked. It comfortably puts the onus on the squaddie rather than armed criminal gangs.
What i love even more than this is "SA80 rifle capable of firing 700 rounds a minute". Good lord 700 rounds shouldnt that be banned under the geneva convention 8O :roll:. When did this raid on an artillery armoury happen?! To me 28 pistols represent a much greater danger than one un-conceable rifle (touch-wood) I seem to remember a whole 4tonner of weapons getting caught in a flood and washed away in kenya or somewhere like that?

When did this raid on an artillery armoury happen
Its here, http://archive.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/search?q=+Royal+School+of+Artillery++ appears they recovered some bits...

Three in court after theft of Army guns
From the Swindon Advertiser, first published Thursday 20th Sep 2001.

THREE civilians have appeared in court charged in connection with a £10,000 theft of guns from the Royal School of Artillery, Larkhill.

All three had a peripheral role and had not been involved in the theft of the guns, 12 shotguns and 19 pistols, which happened overnight on April 11 and 12 last year, Kennet magistrates in Devizes were told.

The men were Mark Beaver, of James Road, Amesbury, who admitted dishonestly receiving the stolen guns and assisting in disposing them; Stuart Doris, of Bulford Road, Durrington, who admitted dishonestly receiving the stolen shotguns and Michael Hickton, of Coronation Road, Durrington, who admitted shortening the barrels of four shotguns. He pleaded not guilty to dishonestly receiving stolen goods.

Another man, Bombardier John William Thompson, faces a charge of stealing 12 shotguns and 19 nine millimetre Browning pistols, worth £10,250 belonging to military personnel.

Thompson was not present in court because he was away on a military exercise. His solicitor Ray Tan entered a plea of not guilty on his behalf and Thompson is due in court in November.

Roger Jones, prosecuting, told the court on Monday that the investigation into the theft of the guns was ongoing and the police were searching for another man in connection with it.

Mr Jones said Beaver, 38, Doris, 28, and Hickton, 34, got involved after the guns were stolen.

He said: "The Crown takes a very serious view of this case. These days weapons have an increasing focus and the arrival of weapons on to the black market must be a concern for everybody."

Nick Redhead, for Beaver, said his client was an acquaintance of the other man police were searching for and was persuaded to drive him to Bristol Airport. The shortened guns were put into his car.

Once Beaver was aware what they were he disposed of them in Somerset, said Mr Redhead.

Mike Redpath, for Doris, said his client was persuaded to go to London with the other man to help him move `some stuff,' which were the 12 shotguns. He said Doris was shocked when he realised it was guns.

Roger Stanbury, for Hickton, who is married with children, said his client shortened the barrels of four shotguns as a favour and did not receive payment for it.

Mr Stanbury said: "He obviously knew he was being asked to do something shady to say the least."

The magistrates decided their powers of punishment were insufficient and the men will be sentenced by a judge sitting at Salisbury Crown Court on a date to be fixed.

Archive Home

From the Swindon Advertiser