Stolen Recovered 4x4

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by wedge_cadman, Apr 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

Hi Everyone,

I have just inherited a landrovery discovery from a family member, this was bought 12 years ago as a stolen recovered and has never been re-registered.

It has sat in his workshop for the last 12 years with the tag of "when i get around to it", but he never ended up sorting it.

It is immaculate condition, just needs new ignition barrel and the fuel lines replaced, all parts are the originals ie, chassis and engine number, but no V5 present

my question is, how do i go about re-registering it and is it worth the trouble, the dvla website is a bit vague and dont even start with the call centre..

I look forward tothe guidance (and piss taking) of fellow arrses.

2. Had a mate with a similar problem, he had to get permission off the insurance company who, if I remember charged him money to pass over the logbook. If you don't get any better help I'll give a bell and get better details for you.
  3. If it is at least 12 years old, then it is likely to be a 200tdi or 300tdi. Their current value is about £750 - £1500. I would suggest that it is not worth the effort - flog "as is" for parts!
  4. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

thanks for the link.

i have no idea what the original registration was..
  5. On the other hand, even if it is one of the first ones produced, i.e. 21 years old, it will only have 9 years worth of mileage on it...

But beware, if it has been laid up for 12 years, there could be all sorts of corrosion around - a lot of which won't be visible from the outside. Hydraulic pipes, fuel tank, engine components, pumps, etc. that could make it prone to catastrophic breakdowns and costly repairs.

Could be worth investing a minimal amount and see how it performs over a few months before making a final decision whether to keep or scrap.
  6. Or buy a clapped out one of same vintage that is registered and swap out all the parts.
  7. Look on the windows for the vehicle registration mark - often etched on for security.
  8. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Buy a scrapper. Jack up the number plates. Slide the scrapper out. Slide your Disco in. Sorted.
  9. If you are still stuck as to what to do, please give me a call and I will HPi the car, tell you how it is registered and give you chapter and verse on how to proceed.

I will need the full chassis number to HPi so please have this handy

Please send PM to get our number
  10. There will be no shortage of people wanting the engine to stick in their Land Rover, especially if it's low mileage and hasn't suffered from sitting around. Things like the axles, seats, wheels and random bits of trim are very sell-able too.

If getting it registered proves too much of a ball-ache/expensive it shouldn't be hard to flog it to some one willing to trailer it away.