Stolen Medals Handed into Thames Valley Police.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by HS12, Feb 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

At the risk of asking a stupid question; are those the actual medals that were recovered? The last on in the group is the New Zealand War Service Medal.
  2. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Here's his number ...

Det Sgt Mark Heybourne from Reading Priority Crime Team on 0845 8 505505.

Every little bit of information helps.
  3. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

The owner could of course be a Kiwi. As for ID, weren't Number rank and name stamped on the rim back then?
  4. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Not as standard on British issued WW2 medals. This was due to the sheer number issued. You could get them stamped, but I think you had to send off especially for that service. Not sure about the NZWS Medal though.
  5. blue-sophist

According to LINK the NZ medal was issued un-engraved.

RP578 ... are you phoning the Plod with the clue?
    As you live in that country [possibly]?
  6. Is the centre medal an Italy Star, with the Africa Star next to it?
  7. blue-sophist

Yup ... Africa Star then Italy Star.
    Africa Star has probable "8th Army" bar.
    Which is the set you would expect a Kiwi to have.
    They got some really sh1tty postings in ww2, and were superb.

incidentally, I see the TVP picture [below] is titled "NZ War Medals", so I think the TV Plod know what they are!! The NZ one has NZ written all over it, after all ... :lol:

Attached Files:

8. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Got an answer phone and left a message. Can't see how it won't tell them anything new though (unless the Plod are thick as mince) as the medal should carry the legend: FOR SERVICE TO NEW ZEALAND 1939-1945 on the reverse.

They are: 1939-19945 star, AFRICA STAR (the clasp isn't legible at that file size, but I'm guessing it's 8TH ARMY as it belongs to Kiwi), ITALY STAR, WAR MEDAL, NZWS MEDAL.
  9. blue-sophist

Well, that's all right then. We're all agreed, and now all we have is some poor old Kiwi who must be at least 85 years old who's had his medals nicked by some Reading scum.

Which narrows the field to around 50% of ...

God, it was an awful place. And that was at least 10 years ago.
  10. I spoke to plod on this, there is no name, rank, No engraved on any of the medals they seem to be the original due to the condition they are in. Also plod have spoken to some medal experts but not had much luck apart from being rare due to the NZ medal. I passed on the details for the veterians agency, I am affraid it looks like there will be a poor chance that we can get these medals back to te rightful owner.

If they catch the chav w@nker, send him to afgan, so he little sh1te realises what this veterian went through.

11. Might be worth pointing them in the direction of Brock Barracks as the 'club' there, hosts a number of veterans associations meetings. I'll get on the phone to plod now.

And of course there's the Italy Star Association.
  12. Erm...have the plod contacted the NZ DA at the HC? After all the NZ armed forces are so small, they are probably still chuntering about this shocking theft at the mess bar! :twisted:
  13. blue-sophist

True, when I worked with RNZAF they didn't have ID cards as they all knew each other ...

Hat, Coat .... :oops:
  14. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

I wonder if it it's more likely to be a family heirloom? Especially given its NZ origins. I've just tried calling the RBL branch there, but no one's answering. I guess the Rozzers would have already spoken to them, but it can't hurt I suppose.