Stolen medals - do the auction houses have a notification system?

As above - see below, the feckers.

I know they’re never coming back, but I do think there is a case for corporal punishment and imprisonment with hard labour in cases such as these. That lady’s father was slogging his guts out in India, Burma, Italy and North Africa for 5 years. In a tank, apparently.

And some scrote thinks it’s OK to thieve them. When caught, they should be harshly punished, IMHO.

As above - see below, the feckers.
Un-named loose medals are difficult to trace.

Named medals are traceable so inform Police if not already done so.

'SEND A EMAIL WITH PHOTO'S AND CRIME REFERENCE NUMBER FROM THE POLICE' to all the local Auction Houses and ask them to pass on to other Auction Houses.

Genuine Auction Houses hate selling stolen goods as it damages thier reputation.

With medal groups like that they are better made up into a court mounted set so some named medals are mixed in with un-named medals. Villains are unlikely spilt the group and put them up for auction as one lot.

Contact MoD Medal Office who will re-issue medals if a Police Report/Crime Reference Number enclosed.

Pop around local Antiques & Junk shops etc to see if the medals have been sold there.

Most Villains will sell on ASAP to realises some cash i.e. junkies etc.

Most likely the Villain is local.

As has been said, the WWII medals would have been issued unnamed - thus, about a £100 will replace those.

The beret badge - same.

The only thing worth chasing is the IGS 1908-35: can't see the clasp but if it is 'NW FRONTIER 1935' and named to 'Royal Tank Corps' (probably appears as 'R Tank C') then it's worth a few bob - as a singleton a couple of hundred quid.

Again, as has been said, report to police ASAP: provide full details of the IGS naming and phots, if possible.

Also not a bad idea to make auction houses such as Dix Noonan Webb, Baldwins, etc aware of the details.

Establish a profile on British Medal Forum - British Medals Forum • User Control Panel • Register - and head for the 'Lost or Stolen Medals' thread and make the theft known.

ETA: just checked and some kind soul has already made a post relating to it.

As has been said, the WWII medals would have been issued unnamed - thus, about a £100 will replace those.

The beret badge - same.

The only thing worth chasing is the IGS 1908-35: can't see the clasp but if it is 'NW FRONTIER 1935' and named to 'Royal Tank Corps' (probably appears as 'R Tank C') then it's worth a few bob - as a singleton a couple of hundred quid.

Again, as has been said, report to police ASAP: provide full details of the IGS naming and phots, if possible.

Also not a bad idea to make auction houses such as Dix Noonan Webb, Baldwins, etc aware of the details.

Establish a profile on British Medal Forum - British Medals Forum • User Control Panel • Register - and head for the 'Lost or Stolen Medals' thread and make the theft known.

ETA: just checked and some kind soul has already made a post relating to it.
Ebay needs watching but in my experience they don't seem to care.
Being auctioned was a R.F.C/R.A.F combat report. I pointed out these were government property and the one for sale was either stolen or a fake. Quite a number were stolen by "researchers".
Not interested.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
The Nomadic travelling community also have form for liberating medals and re selling them halfway across the country the same day

That lady’s father was slogging his guts out in India, Burma, Italy and North Africa for 5 years. In a tank, apparently.
I'd hazard a guess at 2 RTR (7th Armoured Bde), as they completed the set of N Africa, Burma and Italy and were the only RTR unit to serve in Burma (during the retreat of 1942).

Latest Threads