Stolen Honour (UK Law)

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by seaweed, Aug 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

HMG have now responded to the petition re criminalising stolen honour. as follows:

"The Government takes these issues very seriously. Making, or attempting to make a financial gain by fraudulently wearing uniform or medals, or by pretending to be or have been in the armed forces or to have been awarded a medal, is already a criminal offence of fraud under the Fraud Act 2006. The offence carries a maximum penalty of 10 years’ imprisonment. It is also an offence under that Act (carrying up to five years’ imprisonment) for a person to possess or have under his control any article for use in the course of or in connection with any fraud.

"The unauthorised wearing of Service uniform or the wearing of uniform in a manner that is likely to bring contempt on that uniform, are also criminal offences under the Uniforms Act 1894, and may be punished by a fine or imprisonment. Any serving member of the armed forces who falsely claimed an entitlement to an honour would also be at risk of prosecution under the Armed Forces Act 2006. "

i.e. the Govt isn't going to do anything about the offence caused to those tho have served by walts parading out of uniform (e.g in a blazer etc) with medals they are not entitled to, where financial gain is not involved. So it has to be name and shame in the media for them. Off you go, walt hunters!
  2. While I appreciate the sentiment - do we actually know how many prosecutions there were, historically, under s197 of the Army Act 1955? I would expect that there were not that many. So, if there wasn't much action taken when we had a law against it, why do we need a new one? Especially as the Govt is claiming to be wanting rid of some of the excess of new, bad and simply unjust laws enacted since 1997.

Yes, I do think walting has got more offensive (given the casualties - both deaths and injuries) of Blair's wars and I suspect it is also more common, with the increase in overt respect that the Services seem now to have amongst the general public.

Or, on the other hand, just hang them all?
  3. To be fair, the second paragraph deals with a different statute that has nothing to do with financial gain. There's already a law against uniformed and medal Walting, so why pass another? What people need to do, is persuade the Police to enforce that law.

Good luck with that.
  4. So that would be a common sense reply from the current government, pointing out that since the legislation already exists there is no point in passing poor knee-jerk legislation for the sake of a bit of short-term popularity? What a refreshing change!
  5. What about sock puppeting?
  6. I thought transgressors were taken into the moderation dungeon and turned out as gimps.
  7. what can be done though to the walts that still construct a fantasy army life, that gains them huge cudos, but have not gone done the road of fake medals and uniforms? There's no laws to punish them. With troops dying on a near weekly basis, its sick what they do, and I wish something could be done about it
  8. You could make sure all the people they've been lying to know what a bellend they are; that's probably more offputting than anything else. Is it really that great an idea to fill up the courts with bullshitting barflies?
  9. How does this impact you? They do not harm anyone and its probably a fantasy like any other. Are you a walt vic tim ?
  10. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Wow first post & straight on the bus.
    Don't you know how to queue?
  11. Sounds like chubb's back!
  12. I think people worry far too much about walts.

The majority are harmless enough window lickers, and if it gives them something to do, let them get on with it. It's pretty obvious to 99.9% of the population they're walts and 'Ex SAS Ninja SEAL? yes mate, whatever' is all they warrant.
  13. No I'm not a walt, I've had the dubious pleasure of encountering one. And it appears I'm the only one who smells a rat. He's not obvious to 99% of people. It took me a while to realise things didn't add up. Of all the people I've met through him, not a single one smells the bs. This guy is good
  14. Agree up to a point, but there are some who have got enough common sense to not go OTT and milk their 'veteran' status for all it's worth while keeping it plausible.
  15. "Wearing of uniform in a manner that is likely to bring contempt on that uniform, are also criminal offences."

Thats the RAF Regt f*cked then.