Stolen (Google) Earth?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by KhakiCrab, Nov 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've had said software on my laptop for a couple of months, but all of a sudden it has disappeared - literally. The icon on my desktop is gone and I can't find any evidence of it ever having existed on my computer.

Furthermore, when I go to the Google Earth website and try to re-download it, everything seems to go fine - there are no error messages - but there's still no Google Earth available when it's finished installing.

Is this some hidden line in the terms and conditions I missed (product will uninstall itself after 'x', unless you pay us to keep it - kinda thing) or some sort of bizarre virus that just selects a particular application and removes all evidence from your PC...

....or what????

2. Not that I'm aware of! (no help at all I know, but I'm bored today....sorry :) )

3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Works fine for me.

I don't want to get you paranoid but................................ :pc:

4. Might be worth copying the icon from your list of programs and pasting it into desktop and seeing whether it stays

This is for Vista;
    Start button (bottom LH) to bring menu up
    Choose All Programs
    Find Google Earth
    Right Click and choose Copy
    Move cursor to Desktop
    Right Click
    Choose Paste Shortcut
    Icon should appear

Sorry if I'm trying to teach you to suck eggs but someone might find it useful-who knows?!! Hope it helps

5. Snag is, it doesn't appear in my list of programs.

It's not just that it doesn't appear on my desktop - it's that despite it having been previously installed and working just fine, it's suddenly vanished and doesn't appear on my list of programs or, for that matter, anywhere on the hard-drive, as far as I can tell.

I'm running Windows 7, btw.