Stolen Falklands Plaque

#1
Need the help of every one here on ARRSE to find the rightful owner/place of the plaque
The story is I'm in Plymouth and it was given to an exRAOC mate of mine
by a mate of his ,as it was found on a local tip , I know this sounds a bit dodgy but knowing the two blokes involved they would NOT deface a war memorial and just want it returned
Any help at all would be fantastic
 

Attachments

#2
Excellent it fell into the right hands eventually. Sorry mate, don't mean to advise sucking eggs but it would be useful to have some kind of scale (gerber, ruler, plant machine(?) - ya get the idea) to give an idea of the...er...scale!
Might be good to post on RUM RATION, someone's bound to recognise it.
Cheers
Staaken
 
#3
War graves commision?

MoD?

Both organisations may be able to help.

Like wise, it may have come from the Islands themselves, so the islands may know where it came from.

It looks pretty specialised to the Maritime forces, so a quick phone/picture to the Royal Navy, Marines, Auxileries and Merchant Navy may find it's home.

It may be sh1t to mention it, but it could even be "justified" rubbish, in that the original place may have been closed. The plaque should be moved to a place of alternative honour, but sometimes these things slip through the net.

Any other distingushinging features that may not come out in the picture?
 
#5
Plymouth?

Try Devonport... it may have come off a ship during refit or decommisioning? Could even be from the Base itself.

Questions will be asked in the morning at work. Someone may recognise it.
 
#6
Fair one Staaken its 13"/331mm across the top by 9.5"/242mm across the bottom and 10"/254mm from top to bottom
Also just posted a link over to this page on RumRation :)
 
#8
Alright mate? I saw your post over on Rum Ration. I was pretty sure I recognised this plaque and now I am convinced. This is from the Falklands Memorial on Plymouth Hoe. Have a look here and scroll down to the bottom of the page. I would suggest you contact Plymouth City Council in the first instance.

Disrespectful, thieving bastard Janner scrotes!
 
#10
well done 662 let us know the outcome mate.
Have to agree with Harry off Hermes. litle barstewards want keelhauling
 
#11
PompeySailor said:
Interesting - it also seems to have been cut down to remove the drill/fixture holes in each corner!
It hasnt been cut down, the fixing points are four bolts welded onto the back ,it looks like it had been gripfiled to the stonework though

edit now ive checked out the link it looks very similar but not convinced its that one ,ive got a chance on thursday to run around a few places and have a check
but thanks for all of your help so far lads :D :D :wink:
 
#12
I'm just wondering whether it's been replaced by a new one, it being the 25th Anniversary.

If it is, the old one should've been destroyed rather than dumped.
 
#13
Ninja_Stoker said:
I'm just wondering whether it's been replaced by a new one, it being the 25th Anniversary.

If it is, the old one should've been destroyed rather than dumped.
Yeah, anything but dumped. Respect for our fallen, Not any more.
 
#14
Harry_off_the_Hermes said:
Alright mate? I saw your post over on Rum Ration. I was pretty sure I recognised this plaque and now I am convinced. This is from the Falklands Memorial on Plymouth Hoe. Have a look here and scroll down to the bottom of the page. I would suggest you contact Plymouth City Council in the first instance.

Disrespectful, thieving fatherless Janner scrotes!
Looking closely at it I would say that it is definately not the same plaque. Just justification of the badges at the top are different.

ATB
 
#15
Cheers Blind 662, it seems there was nothing sinister after all, however your very best intentions are very warmly welcomed over on Rum Ration.

A very big thank you from me & I'm sure most of our members that have the intelligence, would thank you also. (OK that makes at least 3 of us!)

Taken from Aberdeen Lad's post on Rum Ration:

Text from the following link.

www.warmemorials.org/W...y-Falk.htm

Falklands War Memorial, Plymouth Devon

The memorial on Plymouth Hoe is the only public monument in the area which lists the names of all the maritime personnel who died in the South Atlantic Falklands War in 1982. But the original workmanship proved unable to withstand the harsh West Country winters and the old engraved plates needed to be removed and replaced.

War Memorials Trust gave £150.00 towards the cost of producing new plates, engraving them to a greater depth than the originals and then applying an enamelling process to the lettering and graphics.

The thread from RR:

Rum Ration

Thanks guys- Respect.
 
#16
Thanks to everyone for all of your help and support ,Iknew I would get a answer from here or Rum Ration , now as a final question what the feck should I do with It know ,though Im in contact with a guy from SAMA in Exeter and waiting a reply from him , was thinking of a on line auction /Ebay and ALL proceeds going to SAMA ,what do you lot think ?
Thanks again Andy :wink: :wink:
 
#17
Ninja_Stoker said:
Cheers Blind 662, it seems there was nothing sinister after all, however your very best intentions are very warmly welcomed over on Rum Ration.

A very big thank you from me & I'm sure most of our members that have the intelligence, would thank you also. (OK that makes at least 3 of us!)

Taken from Aberdeen Lad's post on Rum Ration:

Text from the following link.

www.warmemorials.org/W...y-Falk.htm

Falklands War Memorial, Plymouth Devon

The memorial on Plymouth Hoe is the only public monument in the area which lists the names of all the maritime personnel who died in the South Atlantic Falklands War in 1982. But the original workmanship proved unable to withstand the harsh West Country winters and the old engraved plates needed to be removed and replaced.

War Memorials Trust gave £150.00 towards the cost of producing new plates, engraving them to a greater depth than the originals and then applying an enamelling process to the lettering and graphics.

The thread from RR:

Rum Ration

Thanks guys- Respect.
Ive had a look at the picture of the memorial on the War Memorials Trust website and if you zoom in the plaque on the picture looks similar to the one I have with no obvious fixing points but the colour ,may be its the picture , so hopefully nothing untoward has taken place 8)
 
#18
Thanks to everyone for all of your help and support ,Iknew I would get a answer from here or Rum Ration , now as a final question what the feck should I do with It know ,though Im in contact with a guy from SAMA in Exeter and waiting a reply from him , was thinking of a on line auction /Ebay and ALL proceeds going to SAMA ,what do you lot think ?
Thanks again Andy

Andy its been a long time since I was last in Plymouth, is HMS Drake still there?. I'm sure they would be able to find a place for it. Or perhaps the Dartmouth naval college.
 
#19
Didnt think of that Ti83 Im working in Dartmouth this week so will pop in and see what they say ,and give drake a ring to see if they want it :wink: :wink: :wink:
 
#20
Time for a sit rep receved this email from the war memorials trust today

Further to our earlier correspondence, I have now heard back from the organisation which arranged the restoration of the Plymouth Hoe War Memorial. One of their members has checked the memorial and it is still intact. I can only therefore conclude, as you have suggested, that the plaque you have found is a copy of the one used on the restored memorial and was discarded because it was surplus to requirements.



We have never had this situation before and I am not sure what you wish to do with the plaque you have found. However, as far as the Trust is concerned the plaque you have is not technically a war memorial because it has not been dedicated as such. I would, therefore, assume that you are free to do with the plaque what you wish, but if you do have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.


Ive spoken to a Exbooty mate of mine who was down south in 82 and asked him what he would like to happen to it ,and he thinks it should go in the mess in stonehouse ,hes having a word with a few others and will get back to me
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads