Stock up on your Sun Cream

As we seem to be rolling back the clock, one can hope we will be rolling back the rifle calibre too

Did SDSR get it wrong then?
Every year the MoD "considers" the possibility of scrapping the Red Arrows.

Every year this "may" come about.

Don't you just love how a professional journalist is able to stock up the fires of outrage!

They'll be dusting off them SLRs... The only thing that scares the Arabs!

As we seem to be rolling back the clock, one can hope we will be rolling back the rifle calibre too
That has to be a new speed record

Frank Gardner is an extremely professional journalist with enormous expreince in the Middle east and extremely good connections (and some of his copy is from the well-respected RUSI stable under Prof Michael Clarke). Moreover, he is still a Maj in the TA, I believe.

Finally, 40 years after creating a power vacuum after the British removed themselves from the Gulf, the penny has clicked that this is still an important part of the world...

Horray! Another warm-weather batch of RO jobs for the boys before they retire permanently

I would ascribe high credibility to this. A region which has a huge amount of UK interests at stake, where the local rulers like us, and where we get good training areas and bases for a song. This isnt so much a new policy, more a quiet affirmation of what has been going on in the background for a few years.
My view is you'll see mainly RAF/RN out there, with Army training teams and exercises, but not garrisons as such. The likelihood is that you won't see a Cyprus equivalent, more a useful collection of facilities and locations which play semi-permanent host to interesting capabilities when it suits our needs.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
With the drop in tourism, the locals need to fill the hotels. RAF will take up the slack. :)

Obviously it will be for regs only: ARABs only no STABs.:winkrazz:

I would ascribe high credibility to this. A region which has a huge amount of UK interests at stake, where the local rulers like us, and where we get good training areas and bases for a song. This isnt so much a new policy, more a quiet affirmation of what has been going on in the background for a few years.
My view is you'll see mainly RAF/RN out there, with Army training teams and exercises, but not garrisons as such. The likelihood is that you won't see a Cyprus equivalent, more a useful collection of facilities and locations which play semi-permanent host to interesting capabilities when it suits our needs.
Jimlad - are we the only people taking this article - and, more importantly the implications, seriously?