Stoats being strange again...

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by stoatman, Oct 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I need to get hold of some lead which has a decent arsenic content. I have been led to believe that shotshell shot, particularly Magnum shot, contains around 0.5-1.5% arsenic.

Is there a friendly clay club anywhere in the Southeast or South West of England where the shot falls into easily-collected piles that would be amenable to an idiot like me collecting some? I have thought of Bisley, but they are generally unamenable types these days... you do get a lot of shot hanging around on the green material though...

I'm currently casting from a mixture of Linotype and roofing lead, which contains no arsenic and won't quite get as hard as pure Linotype as a result when heat-treated.
  2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Strange bugger aren't you?!?!

Why not simply ask someone like me for some lead shot? I've got boxes of lead ingots with antimony and I've also got a direct source for lead shot.
  3. Yes, yes I am...

"People like you" normally want payment, and being half-Northern I like to get stuff for free whenever I can! :D

What's the going rate for Magnum for lead shot then? I don't care about the size, but apparently the smaller ones have more arsenic (which is what I want).

By the way, I'm currently sitting on about 350 kg of used Linotype, but I have been bitten by the "must cast ever harder for my rifles" bug...
  4. what are you casting? If you don't mind me asking.
  5. I'm currently casting 45ACP (Lee 230gn TC), which I can get adequately hard with no troubles.

I'm also casting Lee 312-160-TL for 303" and would actually like to get some velocity on it, hence the hardness, and I'm also looking at getting a Lyman 311-130gn mould for my 7.62 x 39, and since it is plain base I want it as hard as I can get it.

Even though I have a ridiculous amount of Linotype, I don't want to cast it pure in any quantities, since I want the supply essentially to last me forever. Plus, if I can get some arsenic-containing lead, I should be able to add some of that to my standard mix and push a hardness of 27-30.
  6. 3 clay clubs near SPTA, Lains Quarley, clay shoot at Cadley, and the shooting club near pewsey. Don't recollect piles of spent shot lying about though..
  7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

As for the bases, why not chuck a copper base plate onto the cast after it's made?

Don't know if you're interested but I've got boxes, and boxes, and boxes of Canadian 'Accuracy' .45 ACP bullets, not to mention a considerable number of fired cases - all cheaper than trade ;-)
  8. Just curious - how on earth were you planning on picking up the spent shot?!
  9. With a lead magnet... ;) anyway...

At Bisley it gathers reasonable depth at the edge of the green netting, so I was planning on just scooping it up any places where you get a reasonable depth of the stuff.

I don't need an awful lot, 25-50 pounds would last me an awfully long time.
  10. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

FFS, just shoot her, don't poison her :twisted:
  11. She can shoot back, hence the need for the arsenic!
  12. It's not just a question of gas checking, plus the Lyman mould is plain base so won't take a gas check anyway. It does however have just the right nose shape to feed properly from the magazine.

Reference the Canadian bullets, you have p.m.
  13. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Get the first shot in (works most times)
  14. Peter Starley at Warwick sells metallic arsenic and pure tin for adding to lead..

Wash your hands afterwards..

Though wheelweights also have a high arsenic content.
  15. Thanks.

Since lead wheel weights are obsolete, they are very hard to get. I have been alloying Linotype with roofing lead at 1:2 +1% tin to get approximately equal properties, but it does not heat-treat the same, hence the need for some arsenic content.

I shall try Mr Starley if I can't get any magnum shot.