Stitch.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by snarlos, Sep 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For the past week i've been getting the most unbearable stitch just below my ribcage on the right hand side.

It only flares up when i'm attempting my sprints or my 1.5 mile run. It's so bad i have to stop after about 8 minutes in agony and i struggle to take deep breaths for a few minutes after this.

I don't have any problems when i'm running distances at lower speeds only when i'm running fast, then for a few days after this i can feel it even when i walk places.

I'm starting to worry now as i start basic in a weeks time and i can't manage to complete the 1.5 mile distance.

Any help/advice would be great. Thanks.

2. I get this to mate and suffer alot from it.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/injuries/a/aa053100a.htm

3. Thanks for the link.

I'll give the breathing tips a go tomorrow.

4. Also, eat a banana before a run.

Seriously.

5. Yeah..

Every morning i eat a round of toast and a banana 2 hours before my run. I've never had any problems with stitches before only the past week or so.

6. Oh right. Might be some problems with your body shifting that build up of lactic acid (if you didn't know that already).. hmm.. I used to have problems with stitches untill I broke that barrier (longer distance). :O

7. When I try to run the 1.5 mile I get a pain in my right shoulder, anyone else get this or is it the way I swing my arms?
    help appreciated

8. Is it pain or is aching?. You might find you get a little aching i don't no why but it happens sometimes. Only thing i could say is don't swing your arms so quick or just change the way you move them if you understand what i mean. Failing that have a chat to you GP when you next see them.

9. Used to get it donkeys ago. Found i was tense when running. Relax and it wont happen.

10. Thanks for advice

11. I'll second that. Admittedly I did smash my back up pretty bad first though.

12. This is something I've experienced and have a theory about.

The diaphragm is supplied by the same nerve roots that supply sensation to your shoulder. Irritation of the diaphragm leads to shoulder tip pain in conditions like hepatitis, so it may be that your diaphragm is being irritated when you run, or that it is simply out of shape! It is part muscle after all, I wouldn't be surprised if that is the reason for shoulder pain when running. Although this is pure speculation and may be utter BS!

13. I used to get stitches in my side and under my collar bone when I first started running (admittedly 20-odd years ago). I found a good way to get rid of them was to take a deep breath and hold it as long as I could while running. I guess it must have stretched the right muscles.

Apart from that, up the distance and forget about times for a bit. Increased stamina works wonders for all the little niggles you get at first.

14. I sometimes get a realy bad pain in my neck when running. On the right side, were it meets the shoulder, just in the hollow behind the coller bone. Somebody told me it might be cramp but it feels different. Breathing in hurts to. I can normaly just run it off, but it hurts like hell.