Stilly's Questions and Tips

Discussion in 'Photography' started by re-stilly, Jun 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have started this thread as people have been asking a number of questions on what kit I use, how I get the images I take etc. So if you have any questions or wish to pitch in with your tips and kit then please do.

If you wish to have a look at my Photography please have a browse through my FlickR account which in my Sig Block.

2. ancienturion

ancienturion LE Book Reviewer

I am just making sure it is flagged up whenever something is contributed but I will wait and see just how smart everyone is before I say anything.
  3. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Stilly, why did you choose the 150-500 and how have you found it weight-wise? I've looked at the 100-400L (maybe when I feel richer!) but am concerned it's a bit too much lens to lug around for wildlife stuff unless in a vehicle.

Also, why Lightroom? I presume you shoot RAW. I use a combination of Canon's DPP and Adobe PS Elements and to be honest can do almost everything I want in the (free) DPP programme.

Good idea to start this thread BTW.
  4. My wife has developed quite a liking for photography ( no Monty Python jokes please) and as such is getting a little more advanced than the Cannon digital camera I bought her last year. I would like to get her a fairly decent SLR with changeable lenses that could help her further. Tips and advice on suitable models most welcome

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  5. Scary

I chose the 150-500 basically for the extra length, as a lot of the stuff I shoot is either quite a way away or small, the focus at 500 can be a bit soft but as long as you use a reasonable shutter. If you use a monopod the weight is not too bad but I am a big bloke so it is OK for me, plus it comes with IS so that helps as well.

I have Lightroom and Photoshop, I prefer lightroom as the workflow is better and I can quickly do what I want to I normally only crop change exposure, cropping and general post processing work, it also uses less diskspace than photoshop. I always shoot in RAW as it gives greater flexibility than JPEG.
  6. My first tip would be go to a shop and get to pick up a camera to make sure it is comfortable in the hand, and the weight is OK. I am a Canon man but I would suggest either Canon or Nikon, other makes are available but those 2 come with the most 3rd party accessories.

The Canon 1100D has some good reviews as does the Nikon3100 these are both entry level, but it is very much horses for courses. It also depends on how much you are willing to spend, it is sometimes better to invest in the lenses as these can move from camera to camera and once you have the lenses you wish then invest in a decent body.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Didn't want to be the first to ask a bone question, but my curiosity got the better of me.
    A couple of times you have referred to shooting photies in "RAW", could you provide an idiots guide as to the benefits, and what it actually means please.
  8. Jcm

There are normally 2 types of file when you take an image on a digital camera, the most common is jpeg, this is a preformatted image and formatted and compressed by the cameras internal software, This will result in loss of detail and definition in the image. RAW however is uncompressed and is the basic binary data of the image, this holds all the information prior to it being compressed so normally a much larger file (my 7D produces 20mb images) this however means you have greater control when editing in programs such as Lightroom, Photoshop etc. You can change all aspects of teh image from exposure through to saturation and sharpness.

Most serious photographers will shoot in RAW as I have said control over teh image is far greater than a compressed image such as a JPEG.

Hope this helps.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Agreed - I'm using the Canon 1100D for my photography and it's relatively simple to use, lightweight and compact enough to chuck into my backpack when I'm off exploring, produces good results and I'm not mortally afraid of dropping it - which I would be if I stumped up for a more advanced model.
  10. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

For anyone using a camera in the Canon 1100D-300D range (this range is called the "Rebel" in the US) there's a superb FAQ full of excellent tips and loads of links to other useful resources here Rebel Forum FAQ: Digital Photography Review useful info for users of other cameras too.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Adobe are currently trialing Lightroom 5.

It's available as a free download whilst it's in Beta testing here:
  12. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

See what you did there.
  13. FrosteeMARIA

FrosteeMARIA LE Gallery Guru

I'd agree with that - I picked up the Canon 1100D, came bundled with lens and a few other bits and pieces. Very happy with it so far, although I have made a few duff selections with 3rd party lenses.
    Looking to upgrade soon-ish....
  14. FrosteeMARIA

FrosteeMARIA LE Gallery Guru

The only disadvantage I've found using RAW is the amount of card space needed....I need to be more selective in shots in the first place, but have acquired a few more memory cards just in case!