Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Still no ovens in the block?

Afternoon all,

So after some time out I've decided I'm getting back in, wanted to know what the have in the blocks as when I left it was only microwaves in the 'kitchen'.
Only wandering due to being fed up of mess Hall scoff.

Afternoon all,

So after some time out I've decided I'm getting back in, wanted to know what the have in the blocks as when I left it was only microwaves in the 'kitchen'.
You're probably better of staying in civvie street where they have ovens in the kitchen.

I'm sure you'll find one of these on every floor now.

754c9fabca4f2a8a15fe5bda3bd55292.jpg

Afternoon all,

Depends on where you are posted to, most of the new blocks in Gutersloh had cookers, then the camp was handed back...
Most blocks in the UK have a microwave and not much else, the blokes have George Foremans, rice cookers and the like which they have to hide on inspections.

Would the blokes in german have been allowed due to it being german accomodation?
We had all the same down at Picton bks, we had to hide ours an all

Would the blokes in german have been allowed due to it being german accomodation?
We had all the same down at Picton bks, we had to hide ours an all

The cookers in Gutersloh, Germany were part of the SLAM accommodation, a proper little kitchen with fridge, cooker, microwave, kettle, sink, fire blanket and extinguisher.
In the UK its tends to be a utility room witha microwave.

God forbid that an Apache pilot should attempt to operate a kettle...

Afternoon all,

For permanent accommodation (X & Y have different entitlements) you should be provided with:

Microwave
Fridge
Kettle (or hot water boiler)
Time limited hobs (Likely that most wont have these due to failure to meet fire regulation, and in a few modern builds they were fitted for but not with hobs

The above should be provided in the ‘kitchenette snack preparation area’.

Toasters are not an entitlement in SLA, but many locations issued them to QMs on request, so there was a perceived entitlement & when I was subject lead I endorsed them making it almost policy to provide them

The ‘cooking in the block’ trial a few years ago in Aldershot brought in ECAB endorsement of additional items such as George Formans and electric woks. This trial was under PAC and sets the fire requirements.
Recently FYB had posts where someone in Larkhill has decided that policy does not apply, with ‘this should not have been sent to this garrison’
It is entirely intended to apply to Larkhill as that is part of PAC and the trial was intended to identify what is suitable for that PFI contract (As PAC holds liability for fire & insures the PAC estate for fire)
Either someone is being a cock in Larkhill or has not bothered to take the actions required to bring their SLA to standard
These extra items are not Army funded, but a list of what soldiers would be permitted to bring in. Units may opt to use their own fundi

Outside of PAC, it has always been up to the local commander to decide what self catering is permitted and what personal items can be used (except for in bedrooms where it is forbidden)
The cooking in the block paper was used as guidance for places outside of PAC

Where there are blanket bans forbidding soldiers from using their own items it only causes them to be hidden and for midnight drunken cooking fires

An edition of Soldier magazine covered when the results of the trial went into army policy, and its referenced in the army healthy cook book.

Last edited:
Only meal less than £2 is breakfast and I'm sure that's over £1.50 now.
I think it's £1.43 for a good, hearty breakfast. £2.26 for a lunch. And I think it's £1.63 for dinner. Stand ready to be corrected.

Either way. It's good food as far as I am concerned and no washing up or risking death by using some uncleaned, gopping microwave in the block.

You can also talk to your mates at the table.

Or you can hide in your room between w*nks and shovel down some god aweful TV dinner whilst watching TOWIE or playing nintendo.

You can't complain about the cookhouses of today. I was in one only recently. Splendid, and open for about six hours for meal time. So none of this 'it doesn't work for me' rubbish. And somesort of coffee shop/cafe for the rest of the time.

Only meal less than £2 is breakfast and I'm sure that's over £1.50 now.
Or just buy some scran from the cookhouse for less than £2 a pop...
Meals in the cookhouse are priced as per the PAYD core menu prices set by the AFPRB:

Core meal prices are derived from the DFC: breakfast 25 per cent;
main meal 41 per cent;
third meal 34 per cent.
......a new DFC of £5.45 was implemented in February 2020. (Edited to add - £5.45 probably excludes VAT, which is to be added to the allowance paid)

So core menu prices should be:
Breakfast £1.36
Lunch £2.23
Evening £1.85
But they can and will offer other choices

Last edited:
Note that any unit who informs soldiers they are not permitted to exercise their choice in self catering ‘because of the contract’ is passing on erroneous information.
Defence and Army policy is for bulk catering via diner and mess kitchens, but soldiers should be permitted to use the facilities as per scale and spend their PAYD allowance as they wish

It’s hard to continue the argument ‘because of the contract’ when a policy has been issued in line with the contract stating what additional self catering equipment soldiers are permitted to use (and under what terms)

Note that any unit who informs soldiers they are not permitted to exercise their choice in self catering ‘because of the contract’ is passing on erroneous information.
Defence and Army policy is for bulk catering via diner and mess kitchens, but soldiers should be permitted to use the facilities as per scale and spend their PAYD allowance as they wish

It’s hard to continue the argument ‘because of the contract’ when a policy has been issued in line with the contract stating what additional self catering equipment soldiers are permitted to use (and under what terms)

Its a pretty standard lie in a lot of units.

ericferret

War Hero
Cooking facilities, what luxury.

In Germany circa 1975 we didn't even have a washing machine.

However this ommision was rectified by an Ireland tour.

Our Q.M was good mates with the man who held the books for Long Kesh.
One dark night after a few beers the paperwork was "adjusted".

Suddenly we had a surplus washing machine and the R.E.M.E workshop were deficient one.

We loaded it onto a pallet and were packing it up for shipping back to Germany as "unserviceable aircraft parts".

Into the hangar walks the Squadron O.C Major H who make a beeline for the stolen goods.

"Whats that Corporal G?"

Don't know sir.

O.C prods package.
"It appears to be a washing machine Corporal G"

Is it sir?

"I'm not supposed to know about this am I Corporal G"

No sir.

"Very well carry on Corporal G" !!!!!!!

Times have clearly changed.

Mattb

LE
I think it's £1.43 for a good, hearty breakfast. £2.26 for a lunch. And I think it's £1.63 for dinner. Stand ready to be corrected.

Either way. It's good food as far as I am concerned and no washing up or risking death by using some uncleaned, gopping microwave in the block.

You can also talk to your mates at the table.

Or you can hide in your room between w*nks and shovel down some god aweful TV dinner whilst watching TOWIE or playing nintendo.

You can't complain about the cookhouses of today. I was in one only recently. Splendid, and open for about six hours for meal time. So none of this 'it doesn't work for me' rubbish. And somesort of coffee shop/cafe for the rest of the time.
The quality of cookhouses is deeply variable,.

Even if it wasn't, some adults actually quite like cooking their own food. But in the military, you're not an adult until you get married of course.

NemoIII

War Hero

So core menu prices should be:
Breakfast £1.36
Lunch £2.23
Evening £1.85
But they can and will offer other choices

Im Deployed on operations at the moment but these prices are not accurate at all?

Across a range of establishments
Breakfast ~£1.60
Lunch ~£2.20
Dinner ~£2.70

So what you're saying is soldiers are being ripped off?

Latest Threads