Still Like Combats

Chef

LE
Shame SASS went out of business, they had some damn good kit!!
They certainly did reading the catalogue was the nearest I got to the feeling as a tiny tot going through the Littlewood catalogue looking at the toys and air rifles.

Not good enough to make any money though apparently.
Au contraire, when it was in house they could step out of the office and talk to the workers. As the local workers retired they tried outsourcing to eastern Europe and found they couldn't get the quality or flexibility and it all went downhill from there.

Surprising really! The kit wasnt cheap I know but WAS decent!!
And were happy to make it to one's own requirement.

But has anyone, ever, been able to explain those abominations - woollen half-hose to be worn in hot, steamy countries only, with boy-scout gaiter flashes in Corps colours? And KD bush jackets with the belts cut off (the bits not stitched at the back, that is) and tucked inside a pair of KD shorts that looked like something off Spike MIlligan?

Or is it all just a horrible nigthmare made up in my head?
It ain't half hot mum ;) :)

I’ve got two pairs of 1980s Wehrmacht moleskin combat trousers the feldgrau ones. They are the comfortable pair of strides I've owned. Can't get them any more, so will be right pissed when I their worn out.

But has anyone, ever, been able to explain those abominations - woollen half-hose to be worn in hot, steamy countries only, with boy-scout gaiter flashes in Corps colours? And KD bush jackets with the belts cut off (the bits not stitched at the back, that is) and tucked inside a pair of KD shorts that looked like something off Spike MIlligan?

Or is it all just a horrible nigthmare made up in my head?

Starched KD/OG decently tailored, blancoed 37 pattern belt with burnished brasses, tartan hose tops, boots, and puttees..... we thought we were the dogs bollocks!

Jammy66

War Hero
Military 'style' has always been in, a lot of mens clothing is based on uniform styling, although it might not be camo pattern!

Combat jackets are great for general wear with all the pockets and a style that doesn't go out of fashion. Why buy a pretend one from Next or Hackett when you can get the real deal for a fraction of the price at a surplus store?

Same goes for combat pants but just as with denim, don't double up (unless you're actually in the forces in uniform or paintballing or at a military re-enactment show).

Oyibo

LE
I have a sad confession to make - CS95 trousers are excellent and I still wear them for gardening, walking the dog, and rummaging through the country side. They are also bloody good for lounging around the house.

The 'arse-hangers' that were issued before them were a crime against humanity, sartorial elegence, ergonomics, everything

But i'm f*cked if I'd troop around town in DPM

The_Poltroon

Clanker
Nothing wrong with cutting about the place wearing combats

They're hardwearing, functional and ideal for dog walking etc etc as they have lots of pockets for leads, dog biscuits and other hound exercising gear

The latest issue MTP windproof smocks are superb and even come with handwarmer pockets.

Just the job for popping your hands in whilst you watch and wait for an excitable Staffordshire Bull Terrier to come back after chasing a selection of hares and pheasants around a Welsh field

Latest Threads