Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stig of the Dump

RedDinger

Old-Salt
My 8 year old Grandson told me they had just started reading Stig of the Dump in school.

I read this in school in the 60's.

Has it been compulsory reading forever, or has it skipped any generations?

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
It wasn't on our reading list when I was at school and I was 8 in the late 70's

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
My sister watched in on telly (early 80's)

We were supposed to read it at school in the sixties. I think I forgot to. I remember the title but nothing else about it.
There was another story we read back then - The Pig Man - does anyone remember it?

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
We had it on audiobook in the car for long journeys.
Both kids lapped it up.
A true classic children's book.

Slime

LE
Yes, an excellent book, and pretty good kids TV show later on.

I did start to type up a reply asking if the thread was about the former Labour party leader, but given the age of the book/tv show it could equally have been about Micheal Foot as Corbyn.

RedDinger

Old-Salt
It seem we have most decades covered then. Its good to see it stood the test of time.

My 8 year old Grandson told me they had just started reading Stig of the Dump in school.

I read this in school in the 60's.

Has it been compulsory reading forever, or has it skipped any generations?
It was on our reading list late 80's / early 90's. Great book.

Our junior school began a book club through which we could buy books at heavily discounted prices. The newly-released Stig of the Dump was one of the first titles available. Must have been 1964.

I can't remember the storyline but it must have been something about a car-driving stormtrooper.

It was nowhere near as popular as Down with Skool.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
It seem we have most decades covered then. Its good to see it stood the test of time.

we have all decades covered

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
[And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

And @jarrod248 shouted 'turn that light out, I'm sleeping'

Just googled the Author - Clive King. Died 2018, and served in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve in the last couple of years of WWII. Wikipedia:

"From 1943 to 1946 He served as a Sub-Lieutenant in the Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve, which took him to the Arctic, India, Ceylon (now Sri Lanka), Australia, Malaya and Japan, where he saw the then recent devastation of Hiroshima."

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
we have all decades covered

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
[And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

And @jarrod248 shouted 'turn that light out, I'm sleeping'
And lo God looked at you and said ‘Did you like that uncle Toppers?’

I read it in primary school. Would have been 1981.

Then I went to Grammar School and had to read that awful shite from Charles Dickens. Our English Lit teacher was hot. She asked me once "S.D., what do you think Dickens meant by (something) ?"

I replied "I have no idea Miss, and frankly, I don't care" She and the whole class laughed.

Juno and the Paycock, universally known as Juno and the Shitehawk. Rubbish.

Arms and the Man. What the absolute hell was that about?

But, the champion has to be "Immensee" by Theodor Storm. I had to read this in German, for A Level. A lot of nonsense.

Honourable mention to "Der Besuch Der Alten Dame." The author was quite clearly on drugs. Midgets and sex robots.

Der Besuch der alten Dame: Eine tragische Komödie (German Edition) eBook: Dürrenmatt, Friedrich: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store

Latest Threads