Stiff Upper Lip

The clapping thing is tiresome as I have to remember not to be outside the front of the house on a Thursday at 8pm watering the garden or cleaning the car for fear of having to speak to the neighbours and watch them act like a bunch of demented wind-up chimps banging cymbals together.

The virtue signalling that makes my teeth itch as a traffic engineer is the one that Council Highways teams are doing over the roadspace. If you want to write a message to motorists saying that you're thanking the NHS why not just stick it on a banner? Instead they're marking the road in letters that are half the size they're meant to be, in places where they are a distraction to motorists. The letters can't be read by approaching motorists but can make for an Instagram PR photo with Councillors when viewed from an angle that no driver would see unless they're in the cab of an HGV.
19-1120B_A4_NHS_Sign-1588780078625.jpg--thank_you_nhs.jpg

The reality is that it's a blob of road marking
NHS1.png

..until you get right on top of it and some drivers slow down to read it and get shunted from behind... On a 40mph road like below it's gone before it's even seen...
NHS2.png

And when the marking gets worn is it going to be repainted or left to wear away and risk the local NHS whingeing that "The Council doesn't care about the NHS anymore! They've even left the road marking to disappear!!"

Last edited:
The clapping thing is tiresome as I have to remember not to be outside the front of the house on a Thursday at 8pm watering the garden or cleaning the car for fear of having to speak to the neighbours and watch them act like a bunch of demented wind-up chimps banging cymbals together.

It's quite useful, just tip all your bottles of booze in the recycling bin on a Thursday night, and no one will think you're an alcoholic

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'm pulling your leg. Social Media says that anyone who refuses to clap for the NHS must hate the organisation. Don't buck the zeitgeist.
I refuse to clap.

I don't hate all the NHS

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I just said that there has been a spike in deaths, I also pointed out the 30000 were spread out over a couple of months and not all at once due to the lockdown. Im sure people that lived because the NHS coped disagree with you saying that it was not necessary. Incidentally panic buying has nothing to do with government, just the bellend general public.

Why are you talking about SARS? if the death rate was the same as SARS we would be in the shit. SARS was not as contagious as Covid 19, you might as well compare the black death or a normal flu to covid 19.

A pandemic hit and not all the right decisions were made instantly? Theres a surprise. :roll: Cheers Captain Obvious.

why am I talking about SARS? probably because of where it sits on the table just above MERS and below C19/bat flu.

the clue is in the name - SARS 2 I would have thought.

a 'pandemic' did not hit and the right decisions were made and then nulled because of politics.

SARS was also not as dangerous as first estimated nor was MERS, nor indeed is ebola as they all tend to mutate out to an unpleasant bout of flu.

SARS and MERS and covid 19 (which is incorrect) have been in the population for over a decade before they went viral so to speak. a certain amount of immunity is in their already - this was never going to be the 'spanish flu' they base the models and hysteria on.

all this is stable door politics and procedures.

if it hadn't been given a name and it had been left alone there would be a bad flu year and nobody would say anything. add a sh$t load of hype, spin and bad information and it becomes the world ending super plague to beat all world ending super plagues.

the CDC figure for US 2019- 2020 flu hospitalisations 550,000=750,00 infected 56m and around 62,000 deaths to april. most of which are on the C19 figures just like in the UK.

the end of the year audit will show up some interesting figures when we find that the death rates average out, a few died earlier and few died unexpectedly but the figures balance out.

so we have a massive number of lower respiratory tract infections (pneumonia) and lots or dementia/altzeimers deaths because people in that category have massively compromised health and immune systems.

there's a good 100-150,000 I would expect to see die earlier with the assistance of C19 but I do not consider them extra deaths as is being claimed.

tragic but expected and inevitable. people die, its a fact of life.

Aren’t the statistics more about changes to life expectancy? Examples being the old boy with leukaemia at 82. Expected to die at 83. But the virus brings his death forward by 6 months. Statistically only marginally different. It’s been said by others but I feel that the mass concentration, world wide, on the Wuhan Virus has left a lot of others vulnerable to an early death from late or non diagnosis of treatable problems. Will these eventually be registered as CoVid19 deaths?

It’s been the law since mid March that you must wear a mask whilst outside but it doesn’t seem to have made much difference to the transmission rates, with Peru now up to 12th in the league!

64A25885-C89E-4042-B566-63B00B8C4AC7.png

why am I talking about SARS? probably because of where it sits on the table just above MERS and below C19/bat flu.

the clue is in the name - SARS 2 I would have thought.

a 'pandemic' did not hit and the right decisions were made and then nulled because of politics.

SARS was also not as dangerous as first estimated nor was MERS, nor indeed is ebola as they all tend to mutate out to an unpleasant bout of flu.

SARS and MERS and covid 19 (which is incorrect) have been in the population for over a decade before they went viral so to speak. a certain amount of immunity is in their already - this was never going to be the 'spanish flu' they base the models and hysteria on.

all this is stable door politics and procedures.

if it hadn't been given a name and it had been left alone there would be a bad flu year and nobody would say anything. add a sh$t load of hype, spin and bad information and it becomes the world ending super plague to beat all world ending super plagues.

the CDC figure for US 2019- 2020 flu hospitalisations 550,000=750,00 infected 56m and around 62,000 deaths to april. most of which are on the C19 figures just like in the UK.

the end of the year audit will show up some interesting figures when we find that the death rates average out, a few died earlier and few died unexpectedly but the figures balance out.

so we have a massive number of lower respiratory tract infections (pneumonia) and lots or dementia/altzeimers deaths because people in that category have massively compromised health and immune systems.

there's a good 100-150,000 I would expect to see die earlier with the assistance of C19 but I do not consider them extra deaths as is being claimed.

tragic but expected and inevitable. people die, its a fact of life.
Here a link to differences between SARs and covid 19
That's why you shouldnt compare them.
Once again, if everyone who died or just got sick, did so at once (or in the period of a couple of weeks) the NHS would not have coped. More people would have died because the NHS would not have managed.

You say the US death toll for flu was 60k in a year. Covid 19 is now close to 100k and isn't looking like it stopping. And that's with various lockdowns across the state.

19-1120B_A4_NHS_Sign-1588780078625.jpg--thank_you_nhs.jpg

And when the marking gets worn is it going to be repainted or left to wear away and risk the local NHS whingeing that "The Council doesn't care about the NHS anymore! They've even left the road marking to disappear!!"
[/QUOTE]
no, they last for years , there was a huge erect penis painted on the A92 between Kirkcaldy and Glenrothes a few years ago took years just to fade,

I refuse to clap.

I don't hate all the NHS
Ah, come on. Show some solidarity with the 'eroes of the NHS while they're still in the country. It will be too late when the crisis is over and Priti Vacant has them all deported.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Ah, come on. Show some solidarity with the 'eroes of the NHS while they're still in the country. It will be too late when the crisis is over and Priti Vacant has them all deported.
Great, where's she sending me? Somewhere nice and sunny, I hope

Mufulira

War Hero
It's quite useful, just tip all your bottles of booze in the recycling bin on a Thursday night, and no one will think you're an alcoholic
I miss the tinkling sound of many, empty booze bottles cascading from the recycle wheelie bin on a Monday morn -- oftentimes when I had too many bottles, the excess was surreptitiously placed in my neighbor's wheelie bin to the delight of the other neighbors who became amazed at the sounds of a waterfall of empties pouring into the Garbage Truck from just one weekend's consumption!

I hijacked next doors recycling bins the evening before the council lorry came to empty them.

Told them that she was single because of her drink problem. She called me all the bastards under the sun. She's tee total.